Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about JV's post about snooze slow drivers and how it has been a year of living with my parents and eating ramen noodles, and I still only have maybe 6 hours of seat time...

The key is as drivers, we need more practice. Practice makes perfect obviously, and paying $1000 for 2 hours of practice is no good.

The local track (gingerman) has a $50 test/tune night where you can drive from 4pm-sunset and get all the practice you need once a week.

When I raced BMX bikes, we could hit the track anytime for free, or pay $10 for the practice night and use the starting gate and all. I easily spent 10 hours/week there practicing going faster.

Obviously I know it is tougher with rally, and road closing's and all. But why arent I seeing tons of cheap, 10 mile, 1 day rallysprints? or people organizing practice days?

I know people have set up practice days in Canada, but I have never heard about it down south here, and I dont consider RallyX real practice for the stages...

So basically... How am I going to get faster, and more experienced when it costs $1000 for just a few hours of practice time?

Europeans have tons and tons of small single venue events, and small stage events... We need more of that.

Did this post make sense?

·
Registered
374 Posts
What you need is someone who owns a lot of land, who is willing to have multiple gravel roads cut into it. Then there is the insurance issue, etc... etc...

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
we need a special classification rallyx driving clinics. not rallysprints but a day where you work on one or two types of corners at near rally speed.

meaning rallyx for prepared rally cars w/no speed limit like in regular rallyx.

you would practice a couple types of corners for a while then switch it up.

its what we did w/downhill ski racing and instruction.

line a rally school but more of a peer tutor type of thing.

i envision a day costing 50-100 dollars and max of 15-20 cars with two practice areas. so there would be two groups paracticing simultaneously to maximize seat time. you could probably get 2 hrs of driving in over the day.

have video set up to watch and evaluate.

do it twice a year.

it could be part of the mentor program idea for rookies that dennis was talking about.

these are a few ideas i have.

if they suck tell me why please and then come up with your own too.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Hey-
How many people would be interested in a place like this in SE MI?

$100/car on a Sunday, say 9am-4pm-ish?. Paved service area, close to expressways(Livingston County).

It's the place I practice, but I would need to make it lucrative enough for them to be able to regrade & whatnot...

Only rally prepped cars and you'd need to sign a heavy waiver.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
625 Posts
I currently test at a 3 mile logging trail in rogers city michigan... about 5 miles from my cabin... Its pretty darn secure as you can post people on both ends..... Its mostly lower speed turns with some elevation change....... but plenty of fun and the road are very similar to CFR..... they are kinda narrow but still plent good for a shake down.... I plan to test before LSPR up there......

Here is the road...this clip is old 2002 and the car didnt have a cage...just a skid plate and gravel tires....

save target as a AVI file... and open with quicktime....
small clip 3.8 meg but 2mins...

http://members.rennlist.com/luke/webrallyvid

Larry

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This would be excellent. Maybe you could persuade a few experienced drivers to attend as tutors.

I might add that the tune/test days at Gingerman, Grattan, and Waterford are every bit as valuable to new(and experienced) rally drivers as they are for the pavement pounders. Seat time is seat time. Miles spent learning vehicle dynamics and evaluating parts are valuable no matter the surface.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>Hey-
>How many people would be interested in a place like this in
>SE MI?
>
>$100/car on a Sunday, say 9am-4pm-ish?. Paved service area,
>close to expressways(Livingston County).
>
>It's the place I practice, but I would need to make it
>lucrative enough for them to be able to regrade & whatnot...
>
>Only rally prepped cars and you'd need to sign a heavy
>waiver.
>
>JC
>#595
>www.gnimotorsports.com

Yes please.... Mid October day would be TOP NOTCH!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you have a facility in SE MI, I think you could keep it busy constantly. Considering many drive 9 hours to go to a secure and useful testing location, this would be great to have in our backyard.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
It is private/commercial land, so no issue with law enforcement or using public roads. It has open space(gravel pit), and tight stuff(storage acreage with short roads).

I had discussed it with the owner(friend & sponsor)to hold a rallyX there last year & he was open to that, I just never followed up(too many things happenin).

This seems like a more lucrative deal to me. I will discuss it with him further & see if he is interested.

I still welcome any further census on who would attend...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
If the cost is kept within reason ($100 or less) I would be interested as well. Livingston County is not too far.

For those close to BeaveRun, you should look into their rally school/rallycross program. I think they are looking to expand their offerings.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Move to Colorado. We have a 5-6 event hill climb series (Not counting Pike's Peak) that are two day events, full reconnaisance, and generally 6 runs on the road, rangine from 2.5 miles to 8 miles in length. $150 entry fee, tow fund payout, end of year payout, and one service area that you can camp at. www.chcaracing.com I plan on buying some land in Wyoming next year to be able to test and practice on. This is one of the hardest things about rally. Lack of legal and safe practice areas. I learned more about my car in 5 runs on a 2.5 miles hill climb course than I did at 100AW. Knowing what is ahead lets you push the car a little more each time and really learn how the car drives.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Around here, Andy Smith at RallyPark NE does testing days for rally cars starting at around $150. ProDrive utalized it once. You can pretty much use the entire complex and set up different courses for yourself. Seems great as it's an hour from me...too bad I have no rally car!

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
what would be awesome if there was a site like this that is w/in six hours of every rally team in the US we could have some great advances in driver skill. i think its possible. we just need to find the land.

this is truely a grassroots effort. if we want it we have to do it ourselves.

did anyone see the japanese dirt trial article in SCC?

they have a permanent gravel "road" course that has multiple configs available. and enough room to hit rally corner speeds it looks like.

this could be a great opportunity for a middle ground between rallyx and stage rally.

cuz face it, not everyone can afford to rally. some can afford the car but not the entries and operating costs. the dirt trials would be a good place for people like that. race on saturday either early or late so you would only need hotel for fri or sat. and if there were enough venues travel/hotel might not even be necessary for every event.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I win the lottery, I'm buying "rally land". I've had many discussions about it while having beers with other gearheads, and I think I've got it down. It's even gonna have a bar on it called "the Skidmark". Here are the specs:

Non-pro drivers will pay a daily fee that will depend on the corse set up for that day, not to exceed $100.02. Pro drivers will log hours and work them off by giving lessons to less experienced drivers. Full garage access with lifts. Heated Storage will be availible. I'll have bulldozers, water trucks, tractors, and all that grooming stuff. 1/2 the course will go through corn to allow for blind turns, but if off, not destroy your car. The other half will be through the woods. Lodging, food, and beer will all be free.

Now I just have to win that stinkin lottery.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Why dont we see more cheap rally sprints?
>
>1 road, or something like that? some nice one-day
>competition?

Matt, THAT is the right idea, but gotta emphisize the CHEAP cause everything creeps up eventually.
CHEAP.
Miniamal, under $30.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
ted are you a closet hippie?

your "rally commune" idea would rule.

sign me up. hopefully i will be "pro" when you win. but of course i will have to win first to achieve that "pro" status.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't think you will see an SCCA rally sprint for under $100. With sanction and insurance for any event they put there name on, it is quickly expensive. And since rally sprints are limited to (correct me on this one) around 15 miles, it comes back to a poor $/mile ratio.

Non sanctioned private land is about the only way to go, but finding a land owner that is willing to shoulder the liability could be a trick. My guess is that even with a waiver, you can lose your shorts if someone gets hurt or hurts someone else. America, the land of no responsibility.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>I think you mean GRM not SCC....
nope its a short article in the mad max STi issue that just came out that has all the impreza owners up in arms cuz oldam had coleman and crew paint project STi flat black.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.