Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some stories from finishers at the awards party but with the conditions the way they were, everyone must have a ton of stuff to tell so, What happened to you at the Pines?
I'll work on the in-car and let you know when I have something.
rz

·
Registered
555 Posts
Randy congrats on your 7th place! Another great drive for you! I wasnt competing, but I was working the start of the long stage A6 & A9. Thanks to all the competitors who were so friendly! It was a tough rally by looks of the number of DNF's (27!!) Hope to see you all there next year!

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well,
A1: I cut a corner and nearly rolled it.
A2: Ran flat out at the start and hit the jumps off rythm and nose-planted two in a row, then I missed a call and slid to a stop right at a shrine (white cross).
A4: Timed the jumps at the start right and decided I whimped out on the finish the first time thru so went flat and did a top of 4th death-waggle after hitting the puddle on the left - we didn't die but should have.
A9: couldn't miss a rock w/ the LF which was the best tire I owned (tread-wise) unfortunately it was on a cracked rim with a tube and two sidewall cuts - it needed to go 11km and McGeer was next behind. I hope he didn't have to wait long until I saw him back there but we couldn't get over 3rd gear and had to slow for RHs and big obstacles like that raised culvert! Lost 1:20 but better than 5min for a change. The armor I put over the wiring loom in the wheel well worked perfectly!
For the night stages, I rented a nice set of tires from Matt Iorio and Phillip Ho who had run well earlier until the transmission broke.
It was very calming having tread and except for going way too wide entering Castledine's BOTH times, I behaved myself.
We had 3 scares on the final stage as the car sputtered on tight LH turns. We made it to the end but it quit while loading on the trailer. Turns out Mal's bag had been resting on the fuel pump wiring and a plug separated, perfect timing on that one.
Looking over the results quickly, James Fox had some great scores and of course, My Hero, John Groo (Gooey) had a super finish in the club event. Otis (rally man) Dimiters posted some flying times and Julian Pilon did what he needed to to get that elusive finish that he's deserved for such a long time. For ACP to have led the first stages at this event says a lot for his talent (and the frustrating disapointments he's endured).
I know so many of you guys now, it is hard to mention everyone, that's why I'd like to hear more from your side as there's so many stories from an event like the Pines.
This was a very visible event that had everything promised but snow and ice. Keith, Doug, John, Richard, Ross, Donna, Dennis, Christina, Christopher, Terry, (even Adrian) and everyone who worked so hard to put this event on, congratulations and thanks. What a spectacle!
rz

·
Registered
244 Posts
I should point out that I was Co Driving for James, and was overcome by motion sickness around the middle of A2. This was my first real case of serious motion sickness on stage, and it remained with me the next 7 stages. So my navigating was limited to an occaisional course comment, and calculating transit and arrival times (basic stuff). James drove stages 3 - 9 completely blind and demonstrated some excellent driving. I enjoyed the ride between my visits to the zip lock bag.

Seth S

>>Looking over the results quickly, James Fox had some great
>scores and of course, My Hero, John Groo (Gooey) had a super
>finish in the club event.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Once again congratulation on a nice drive mr Zimmer !

We lost 3rd gear on A5 until the guys could fix it after A9... The service crew did an awesome job by replacing the transmission in less than an hour, yeah I know Prodrive does it in 20 minutes but still, I consider this a huge accomplishment from my teammates and they are the reason why we even got to the finish.

Beside pulling around 9 pounds of boost for the last 6 stages ( stock is 13psi ) evrything went smooth if we don't talk about the codriver's sickness...

Julien Pilon
Lachute Subaru

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Nichols/Shindle & Arrietas

Nichols' axle sheared itself on A2 after setting the fastest 2WD car time on stage1. Game over.

Arrieta's lost engine oil after a oil cooler hose broke.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Sounds like the co-drivers (myself included) were dropping like flies on this one! Lots of elevation changes...

We had one spin at maybe 40 mph on A3 which cost us 30 seconds but fortunately not a position. Don't think we were the only ones to do so there either...

We put in a good showing for the regional event, but ended the national rally a bit prematurely by rolling the car off at the second pass through Castledine's corner. Probably not the cheapest way to get on TV, but at least the fans enjoyed it!

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Sounds like the co-drivers (myself included) were dropping
>like flies on this one! Lots of elevation changes...

It did seem to me that there were more green codrivers than normal - possibly a combination of the higher speeds (no snow) and the notes?

Adrian

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sadly,

Unless TV2Go had a camera right where you rolled, they missed it.

The camera-man down at the lower specatator area left after the first 4-5 cars went through.

If there was a camera filming in the crowd _right_ where you rolled...then you might make TV ;-)

-Dave

-----------------------
'89 Audi 90 quattro
Rally Conversion
Perpetually In-Progress
*Car '00' at pines...getting closer!

·
Registered
803 Posts
we got wedged in between some trees on A1, couldnt actually get out of the car for a while

It took a very long time to get out. I yanked the ebrake because I knew we were going to hit so we ended up hitting a big tree (on my door) then going backwards down a steep embankment. We had to jack the front, jack the back, move some rocks, make a runway, etc. and then somehow made it up the steep embankment. Needed a final tug which was attempted (and then provided) by a very nice lady.

Anyhow, the car was fine, needed to feel it out on A2 but it felt ok, and it was good enough to win 3 of the next 4 stages (or something like that). But man my body is sore :)

Then we had to stop on stage a number of times to find and correct (but not sure why) a fuel pump problem. Engine was cutting out completely, intermittent, then complete loss of engine, then runs fine, etc. Had to do this several times on stage. By the last service we were looking to be max late already so the team decided to pull the plug.

-Pat

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
I was a Steward at the event, so I got to see many of the behind the scenes activities that led to the sucess of the rally.

Every competitor who had the opportunity to participate in the rally owes Keith, Ross, and the incredible list of rally workers a big thank you.

The amount of work involved in making a rally like the Tall Pines run smoothly and safely is almost beyond description.

I thought the performance of two particular drivers at the back of the pack should be acknowledged. Matthew Lorio (Car #66) in a Group N Subaru WRX was in 7th place overall after 4 stages and Warren Haywood (Car #52) in a Group 2 VW Golf was in 7th place after 7 stages.

Tough luck again for ACP, who was leading after 3 stages and then broke a ball joint.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Doug sums up our situation - leading for the first three stages and then a ball joint let go without any apparent impact. It appears to have had a manufacturing defect in the metal and is one of the only weak points of the early Evos (later cars have much biger ones). Frustrating but what are you going to do - complain to Mitsubishi?

Car was really hooked up and the notes were good. Didn't push so hard on A2 as the jumps were lethal (another case of an author not knowing how fast we can hit "crests", although they probably expected us to be on snow and ice). I believe that Tom bent his car a little on one of the double jumps. Sorry, double crests.

Congratulations to Keith and everyone on another terrific Pines. This has become a model for rallies everywhere.

Other people with problems? A catalogue:

-erickson hit the LF and took out the PS cooler, which drained, which eventually seized the PS pump, which broke the serpentine belt, which stopped the water pump, which cooked the engine.

-Antoine L'Estage did most of the second half of the event in RWD as he lost two front half-shafts in two legs.

-Paynter went out with a broken half-shaft.

-Thomson broke two wheels on the same rock (bang-bang) and only had one spare.

-Reilly broke a shifter below the ball pivot and was stuck in 1st gear.

-Pilon's crew did a great trans change at the final service as he had lost 3rd gear earlier in the day. The 4th place finish secured the manufacturer's title for Subaru. They have to be pleased!

Some good drives: congrats to all of Antoine (matching his best ever finish), Losier (their first podium!), and Pilon (press on regardless). Condolances to Subaru who just has a damn hard time, and at a rally at which they had a lot of corporate guests. Just goes to show how reliable and effective they usually are, now that they've had a tough rally.

Congrats to Frank - I'm sure he would have like to have had a few more of us keeping him honest, but you have to be there at the end to win.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
I was co-driving for Scott Comens (in the white Neon), who was in a very tight race with Steve Walkington for the P3 National Championship. Under the most likely finishing scenarios, between the two of them, whoever beat the other would be the champion.

Steve started off ahead as Scott was getting used to me calling the turns. The stages were rougher than I expected, but fortunately Scott built that Neon like a tank. (Don't believe me? Look underneath it!) On A2, we spent a bunch of time on the bumps with the back of the car way in the air, including one nose-down that should have damaged the radiator. Then Scott got into the groove and we started to pull slowly pull ahead of Steve, though we were still swapping who got the faster times on each stage.

After starting the rally just concerned about Steve, we started looking at the other competition. There was only one car ahead of both Steve and Scott and that was Dmitri in the Golf and Dmitri was a US-licensed competitor, so didn't figure into the championship fight.

We had a bit of excitement on the first run though the 26km stage. The front suspension took a hit that added about 5-6 degrees of negative camber (moved the upright in relation to strut) and that caused the tire to rub against the strut. We finished the stage and did the 40+km transit to the next stage and inspected the tire. It had a nice groove worn into it (and a bulge at the groove), so we changed the tire and ran another 11km stage before service. We finished the stage (ruining another tire), but made it back to service where we could fix the problem.

We finished the regional portion of the rally 3 seconds behind Dmitri and 8 seconds ahead of Steve. Plus, we must have been making good ground on Dmitri because we were reseeded ahead of him.

The last four stage were two stages repeated. On the first pass, we beat Steve on one stage and Steve beat us on one stage, but we netted 4 more seconds. We lost time on Dmitri.

On the penultimate stage, we were doing pretty well until we came upon Apro's Subaru. He was going slowly with his flashers on and just when we got to him, his turbo let go or something because we were blinded by clouds of oil smoke and could not see the road at all. We drove off the road at one point and almost came to a complete stop. We took off again and got blinded by a second cloud, worked our way through it and got around Apro. We must have been on a good run before we encountered Apro because, despite the delay, we only lost 12 seconds compared to our first run through. Dmitri must have had problems because he was only 2 seconds faster than us. Steve, on the other hand, was 29 seconds faster than us. We had to make up 17 seconds on Steve in 10km stage.

Scott drove that last stage in all-or-nothing mode. We went a wide at the first part of Castledine. We came into a tight left way too fast and the car was out of control as we came out of the turn and, after some wild oscillations, Scott saved it. We went into another turn too hot and almost went off there as well. But we made it to the end.

We had knocked 12 seconds off of our first run through, but had no idea if it would be enough. The TV2GO guys interviewed Scott at the FTC and asked him who the P3 champion was and he couldn't say. We waited for Steve to finish and it turns out that we had beaten him by just enough. Scott was P3 champion. Our initial calculations had us ahead by 2 seconds, but we later found out that it was 1 second. It also turned out that we were 1 second behind Dmitri overall. So, 3 seconds covered the first three cars in P3.

Tall Pines was a really well put on event. Thanks to all of the organizers and workers. Thanks to Steve and Dmitri for making the competition so close.

alan perry

·
Registered
112 Posts
It was my first event in Canada and was very impressed. The event ran on schedule all day and the number of crashed Subaru's was staggering! Lots of jumps. The 28k stage was a BIT rough for the Mini! Some of the holes were bigger than us. The rocks too! One rock picked us up and threw us! Went a little slower the second time through. Loosened an oil line on that stage and became a proper British car with a huge blue cloud following us, ran the last km with the door open for venting. Never lost oil pressure though. I owe oil to a couple people now, but got it fixed with vise grips and four quarts. Luckily it holds seven quarts so we never lost pressure. Phil got us all fixed up again at service.

Bryan stuggled with the timing for a bit as he thought it was done another way, but by the end he was able to read the notes pretty well. And he never threw up.

The night stages were great, much less chewed up than earlier due to being only 19th on the road. That helped as we didn't get stuck in the ruts as we were earlier, and we were able to almost accelarate up hills rather than go slower and slower (I need a diff). I have to say that the crowd at Castledines corner was huge. In a video a friend taped the crowd was louder than the Mini! Very cool. I'll be back!

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Crash Test Dummies

Last Ditch Racing WRX #25 took the dubious honor of the "Sprongl Award" honoring the first team to crash out out the first stage.

We had great shakedown results on gravel tires, so we decided to start on those. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

Within the first km of the 1st stage we knew that things were not likely to end well. We'd gone out on hard compound gravel tires, which meant exactly NO grip in the 28-degree temps. The frozen gravel roads had thawed in the sunny places to the consistency of chocolate mousse. We had several whoa-holy-crap moments before we came to a R4/crest going prolly 50 mph, and that was all she wrote.

We smacked a BIG rock in the outside berm that bounced us back into the road and away from 2 large trees that we were initially headed straight for. Nice!

Except that the initial hit blew various Subaru bits over the roof in finest NASCAR onboard-video-wreck style....bumper cover, headlight shards, intercooler pieces, and who knows what else. John C never lifted and steered back onto the stage in his finest Petter Solberg imitation, but the engine died and there we sat, more or less in the middle of the road.

We clambered out, set triangles, and assessed the carnage. Bumper gone, headlight smashed, control arm trashed, DMS strut pretzeled, front tire popped, both driver-side wheels bent. At least our brand-new front-mount intercooler was more or less unscathed.

A spectator ran up and hollered, "Pat Richard just hit the same place you did, but he had a harder time getting out!" Thanks, Pat, for loosening the rock that saved us from collecting those trees.

It was exactly 3.08 km from the start to to where the car sat until sweep towed us out of the way. Call it a loooong drive (14 hour tow from Maine) for a short rally.

Despite our misadventures (our 1st DNF this year), Tall Pines was the best-run rally we've run all season. Congrats to organizers for their dedication, professionalism and sacrifice. We'll be back next year....only with more tires!

Cheers,

Dave G
Codriver and Chief Tow Strap Deployment Officer
("Whaddya mean, YES it's busted, and NO we can't keep going?")
Last Ditch Racing
Deepest Darkest Maine

·
Registered
532 Posts
>We put in a good showing for the regional event, but ended
>the national rally a bit prematurely by rolling the car off
>at the second pass through Castledine's corner. Probably not
>the cheapest way to get on TV, but at least the fans enjoyed
>it!

I was doing Crowd Control at Tait Farm and Castledine's and was only about 20 ft. away from where you guys rolled. You both looked okay and I noticed that the car was driven away, so I hope the damage was minimal!

ACP - I was sorry we didn't see you at any of the spectator points. Frank was looking quick, so you must have been doing a great job to stay in front of him.

The cheer that went up the first time the Mini went through Castledine's was incredible!

Antoine L'estage came very close to rolling the first run through Castledine's. He dropped the left rear off the road. The Dodge Shadow (Paul Kelbel) got even farther off. The right front wheel had to be 3 feet off the ground, but he stayed in it and the left front pulled the car back on the road. (LSD or Welded Diff?)

I got to meet Doug Woods and a few others from Specialstage forums!

Great Weekend!

Dave C

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dave G not the same corner !

Hey LDR / Dave !

sorry to say, it is not the same corner that we went off on

we went off further into the stage

a bunch of 6 L / 6R or something like that then a short straight into a R3 (actually kind of uphill on the entry to it, and tightens a bit).

There was no rocks anywhere near where we went off. We knocked down a whole bunch of trees so it was pretty obvious.

-Pat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts