Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was checking out what the RallyMoto entrants had for navigating around at Sandhills. Saw several different methods for the transits, but really nothing for the stages.

So have been talking with Arne Johansson about the feasibilty of using his virtual codriver for RallyMoto events that have Jemba notes. He is very receptive to the idea and another technological challenge. Virtual codriver has been used on Pikes Peak for several years. The Jemba note authors use it sometimes transiting sections of roads they have notes for while going to other stages.

Basically, virtual codriver is a voice program calling the Jemba notes connected to a Coralba odo to time when the instructions are called. Its been a couple years since I've been involved and back then we were running the program on the laptop we were using to create the Jemba notes. Am sure the program can fit into a durable handheld computer and then the notes called thru earphone in rider's helmet. The notes are called with English accent (think it was a Prodrive mechanic's voice) so its just like having Nicky Grist sitting there with you. Get to the start of a stage, zero the odo, select the stage name on the computer for that file, and go. Since you'll have to have a Coralba, you'll also have you're average speed, top speed, .... so there are some additional perks as well.

It won't be cheap. Probably the initial investment of the hardware and then an additional fee per program per event that offers jemba notes.

Anyone interested?

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Interested from a curiosity technogadget whizbang holy smokes that's cool standpoint? Yes.

Interested from a wanna pay another $300/event or have to invest in a Coralba standpoint? Probly not.

For me, RallyMoto is a way to go rallying on the cheap. I won't be competitive at it. I just look forward to riding as fast as I want without oncoming traffic. Going by sight is just fine for me.

Mark and others may be interested. It is more their "thing." For me it was and is a bit of side entertainment.

That said, if you want someone to help fine tune the interface, I'll be a guinea pig. :)

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Lancia037Rally said:
Anyone interested?
Maybe some of those guys with the high end bikes.

What happens to compensate for wheel spin?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheel spin

Same thing as what you (your good codriver) does to compensate for wheelspin on their odo. If you expect a lot of wheelspin on the stages, calibrate for it. If you expect wheelspin while the bike is laying in the ditch beside the stage, I can't help you there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Dave's original comments. I cut the throttle on every blind hill and corner. I did find the car tracks were very helpful. I could see the freshly turned up soil and on the tight turns, seeing the tracks then the marker let me drive in a lot deeper.

Looking down at my bars for any real information is not an option for me. Shouting in my ear might work but I think markers are the best way to maintain concentration. I could see the sweep car putting up bike specific markers on pre positioned mounts.

It would have been cool to blow through the spectator areas and get big air over the hills at Sandblast. :D

_Mark

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
My son and I drove the Combo sweep car between the cars and bikes at Sandhills. The last thing that car needs to be doing is stopping and putting out a lot of arrows. It took longer than anticipated as it was, and we had to stop at several spots to check on cars and make they did not move once we passed them.

I can see the course arrows as being very good for the bikes, almost essential, as reading notes has to be about impossible, but it's an investment in worker time that has a cost to the rally.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I think some sort of virutual codriver is a good idea for folks that want to go full tilt.

I also think that good arrowing (I thought the arrowing was very good at SB) and driving what you can see is fine, too. (for me)

There are a few situations that need special attention with regards to arrows. One is cautions. SB did a good job with downward arrows. Another is blind turns. Like a R4 into R1. Somehow we need to know about the R1. An arrow on it's side (before the R4) is fine. This is especially important if the R1 doesn't have runoff (like a T).

Yes, I lifted some for crests, but I was reading the treeline to lift as little as possible. I suppose my luck could run out doing that with deceptive treelines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as a blind person I would be interested. At the moment I am riding motorcycles and I have to rely on somebody following me on another motorcycle using intercom helmet headsets for navigation. So I would definitely give this a go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts