Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kurt pulled me asside at OregonTrail registration and told me I had to rewrite my Rapidan RallySprint Press release. He said the word "race" used was not acceptable for risk management. However I had gotten my description of performance rally directly for the SCCA Performance website.

The SCCA Performance Rally website's description:

"So what is ProRally / ClubRally?
Quite simply, it is a flat-out race over closed sections of rural roads by modified production automobiles. It is different than most car races in that:
Competitors race one car at a time against the clock, usually at one minute intervals.
Flat-out racing is done on limited access roads, blocked off from "civilian" traffic, rather than on prepared tracks.
In-between the racing stages, the cars travel over public roads and are required to obey all traffic laws"

The Rapidan RallySprint press release:

"Orange, VA - The Washington DC region Sports Car Club of America is proud to present the 2nd annual Rapidan RallySprints scheduled for June 22 2002. The event is a flat out race by modified production automobiles piloted simultaneously by a driver and a codriver over a course they have not seen guided by notes provided by the organizers detailing turns, jumps, water crossings and other hazards. Competing teams race against the clock at one minute intervals and the cumulative lowest time wins the event. The event venue is a specially designed 4 mile course run multiple times in each direction developed on a scenic rural farm. Participants, workers, press and spectators will all be asked to sign an insurance waiver upon entrance to the property."......followed by directions, contact and website info.

The SCCA Performance rally website mentions "flat out race" twice and racing two other times. My press release only once. The SCCA Performance rally website says "over closed sections of rural roads". The press release says "specially designed course ...on a scenic rural farm".
Which sounds more of a risk to you?

WTF?
Was Spitzner just ego tripping? Why can't I base my desciption for the one posted on the SCCA website? Should I have described the rallysprint as a leisurely Sunday drive cakewalk to satisfy Kurt when the SCCA site calls it racing?

Dave Shindle
Former SCCA ClubRally, RallySprint, RallyX organizer resigned

·
Registered
46 Posts
:7

Dave,

What did one Indian say to the other Indian ??

"Never Explain your self to the White man" No matter how good or safe you run your Events Thay don't care. How Dare you use the word "Race"

Are we really racing anyway ?? We are just driving around cones as fast we can. ;)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Ignore Kurt. Call risk management directly.
Richard
PS: Kurt would have a cow if he read the program for the Dallas Grand Prix. It contains the information straight from the SCCA web site and calls performance rally a race.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Was Kurt Sphincter, er, Spitzner ego tripping? Of course...Why else is he involved in the first place? But I have one question Dave. Did you tell him where you pulled your info from? (I'm assuming you did...) and what did he say?

All I have to say is, we'd better get our act toghether soon or we'll go back to haveing a smattering of underfunded, and undersubscribed events like 8-10 years ago.

And yes, I am contemplating getting more involved on the organizing end of things. :)

Nick Polimeni
'71 Volvo 142E (daily driver/RallyCross)
Editor, Blue Mountain Region, SCCA
[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe he thought when you used the word "race" you were turning it into a whole "race" thing. You know, Rodney King and all?:+ :p

Or maybe he was just powertripping.

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

·
Registered
967 Posts
Kurt tried to tell you how to write a press release? The guy who uses "podium" as a verb in a headline? The guy who uses "whilst" in the 21st century? I would have taken his comments as a joke and left the room laughing.

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
The guy who
>uses "whilst" in the 21st century?

Hey, I use "whilst"... there is nothing wrong with using "WHILST"...
why are you mean to people that try to use correct English???

Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
689 Posts
RE: don't let one person make you resign

Don't resign because of one person no matter who they are. Scott Bottomley and I have had several "comments" from variuos people over the last four years but we do not let it stand in our way. I got involved organizing Rallycross and Rallysprint becuase I wanted to drive but didn't want to race out of town (money time etc.) What I discovered is I enjoy organizing as much as driving. Having to interface with the BLM , Forest Service , SCCA , Land Owners and Competitors you are bound to have someone agrrivate you.
Like I said do not let anyone drive you away!!

Tom Grossmann Las Vegas Region Rally Master

1 - 8 of 8 Posts