Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at that. A week after SCCA unceremoniously dumped ya there is hardly any mention of SCCA.

Ya'll better hope and pray that Doug Havir stays in good health. Hold your breath every time he climbs into a rally car and pray he stays in one piece. Without him, you're sunk.

Just a thought to raise your stress to an appropriate level

:)

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Jens

Geeez.

How did we get along for so long without Jens's cheerfull thoughts?

press on,

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeping you on your toes

Just toying with you.

But it did have me thinking about what would happen if Doug was to cut his finger on a piece of paper. All I can picture is 50 guys running toward him, each with a bandaid and some antibiotics.

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
RE: Keeping you on your toes

>But it did have me thinking about what would happen if Doug
>was to cut his finger on a piece of paper. All I can
>picture is 50 guys running toward him, each with a bandaid
>and some antibiotics.

Well lets hope that the same situation doesn't arise at a stage start if he decides to relieve himself in the woods...

John Elkin
"Don't go where the road don't go."- Ringo Starr

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts

No, no, John.

That is why we have the spill kits.

<isn't it?>

press on,

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

The other night I was cleaning up the house and it felt so good to take piles of SCCA licence aplicaitons, 2004 rule books, firesuite patches, membership renewal notices, newsletters etc and just dispose of them.

Soon I will be taking the heatgun to the car to remove all the decals.

I have been a member of SCCA off and on since 1988, I joined when ever I needed a licence and not once did I feel like a member of a club. I even tried going to meetings once and a while and still always felt like an outsider.

So it is nice to be done with that. I know I like CARS and I think NASA and RA have a shot at making me much more happy.

DKB

·
Lost....We're not lost
419 Posts

I wonder if I'll EVER stop getting credit card offers with the SCCA logo on the front of the envelope? Probably not....x(

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Look at that. A week after SCCA unceremoniously dumped ya
>there is hardly any mention of SCCA.
>
>Ya'll better hope and pray that Doug Havir stays in good
>health. Hold your breath every time he climbs into a rally
>car and pray he stays in one piece. Without him, you're
>sunk.
>
>Just a thought to raise your stress to an appropriate level
>
>:)

Hey Jens...

I think SCCA dropping Performance Rally and blaming the Insurance is just Spin.

I think the real problem is that for SCCA Performance Rally is LOSING A TON OF MONEY. And it won't change soon.

Why?

Too much staff for a grassroots sport. Otherwise known as a Sea of Yellow Shirts.

We used to have 1 paid press person at every event, and I believe tab for National steward was also picked up. Then the Solo licensing dept also handled Performance Rally licenses. Thats it, 2.5 people being paid for by Rally funds.

Oh yeah, we used to have a National sponsor too. Remember Michelin?

I also think its not high enough profile for the Current President of SCCA. He loves to shake hands and give speeches. Performance rally without Subaru, Mitsubishi or Hyundai just doesn't have enough hand shaking opportunities.

I'm also guessing SCCA has been subsidizing Television this year.

So add it all up, check out the number of Yellow shirts that are Performance Rally employees for SCCA. It has to mean that the Performance Rally part of SCCA is a sea of red ink. Insurance problems notwithstanding.

Why the red ink? Because Mr Spitzner tried to take Performance Rally to the Big time. He got close, then got out of town. He's looking pretty smart about now. I also think the people that hammered him about his prior job and the state he left that in should be congratulated for nailing it totally.

SCCA at this point is not willing to realize that the Wonderful country we call home, the United States is so dang huge that Performance rally on a National scale is very very expensive. The crapped on the little guy too much when the great hope Manufacturers were winning all the events.

So I believe the non-spin version is flat out that the SCCA doesn't want anymore Performance Rally red ink. If they can't take Performance rally to the big time, they want out.

But... shameless group that they are... here they are "negotiating" the handing over of Performance Rally. Notice they kept Solo on grass... That part can get Membership fees and not cost much to administer. The "negotiating" of Performance rally is simple enough... They are trying to get paid as much as they can for something they intend to throw away anyway. I'd give them a nickle and tell them to have a nice day.

If Performance rally has anything to do with SCCA I will never be seen with SCCA anything on the side of my car.

Flame on, call me negative if you want, but I'm tired of the Spin and smoke from Topeka.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>Oh yeah, we used to have a National sponsor too. Remember Michelin?

Yeah, I remember Michelin... and even more (after Michelin)... I remember all the promises from you know who that there was a national sponsorship deal for "next year"... each year. And I'm the Easter bunny.

I'd have to go look at the records, because I'm not very familiar with your father's record. But the name rings a bell for me, so perhaps he was running back in the 70's when we had REAL SPONSORS. They weren't "series sponsors" televising the few front runners. They were real sponsors that helped EVERYONE. One of my favorites was Cooper Tires. They helped me, and everyone that wanted it. I was proud to carry their stickers, rather than ashamed as I was in '99 '00 to be forced to carry stickers from "sponsors" that didn't do a damn thing for me.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>> I'd give them a nickle and tell them to have a
>nice day.
>
If you gave them that nickle, then according to dch (Doug Havir) you would be giving the 5 cents more than Rally America is.
Richard

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
I don't know about that. RA is going to employ a lot of former SCCA staff. Taking that salary burden from SCCA could be seen as monetary invovlement in the hand over.....

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Kevin, At this time, RA has its first employee. That is JB Niday with the title of Rally Manager IIRC. His previous title (which continues through the end of the year) with SCCA was chairman of the Performance Rally Board. His salary for that position was the same as I get as co-chairman of the Rallye de Paris. That is to say, I hope it doesn't cost me too much. Right now SCCA has exactly 2 full time rally employees, Doug and Sue Robinson. Others have part of their salaries credited toward rally. In fact, even Steve Johnson has 6.5% of his salary credited toward rally. That persentage is based on the number of members who check off on their renewal forms that their primary interest is rally. I suspect that the end result next year is that dropping performance rally is going to cost SCCA national money. It is going to cost Texas Region SCCA about $2000 that being the net over expenses that the 2 ClubRallys have brought in this year. Who knows what it is going to cost me. But the Rallye de Paris will continue. And not that I saw this coming but the rally web sites here have always been independent from the Texas region so we controlled the domain names.
Richard

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
My point was the implied relocation of Doug and Sue, and possibly Curtis, that probably accounts for atleast $100,000.00 a year for the SCCA (then again maybe the SCCA paid them in wheat since they are in Topeka now). Factor in the national stewards and all the other yellow shirts and I am sure its going to not cost the SCCA atleast $150,000.00 in salary and probably $200,000.00 over next year.

They made it pretty clear, or atleast I think they did that between releasing the PRB and not having to take the insurance losses that even if they lost all the ProRally membership people they'd lose less money.

My only gripe is that as a good SCCA program in light of the SCCA's decision my local rallyX program is looking to price me out of making a stand against the SCCA by not renewing my membership (before membership saved me $5.00 a year in RallyX fees if I made all the events, not it will save me approximately $55.00 since I am still under 21).

As most business people know, taking away a loss is like providing income as long as the post transaction net is higher then it was before its all the same.

·
Registered
901 Posts
RA won't get Curtis, he works for SCCA in the marketing department. He was never on the Performance Rally payroll.

Besides, what would they want with yet another marketing person? They've already got a number of people doing a great job in marketing right now, they don't need another one who took a while to get up to speed on his job. Sorry, Curtis, but it's the truth. When the competitors end up doing your job for you, or having to take their complaints about you to the president of the club because your boss Garrett never returns phone calls or emails.... But hey, you did finally do a good job after half the year had gone by. :)

I'm thinking that if Doug and Sue want to work with Rally America, they'd apply for a job. DCH, have they? Or have they been offered something? Inquiring minds want to know, that's all! :)

I'm thinking of sending all the SCCA credit card offers to Topeka with a note: You dropped my program, so I'm not a member anymore! What would I want with more reminders about how much you screwed me over? :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The idea that the National Steward and the safety stewards are employees is just wrong. Although they get some expenses paid, they're volunteers, just like organizers and other workers.

Bruce

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
I think you just hit it on the head Bruce. The problems with SCCA both nationally and locally with race, rally and Solo are that too many people are expecting to pay their money and be entertained. SCCA is supposed to be a club but in Texas region, we can not even get some one to be RE for next year. Need less to say, I am not volunteering as my job as an organizer is going to be somewhat more difficult. That is because RA is going to have growing pains. Oh well, "they" should do something about "that."
Richard

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
There will be no wholesale hiring of SCCA staff. While I fully intend to add people to Rally America, employees are expensive. I will be looking to add as few people as possible, and get them to wear as many hats as they can fit on their heads. Nobody else will be added before LSPR, and I'm keeping absolutely all of my options open as to who might make a good candidate.

There's absolutely no way to take all of the previous volunteer staffed positions and make them salaried gigs. That doesn't mean we can't improve the scale of the volunteer program though. More details to be worked out in the near future...

Cheers,
-Doug

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doug,

Just wanted to volunteer my services to RA. My dicipline is Business (finance and strategic management) so I can help out with anything related to the back end of RA's rally operations. You can contact me any time at ericjohnolson AT comcast DOT net.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts