Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to why some people get picked up for a ride with a manufacturer while others seem to be left out. I asked this question specifically about Pasi Hagstrom in a different forum, but now I wonder in general why some local Group N and Open class drivers get overlooked for talent overseas. This might be an increadibly broad and silly question to ask, but I thought I would throw it out there to see if there was actually some good reasons other than luck.

James Bond

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is my opionion from a young guy that has alot to learn

I think the selection is like making a good business investment........

Subaru/Mitsh/Airforce are companys that are out to make some $$$

1. They probally want a driver that will help there image

How can a driver help there image?

First off a team needs to win races........You normal kind get that with a rally veterian that has many races under his or her belt. "Higgins" "Lovel" Winning makes a company look very good

Second you can have a driver Relate to your product ......Airforce reserves ------Tim in the airforce and a good role model

Third -- a role model type...........Championship is in america ...You want a good american role model that everyone likes

Fourth---- Age.... A young driver you think can develope into a long term investment

In the aviation business they put alot on peoples personalities/ attitudes.

Thats my opinion

·
Registered
724 Posts
frankly it is a combination of things tthe most important thing is that he or she must be a winner. Look at mitsu and subaru they both have one US driver (lauchlin, Ramana) and one Euro now. Both americans brough a lot to the table besides sheer ability, one thing that is very important is money either cash or personal sponsorship. Now that is not to say that either US driver is paying for their rides I have no idea and I am not trying to speculate here iether I am just using motorsports as a whole even in the WRC Sainz brought telefonica to citroen and there are several other drivers that will bring considerable sponsorship to the table that helps them land drives. Of course the obvious is talent and marketability but I think that with as little marketing and prestige of the US series that is a bit second to budget and outright speed since I do not see many hospitality tents set up at pro rallys. I think that both teams are doing a great job employing Americans with scheible (spelling??) then ramana at subaru, choinere at hyundai (last year), and lauchlin at mitsu. Americans need to step up their game if they want competitive drives and that kind of effort costs $$$$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts