Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for our first time in alberta what should we expect from those rally ?
what do we need to know ?
are they smoot ride or car braker ?
what tipe of roads ? rocky gravel ,sand?
hi speed stages or slow and twisty ?
big spectator crowd ?

any spectial tip would be cool....like a beer store map..LOL...

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
213 Posts
Alain;
The one piece of advice I would give you is bring every tire you've got, your driving lights, a spare set of brake pads, your winter parka, and your summer shorts.

The expression out here is "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes". Ask anyone who's been out to Alberta in May, and they will tell you, you can expect anything from 3 feet of snow in the week before the rally (like Rocky last year) to +35 degrees Celsius, like Bighorn 1999. As a matter of fact, the week after that scorching Bighorn, we went to Rocky, where it snowed all rally day, and turned the roads into the goo-iest, sloppiest muckiest slipperiest mud slime you've ever seen.

There was one year I woke up on Bighorn rally day to find 6 inches of snow on top of the cars in the parking lot. The sun came out, the snow burned off, and we were racing on hard packed, dusty roads by 2PM that same day.

It's not unusual to see rain and/or snow in the morning and be choking on dust by the afternoon. This is why you need your winter parka and your summer shorts.

So, bring every tire you got, and your driving lights (because it gets dark FAST in the mountains, and you'll need 'em.....). The roads out here are pretty smooth compared to some of the rallies down east. They aren't car breakers, but some of them can be REAL FAST, so you can be really hard on your brakes (hence the extra pads).

The roads are almost all gravel, with dirt/mud just about everywhere else. There's 2 or 3 kms of pavement at Bighorn. There's practically no sand.

Dave

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Hi Alain,

Dave is right about the weather .... anything goes.

For the Rocky there is some fast - smooth sections and some really twisty hard packed sections -- on the same stage.

Road surface tends to be pea gravel to hard packed rock and some softer dirt (mud).

Nothing much as a car breaker though.

The altitude is very high 5400ft/1645 meters with some good climbs (and downhills)

Speeds have been 90 - 105 kph stage average for the faster teams in good weather.

Don't forget to enjoy the views
:)

A couple short videos from 2001 and photos from the past few years in the gallery section of the website.
http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/rocky/2003/gallery.htm
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rmrally/rally03.mpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rmrally/rally02.mpg

Shawn

www.rockymountainrally.com

edit: Not sure why the video links are not working for me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woaa....Thanks! for all the info !
i cant wait for those air pin ehehehe :) thats just what i like...

going up the hills wont be to much fun for us...but..going down will be pretty sweet...

i guess i will be ordering a couples or winter tires...i was hoping to only bring the ones i had left from last winter...but..better be safe...

Cheers!

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

ps: do you know if the chopper will be there do shoote all the cars ?? that would be sooo...fun to have some footage like that...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Alain-

Everything above appears correct. But a couple of qualifications.

Bighorn isn't just fast - it's almost certainly the fastest event on the calendar. They've put chicanes on the longer straights, but we saw long stretches of seconds flat out at over 190kmh. Then it's hard on the brakes as you have to haul it down to 30kmh to get through the chicanes. In the Justy (and here I'm remembering my Lada) you will be able to have long chatty conversations with your codriver (which isn't so bad if I remember your codriver ;)) while continuing to accelerate. And accelerate. And accelerate. THEN BRAKE! Then accelerate. And accelerate...you get the picture. Nice surface on the roads. One or two cross-gullies. Cutting possible if you're brave.

Also Bighorn isn't really in the mountains, and being far north it has that half-light aspect in the evenings. Bring your lights, but it won't get dark as fast as Rocky.

Rocky - well, no bets on the weather. Nice roads - a couple of gotcha corners. AND BE READY FOR CATTLE GRATES - I don't think you've seen these on eastern rallies. If you're going to be sliding sideways over one, give yourself lots of room on the outside. Also be careful of them with the Justy suspension as the take-up onto them can be sharp.

Do bring all kinds of tires - dry, mud, and snow.

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bighorn - I think this is the fastest rally in North America. Which is why it's my favorite event. Wide roads, smooth, fast! 4th and 5th gear sweepers taken flat out. Corner after corner where you pitch the car and don't lift.......

Edson is a great little town! It just pops out of nowhere, yet has a choice of restaurants and everyone has always been friendly to us.

This is the rally that I am saddest about missing this year.

Rocky - Good roads. Not quite as fast as Big Horn. Watch out for the Big Jump on the first Super Special stage (Ask ACP). Calgary is bigger if you like all the stuff that's available with a bigger city.

Brian

·
Registered
296 Posts
Blackfoot Motorcycle Park in Calgary is not as the same as Quebec City Hippodrome but?It may happen that this year will have the biggest crowd in history of this Rally. Last year a few tried to do "flying Scott" version. Andrew's was the most impressive (for my kids) as Sylvain's. Pat "chicken it out" and took easy... Sylvain spend all night in the garage? So be careful and think about suspension if you would like to get next day to Porcupine Hills.

By the way it will be very interesting to see Prius and the famous "torque" going against the other P1 and P3 cars on gravel. Snow has had a big disadvantage because of the traction issue.

Besides that you gonna find people very nice and open to help.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhh. Blackfoot. Ohhhhhhhhh.

Pat (Hippodrome 2002 and Blackfoot 2001), Sylvain (Hippodrome 2003 and Blackfoot 2002), and I (Parc Techno 2003 and Blackfoot 2002) have all had Waterloos on superspecials.

Just a little smidgen of friendly advice to fellow competitors:

YOU..CANNOT...WIN....A..RALLY..ON..A..SUPERSPECIAL!!! (except in very exceptional circumstances).

Let me tell you - you can lose it there, though.

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oh, I have to agree with you about Blackfoot, Andrew. I was standing there on the side of the road when you hit rock bottom (so to speak). That made a noise not quite like anything I've ever heard before. It was a metallicky, grindy, Fred-Flintstone-hitting-the-back-wall-of-his-garage kind of sound.

There was a tremendous change in atmospheric pressure, as everybody around me winced and went "oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"...........

For anybody who wasn't there, did you see Colin McRae's exit from the Australian rally last year in the Focus? Remember when they showed his nose-dive into the ground in slow motion? Well, that's EXACTLY what Andrew's Blackfoot face plant looked like!!!!

I take it you're going to LIFT this year??? :D

Dave

·
Registered
542 Posts
We were out at Blackfoot a couple of weeeks ago and the jump should be as "picturesque" as it was last year. However, since I missed last year, I can't confirm this. But I am looking forward to watching ACP and his fabulous flying machine!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts