1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Actually, I thought it was crazy that Martin was excluded for using a rock to hold in his spare based on a ballast rule. If the car was over the minimum weight without the rock, how could it be considered ballast?

alan

·
Registered
789 Posts
>Actually, I thought it was crazy that Martin was excluded
>for using a rock to hold in his spare based on a ballast
>rule. If the car was over the minimum weight without the
>rock, how could it be considered ballast?

Me too, Alan. This is quite bizarre and Malcolm's refusal to protest/appeal, etc. is even more bizarre.

Actually, since dirt can be created from crushed rocks, would having a dirty car be considered grounds for disqualification?

·
Registered
533 Posts
My guess is they would have been excluded for not having the tire strapped down if they hadn't used the rock; and excluded for, well, littering, if they had left the tire out there...

JBLewis

·
Registered
103 Posts
The story I heard was that the rock was used to secure the spare tire. Therefore, it was a modification to the car. Thus, the disqualification.

If they wanted to make a statement about safety, that would be one thing. But to disqualify based on the rock being a "modification" that is another thing.

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you read carefully, they decided that the rock was ballast, and the rules say that ballast must be bolted to the floorpan. I think the concept of the rule was that you can't have shifting ballast to act like side-car passengers, or loose heavy things that might become projectiles in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Knowing Malcom since '87 I find it very peculiar to see that he didn't protest, this makes me wonder if this disqualification was the lesser of evils, strange...........very strange.........

I think Crash McRae would fit right in Nascar, it would help tremendously lowering the liability insurance premiums for WRC but I don't know what effect it would have on Nascar's insurance.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
What about Australian V8 Supercars ? At least they also turn right as well as left, trade paint, get air off the rumble strips, clip non-movable objects etc.

Probably my second favourite thing to watch on Speed (after WRC). And what's happened to the Speed coverage of Australian V8 Supercars anyway ? I haven't seen any on Speed in ages.

·
The Scorpion King
678 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the rock was 5 kg, and the car was 3kg over the minimum weight with the rock in it.

Now if Ford had planned ahead enough to homologate a rock as a spare tire wedge, with the caveat that weight, shape, and color may vary, they wouldn't have had this problem!

--
John

·
Registered
229 Posts
The car was 23kg over the weight limit, but that was a really bone-head move by Martin and Park... you'd think for your own safety you would just leave the tire by the side of the road and ask sweep to pick it up... but hey, we've all done things like that in heat of the moment (I think..)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts