Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go.

I wanted to share with you what the Brave French Didier Auriol said about Rally of Turkey;

"I would rather we stayed at home," he said. "In the current climate, it seems a bit silly to be going. But of course if all the teams are going, then I will go too and try my hardest. However, I'm worried about the situation for sure."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it his own Government toghther with the Germans and the Belgians that chickened out of the NATO directive to assist (16 vs 3 votes) Turkey in case of a war; claiming that there was no immediate need for assistance and that the region was safe ? So why is he worried, does he know something that his Government doesn't ?

To answer the concerns of certain "competitors", on Tuesday, FIA president, Max Mosley said he couldn't find any reason to call off round three of the World Rally Championship.

"The place where the rally is being held is a very long way from anywhere, so it is difficult to envisage any scenario which would end up with any sort of action or fighting in the mountains and hills where they are having this event," he said.

"I've had several conversations with the Turkish Motorsport Federation and looked at every situation very carefully and they can see absolutely no basis for anyone to be worried, and I must say that having looked at the map, I rather share their view."

He added that the event will only be cancelled if fighting breaks out in the area where the rally is to take place, or if the organising clubs and competitors want to call it off.

Now here's the reason why I get a bit sideways when I hear stupid and cowardly comments like Auriol's;

I started my rally career in Turkey 21 years ago. Rallying is a very serious sport in Turkey, second to soccer rallies are is the most followed events. Turkish Motorsports Federation is being run by an incredibly talented and very dedicated team of professionals (even though they are not paid like pros) I had the pleasure of working with in the past. They managed to elevate the Turkish National Championship to a series that has two European Championship rallies and one WRC event.

Eighty percent of Turkish rallies are on incredibly fast but taxing gravel forrest roads (I guess that scares the living daylights out of Didier), the gravel stages are very quick but equally technical.

Turkish drivers are a force to be taken very seriously. I recommend everybody to follow Serkan Yazici (ex-Sainz Focus WRC) Ercan Kazaz (Citroen) and Volkan Isik (Fiat Abarth Rally Team) very closely, not only they will be fast but they will be entertaining as well.

Considering the stages I think Makinen and solberg will be rather successful, Makinen is no stranger to Turkey, before his WRC career he was a regular of Turkish Rallies. McRae can win the rally, he will find the roads very suiting of his style, and again he may have a spectacular DNF aswell.

Fortunately the race will be broadcast live via sattellite so I won't have to wait for SpeedChannel to air it 10 days after the rally is over.

For those who have sat systems; Track Telstar5, coordinates are as follows:

Selected Orbital Slot 263° East
Azimuth 157.57
Elevation 48.09
Frequency 12.122 GHz
Polarization Horizontal
Mode Mpeg2
Crypt Irdata
Signal Rate 22000
FEC 3/4
Video PID 165
Audio PID 100

I'll try to post stage results and video if I can find open bandwidth during the event.

Let's hope it will be a good event and may the best and bravest win.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please forgive this rookie question...
Are all WRC events available on satelite?

I know they're not on SpeedTV until a week later. Could you please point me in a direction (website) that would have more info on the required service?

TIA

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: WRC live (or close to it) coverage

All WRC events are available on sattellite.

One of the FTA (Free to Air) channels is Euronews they have hourly News programs that covers about 10-15 minutes of current races, you can find their signal on the same sattellite I gave the info about.

I get almost live coverage from NTV which is a Turkish news channel that has three one hour long motorsports programs per week that they run twice. I had a chance to see Rovanpera's accident a week before most people had a chance here. Here is the down side, you can not get Telstar5 signal using a DishNetwork or DirectTV system because one is on C Band an the other one is KU Band, however the system is not very expensive you can probably buy it for around $200-$250.

I hope this helps let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

M.Samli

1 - 4 of 4 Posts