Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am co-driving at sno drift and really dont know what to bring. how does this differ from a warm rally? I cant afford 200 dollar nomex long johns, should i wear regular ones (and what material is best), should i bring a jacket in the car? boots? what other stuff should i be prepared with being the co-driver?

Thanks, John Nørdlie #684 PGT Talon tsi.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Wait! You are from the land of 10 month winter and you want to know what to wear????!!!!! I'd say wear what you normally would wear in MN in, say, July.}(

Seriously, ask Bruce Weinman or Doug Havir or Al Kintigh. All live in your area and all have been here. Personally, I wore my 3-layer driving suit and warm boots in the car, and carried a winter jacket, thermal gloves, and snowborder's hat (ask Al or Heidi). Have an entrenching tool in the car with you (folding Army shovel to you civilians).

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
I tend to wear a couple of layers of clothing under my (2-layer) suit. Long johns and a long-sleeve cotton shirt with sweatpants and a fleece top usually do it. Add snow boots and that keeps me (mostly) warm in the car. I carry a warm jacket, hat, scarf, gloves, and mitts in the car - one suggestion would be insulated work gloves in case you have to change tires etc. (they have the added advantage of allowing you to hold hot engine parts for short periods of time, but that's a different topic...).

Make sure you have at least one shovel in the car. A scoop plus an entrencing tool is a good combination. Make sure your towstrap is easy to get to. Also remember a snowbrush and ice scraper - carry the scraper where you can reach it in the car (for when the inside of the windshield ices up).

Adrian

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
As a Navie you don't have to wear driver shoes so bring warm boots and definitely a warm jacket.
Gloves and hat are another eccellent item. Also what a lot of teams forget is water and snack items. Sometimes it can be a long wait to start or get pulled out, and, your body can't maintain heat without nourishment. Caffein drinks are not recommended because caffein actually dehydrates your body and can lead to hypothermia quicker.
Shovel, tow-strap and such should be in the car and most drivers have that anyway.

Whiplash RallyeSport
(Rallye isn't a crime)

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
long johns +

For WHEN you stuff it and have to wait for sweep and maybe your crew (if not this year, then some year) - you will be out there a long time, so BOTH people in the car NEED coats, mittens (gloves 2nd choice), STOCKING CAP !, water. If your driver wears driving shoes, then either a 2nd pair of boots for him/her, or rubbers/overshoes/galoshes to go over his shoes to keep his feet dry.

As far as your underwear, regular polypropelene would be my LAST choice. Think IF you did have a fire, what would those do to your body. Nomex is best, cotton would be down the list.

>I cant afford
>200 dollar nomex long johns, should i wear regular ones (and
>what material is best), should i bring a jacket in the car?
>boots?

press on,

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: long johns +

>For WHEN you stuff it and have to wait for sweep and maybe
>your crew (if not this year, then some year) - you will be out
>there a long time, so BOTH people in the car NEED coats,
>mittens (gloves 2nd choice), STOCKING CAP !, water. If your
>driver wears driving shoes, then either a 2nd pair of boots
>for him/her, or rubbers/overshoes/galoshes to go over his
>shoes to keep his feet dry.
>
>As far as your underwear, regular polypropelene would be my
>LAST choice. Think IF you did have a fire, what would those
>do to your body. Nomex is best, cotton would be down the
>list.
>
>press on,

And don't forget your 2005 RA PRR in the appropriate 3-ring binder, to warm your co-driver heart.:+

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I'm also bringing a significant other just in case the heat should happen to fail in our room at night.

Kent Gardam

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
She's not on the list Kent...

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
>
>what other stuff should i be prepared with being the
>co-driver?
>
. . . Huevos ... and a bunch of warm clothes ...

.... and sunscreen, and a beach towel,
and an umbrella for the sun, and
lots of cold drinks ...

}( ..stuck in another 72 degree day
"when is it going to warm up ? "

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd recommend bringing your own beer if you like anything made outside of Milwaukee or St. Louis.

A hundred dollar bill from one bank might assist you in getting out of another bank.

If the organizers plan on a champagne spray, you might need to bring that too. I'm sure you can get wine that has a bottlecap, but sparkling might be a bit tough.

Carharts.

Remember, poly tarps SUCK for working on in the snow. They are very slippery and you should be very careful to avoid injury. You might even want to try large sheets of cardboard if it isn't too wet and sloppy (warm). These will have an insular quality, too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK, maybe I'm a little paranoid after running the Alcan Winter Rally, but I always pack my zero-degree sleeping bag and backpacking stove. You never know when you'll need to build a snow cave.

Also, a rally hoe works much better than a shovel for scooping snow from under a car.

Kala
The other kind of Rally Ho

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>OK, maybe I'm a little paranoid

You're riding with one of two drivers from south of the Mason-Dixon line and you're only a little paranoid?

EXCELLENT!!! ;-)

Rally hoes - Rally Ho's ... I just ain't goin there ...

"Sleepingbagless" ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS, let's get it on in Group F!
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Having just read Kala's response about her sleeping bag, I can attest to the following seen for sale in the catalogue "HQ" for Gov't surplus. Web site is www.sportsmansguide.com They are being offered for the first time.

They're selling ex-British Gov't sleeping bags for $49.97 I have one which I forgot to hand in on my departure! Back in '86, the price was 120 British pounds for a new one!

On exercise in Germany, I have slept outside, in a farmyard with no cover, in -10 degrees and never had a problem. I will not part with mine for any amount of cash!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, i got to practice getting a car unstuck. were ahving a massive blizzard (half foot of snow and 30-45 mph winds) and some huge snowdrifts. got my car stuck twice on the way to lowes to buy a huge shovel and a hoe. got stuck 10 feet from my parking spot and spent 30 minutes shoveling and trying to un high center myself.x(

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Bummer! I thought we were having it bad here with the temps in the mid 70's, no wind and clear skies.

Stay safe!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts