Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
No, no one stepped up to organize it this year, however, there will be the Georgian Trials (OPRC event, about 100km i think) that runs Oct. 18. That rally will use the traditional Voyageurs roads around Britt. I heard talk of trying a winter event there too....we shall see!
Hope to see you there Brian!

John Vanos

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>No, no one stepped up to organize it this year, however,
>there will be the Georgian Trials (OPRC event, about 100km i
>think) that runs Oct. 18. That rally will use the
>traditional Voyageurs roads around Britt. I heard talk of
>trying a winter event there too....we shall see!
>Hope to see you there Brian!
>
>John Vanos

Actually, it will use the traditional Georgian Trials roads that were incorporated into the Voyageurs when it moved to Parry Sound in ?1998?

Otherwise, you are correct. Of course, Oct 18 is the LSPR weekend, so I expect I'll wave as I drive by on my way there.

Adrian

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran Voyageurs in 2000 in the PGT Talon. I considered it smooth and fast.......

There was one rough road but this is rallying.

Definately not a car breaker in my opinion.

Orillia IS A CAR BREAKER!

Brian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I've heard/read in the past that the Voyageurs rally was a
>car breaker.
>Is this true?
>Can the same be said for this years Georgian Trials?
>
>-Darryl

The Georgian trials roads have a fair amount of sand in their makeup, and in some years have cut up severely - this tends to pull rocks out which can do some damage, like flattening tires or knocking the odo probe off (two years in a row :(). Also, a couple of years ago there was one particular rock that got a number of cars. By and large, the GT roads are not car-breakers though. It is also possible to travel a fair way off the road without hitting anything significant (done that), but you must be somewhat judicious about where you go off ;-).

Adrian

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
We only got to see 5 stages (3 diff. sets of roads) of the southern roads near Perry Sound.... they were great, kinda the STPR of Canada,
The area we spectated in the north roads looked good too.
Nothing I saw would break a heathly car with a a smart driver....(umm, alert codriver).

I'm Sorry to hear the event will not be back this year.
Was a great town and neat folks and came across as well organized.
I'm in fact going to spend a week or so on holiday there this summer.
(oh, nooo, I would never dream of doing recce hehe).

Now if we can only do something about the washouts at Tall Pines-
they were well marked in the notes but some were killers.

jeff secor

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know Ross Wood is looking very closely at that to try and find a solution to those awful things. On the road work day they were so bad I had to get my 2 passengers to get out in order to safely make it across each time...Nasty things those are. Hopefully Ross will get something figured out. I think the problem is that the town does not have the budget to really maintain those roads or put a bridge, or more permanent solution. I told Ross to bring one of the boulders used to make the crossing to the drivers meeting, as I figured that would really get the point across!

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>We only got to see 5 stages (3 diff. sets of roads) of the
>southern roads near Perry Sound.... they were great, kinda
>the STPR of Canada,

It is my understanding that they won't be using the southern roads this year, only the northern (Britt-area) ones.

>The area we spectated in the north roads looked good too.
>Nothing I saw would break a heathly car with a a smart
>driver....(umm, alert codriver).

Yes. They didn't cut up that much last year. In some years they have cut up quite badly, making it interesting if your car didn't quite fit the ruts. It should be a good time of year for the roads to have hardened a bit (unless it rains).

>I'm Sorry to hear the event will not be back this year.
>Was a great town and neat folks and came across as well
>organized.
>I'm in fact going to spend a week or so on holiday there
>this summer.
>(oh, nooo, I would never dream of doing recce hehe).

I'm sure we can tell you what roads NOT to drive on;-).

>
>Now if we can only do something about the washouts at Tall
>Pines-
>they were well marked in the notes but some were killers.

They get worse and worse. Warm winters haven't helped, but a lot of the problem is the native wildlife...

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts