Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VP Racing has a fuel, C44, that some of the Formula Ford people are complaining is toxic. Any body on the august board know any thing about it?

TIA
Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
There has been much discussion about exotic race fuels on some of the SCCA forums for Workers and Stewards. Some Workers at last years Run-Offs complained about difficulty breathing when restarting Club Fords on the track. There have been similar complaints from Workers about the Star Mazda series. Most of these discussions from Workers want these types of fuels banned. (Some have even threatened a walk out during the RunOffs). As usual the organization/stewards, etc are slow to take action. Other classes also claim to need special fuels.

On June 11 Vintage Auto Racing Assn VARA stated "Effective immediately VARA bans the usage, storage and transportation to a VARA sanctioned event, all exotic racing fuels. Racing fuels determined "exotic" by VARA are not within the spirit of vintage racing. The banned fuels include - but are not limited to - C44, C46, VFDX and others. These fuels are known to pose a serious health risk not only to competitors on the track but also within the confines of the paddock. Approved racing fuels for a VARA sanctioned event will be as follows: Standard Pump Gas, 100/110/112 octanes, Aviation Gas (AV Gas), Methanol for certain historic Indy cars racing with VARA. If a competitor is found to be using any exotic fuel, immediate disqualification from the event and further penalties will apply."
Other organizations have taken a similar stance.

I guess the old days of using "pump gas" are gone - I remember going to the Sunoco pump and turning the dial over as far as it would go to get the "good stuff".

There are also stories making the rounds about teams leaving these fuels behind when they leave the track. This has caused HazMat/EPA problems for the track staff when it came to disposal.

I am also curious about the events that led to the recent conflagration with Dale, Jr. They supposedly changed out the fuel cell at the track because the fuel was attacking the bladder. Geez, what kind of gas would eat a fuel cell?

C44 is not cheap - $30 or more per gallon. It evidently gives a great boost in horsepower without much attention to tuning. The MSDS spec dont show these fuels to be any more toxic that pump gas, I guess that the combustion byproducts make Workers sick. Some of the Stewards feel that they are not responsible as most racing fuels is supplied by the track and that they do not have the means to test it.

You cant beat a good old rally where you bring your own gas or hope that you can find a station open all nite.

Stay Tuned...

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know every thing I know. Which means we still don't know what supposedly causes the problems with C44. Also, Sunoco supplied gasoline with methanol in it at Sears Point. The methanol caused the foam inside the cells to start breaking down. May be a California thing for air pollution.
Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts