Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located twenty-five twisty (good in a Ferrari, bad in a mini-van) minutes southeast of Reno, NV lies Virginia City, one of the richest silver mining towns ever. Once a year the Quattro Club holds the Virginia City Hill Climb.
Ferrari?s, Porsche?s, Acura?s and Audi?s gather in the scorching Nevada sun to race up an incredibly smooth, twisty and tight access road. So what you say? Who wants to see a bunch of wealthy San Francisco types race? On pavement none the less! Not me certainly, I could be watching the Shitepoke rally beneath the cool Simpson evergreen canopy. But there?s a catch (yeah, I know there?s always a catch) this race is not viewed from the side of the sizzling pavement, it?s viewed from a passenger seat. Being privately sanctioned and relatively relaxed anyone who signs a waiver and slaps on a helmet (they have some for rent) can ask any driver for a ride. Some drivers will tell you ?I?m not giving rides? (yeah right jerk, I just saw someone get out) and some drivers will tell you ?next time, I?m trying to get a good time? but most will say ?hop in.? and now the fun begins.
I rode in several very hot cars last year, the Viper was like a slip and slide, but he had stock rubber that didn?t stick too well. The turbo Audi 4000 with slicks was so smooth it had a huge advantage over the S2000, that thing had more fishtail than a sushi restaurant. A few really stand out, the race prepped Porsche with huge slicks was mind blowing as we passed the 25-mph signs at 90! And the factory prepped Ferrari 348 challenge car was as fast as it was loud. Of course the fastest cars usually don?t give rides because they are there to win, which only means bragging rights for the next year. These include a couple of RUF Porsches?, a wicked F40, a supercharged NSX and some other highly boosted Porsche?s.
If you are in the area on June 15-16 come hitch a ride you?ll be glad you did. This is the website address, www.vchillclimb.org and be sure to wear pants, you can?t ride in shorts. See you there,
Noah

·
Registered
967 Posts
What a memory jogger this is. A long time ago this used to be an SCCA sanctioned event, with CalClub classes and everything. Just like the Mille Miglia road race, except maybe when you came sliding around a 180-hairpin to find some guy with a beer sitting on his front step right in front of you.

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's also been used in rally in the past-in the snow/ice without studs!!
Picture a car sitting on it's roof at the exit of a corner down hill, more cars coming, slipping and sliding, and going in the ditch to avoid collision, people unable to stand on the road without falling because of the icy surface yet trying to move the rolled car.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts