Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through Daphne's post and the following thread, and it's successive posts has compelled me to share this little tid-bit:

World-Renowned Co-Driver-type Eric "T" of Quebec City, Canada, is currently on a mission to morph the "Quebec Cup" (a regional championship, much like a "ClubRally" championship) into a *two-wheel drive only* championship, with some encouraging response.

The ultimate goal being a spec-class, or one-make class to run along with, and not necessarily replace the group.

As a guy who has been a bit left behind in the whirlwind of "improvements" to ProRally, that is an interesting proposal.

Motor racing is always going to be about money, but limiting club entries to 2WD would certainly go a long way to levelling the playing field. Running alongside a ProRally, a 2WD spec class might actually mean something, as it does in Europe. "Club" is supposed to be the "feeder" for "Pro", right?

Is a well driven 2WD car a match for even a poorly driven EVO?

Andrew "I have no problem making fun of the Irish, because I am so downtrodden I practically *am* Irish" Havas
http://www.andrewhavas.com

PS- For those of you looking for my RIM photos, I had all my images destroyed by the "KLEZE" worm... Sorry.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Andrew wrote:
>Is a well driven 2WD car a match for even a poorly driven EVO?

Hey, Andrew, I thought you answered that question at Prescott Forest last year?

Don't believe everything Andrew writes. You wouldn't believe how he was trying to talk me out of my Group 5 Lotus Elise project last month :)

alan

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Don't believe everything Andrew writes. You wouldn't
>believe how he was trying to talk me out of my Group 5 Lotus
>Elise project last month :)

Was that a terrible Grands Prix or what Alan?

I don't know what's more political, F1 or ProRally!

I was reading the new Motorsport Mag the other day profiling a Kenyan Dude (Singh?) who won the Dakar in a 544 Volvo (sorry Bill, can't remember his name!) It sounds just like running the Mazda!!! I seem to have been born 30 years too late!

#####!

How come SS won't let me say #####?! Petter said it over the PA at Rim...

·
Registered
245 Posts
>I was reading the new Motorsport Mag the other day profiling
>a Kenyan Dude (Singh?) who won the Dakar in a 544 Volvo

Is this a recent Dakar win? or one 35 years ago? From what I remember of my history, 544's won several Safari's and a couple of European Rally Championships (pre "world" rally) as well.

Nick Polimeni
'71 Volvo 142E (daily driver/RallyCross)
Editor, Blue Mountain Region, SCCA
www.bmr-scca.org

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa")The Singh that you mentioned was Joginder and Jaswant who bought Tom Trana's Volvo 544 which had crashed in 1964. They rebuilt it and went out to win the Safari in 1965. Coutesy of Reinhard Klein's "Rally Cars", page 76, last paragraph.

·
Registered
117 Posts
>Is a well driven 2WD car a match for even a poorly driven
>EVO?

Just look at the results that Mike Hurst, Carl Jardevall and some guy in an orange mazda (amoung others) have acheived in the recent past. A well driven 2wd car seems to be a match for even a pretty well driven (by North American standards) Evo.

Besides, all these guys in high powered AWD cars don't learn how to drive as quickly as someone driving a slow 2wd car. Tends to make all the guys in slow cars look like they really know what they're doing. }>

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

1 - 7 of 7 Posts