Special Stage Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
There must be a reason people are willing to pay as much (or more) for a used radio rather a new one.
One reason is lack of research & getting carried away when bidding. I have seen people pay more for a used Yaesu 2900 on eBay (e.g. $180 after shipping) than you can buy a brand new one at retail (~ $165 incl. tax). There are also currently plenty of new Yaesu 2900s selling on eBay in the $230-240 range after shipping i.e. $65-$75 over market value.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Taking a break between assignments of RNY - some quick thoughts.

Some of those new radios you see going for more then the typical dealer prices have been modded for out of band operation (MARS mod) and the technically challenged are willing to pay the premium.
Some people buy those modded radios for thier business uses - a cheap (illegal) way to get a business radio.

Some folks pay too much because they want to have the same radio in each of their vehicles for consistency sake - or may have the programing software and want everything compatible.

And of course, lots of people get caught up in the frenzy or just don't have a clue.

jb

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CE-RoHs-UV-...US_Ham_Radio_Transmitters&hash=item3a7597060b

anyone know if this is useful for in-car/service/marshal listening setup?
Hi, I think that although it is "cheap Chinese," it will work well enough for listening to net, perhaps not to other peers, but that can be tough even with a real setup.
I would suggest the UV-5R however, since it has a bit more features, more power (4W) and is only $5 more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-UV-...12906?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item1e74bc3f4a
Also an aftermarket antenna can make a big difference, I just ordered this one, although I haven't tested it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181026286509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Beware though, these radios do not have any band restrictions, this may be seen as a plus, but it does put them in a certain grey area as far as legality goes.
This actually saved me once when the FRS radios the finish control leader brought had trouble over the measly distance between the control and the line, but my UV-5R had no trouble. Unlicensed FRS use is required to be less than 500mW with a non-detachable antenna, so at low power (1W) the radio was still over spec, but I'm sure no one minded >.>

·
Registered
570 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CE-RoHs-UV-...US_Ham_Radio_Transmitters&hash=item3a7597060b

anyone know if this is useful for in-car/service/marshal listening setup?

We have had folks use those, and their more powerful "relatives", and other of similar ilk
(Wouxun, Puxing, etc) at STPR for: general net monitoring, SuperSpecial work, "close quarters" stage crew work (FRS radios are the more usual choice, but at some of our big spectator areas there are a lot of spectators using the channels), low power assignments near repeaters (WM stages), etc. Here are some reviews from eham.net: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9749

As Kent indicated the low power output will OFTEN limit any transmitting use for rally work; even the 5 watt HT's (handie-talkies) will suffer the same fate. Be aware that some units are NOT FCC APPROVED, and could potentially position you for various legal repercussions, even while ONLY listening -- IF the unit is not well designed and emits "alot" of spurious RF. The fact that their transmitters can tune 20meg above the 70cm ham band is a bit worrisome, since at that price point and size, I doubt they have multiple discrete transmission circuits.

Beyond the suggested longer antenna to improve receive performance, a good vehicle mounted antenna would be another step-up in listening performance. Don't forget to consider getting your amateur radio license to open more options for you.

·
IWNR
12 Posts
I recently installed a Kenwood D710A in my truck, have the control head mounted above the mirror, and at least for the 100aw which was its first use I had the main body of the radio itself attached to my back seats. Used the speaker output to the aux in on the truck radio to pipe all communications to the trucks in door speakers which was handy during 00 operations, also allows the truck to be used as a PA like system by opening the doors and turning the volume up.

·
Feeling like an "old timer."
581 Posts
For my main rig I have a Yaesu FT-8800R. Since I don't want it in the car all the time I mount the main unit on the back of the center console/arm-rest, zip-tie the remote-head to the hand-brake, and plug the audio into my car stereo. I also have a Yaesu VX-127 that I cross-band with the 8800 so that I can get out of the car and still be in contact. As a chief of controls and a stage captain I find this extremely invaluable. In fact, the mobility of the HT combined with the power of the mobile rig became a real necessity when all at once I had to do FTC timing, radio, and traffic control at Black River Stages last year.

Matt

41 - 48 of 48 Posts