Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if there have been any stage rallys in Utah?

specifically, the area around Moab could be amazing.

anyone else have similar thoughts about the area ?

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Volunteering to host one? Cool! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

By the way, Utah is also considered a Western State for the purposes of the Western States Rally Championship. Put on an event in '04 and be a part of the championship in '05.

Rally on!

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yes they have some beautiful dirt roads up there. Pat and I went up there off roading one time and loved the roads and the scenery. If you get the roads we will help.
Denise McMahon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Iowa. Organization would be difficult at the present, though its something to think about. After doing some business in Sturgis, I'd love to see the Black Hills rally go off, too.

Utah wise->

I was trolling for someone to say "We had a rally there in '77" or something like that. A guy from Moab I was paired up with at COG 2 years ago thought it would be a good spot for a rally- really it was his idea.

Moab, as a town, is receptive to the Jeep Jamboree, and all the nutty mountain bikers.

It's not far from California. Ample hotel rooms and camping.

Anyone live closer than I do or know more about the local laws/working with the BLM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being from Utah, and being the only one out of 4 from utah that have ever rallied to my knowlege and also being the only one in the last few years to do so I quess I could answer this question as good as anyone.
First of all we are actively trying to get to the point of being able to put on a rally here in the great state of Utah, We have a good core group of rally enthusists here and have a pretty good (yet declining) rallycross program. Our hope is to get an event going within the next 3 years. Our biggest problem has not been in the organizational aspect but in the getting actual cars for an event. With only a couple of rally cars within a 500 mile radius we have not fealt that we could put on an event that would be worth everyones time. If there was enough outside interest we would most likely have it done. I think that we have some of the most amazing roads that exixt anywhere. The rally that I have looked at putting on would see elevations of 9000 plus feet and pure desert all with transit miles that amounted to less than 30 miles between the two.
As far as Moab goes there is a possibility that some type of rally could be put on somewhere in that area but not within reasonable transit to and from moab. The enviromentalist have taken that are almost completely out of the motorized vehicle users use. The actaul slick rock trail started life as a motor cycle riders paradise and now they do not allow motor vehicles on that trail at all. The jeep safari gets pushed farther away from moab every year and personaly I don't think there will be very many more years of that either.
The plus side to this is that Utah is covered with some very good roads that don't exist in these areas.
I would love feedback as to the idea of an event hre.
Rally-on Lincoln Woodard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lived in Steamboat Springs for a while.

It's only 4-5 hours from Moab. If they can do a rally, I am sure Utah can swing one.

Drawing cars for a club event shouldn't be *too* difficult. Colorado has a pretty active group as well, in addition to Arizona, California, etc.

I don't have a good feel for the environmental activist climate there. Most of the people I know that live there are pragmatic and recognize that the Jeeps feed and clothe them. I can think of one particularly vocal hippy chick who was convinced the earth would be consumed by fire at the 9/11 attacks, but that could have been a bad shroom or something.

Rally cars obviously have to run on smoother roads (as compared to the Jeeps), so the impact is minimal. The mining roads are already there.

I'm most familar with Moab / Canyonlands, so my bias is obviously down in that area. Maybe some stages in the LaSals.

This isn't something I can move on in the near term, but it's definitely worth kicking around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lived in Steamboat Springs for a while.
It's only 4-5 hours from Moab. If they can do a rally, I am sure Utah can swing one.

Drawing cars for a club event shouldn't be *too* difficult. Colorado has a pretty active group as well, in addition to Arizona, California, etc.

THE RALLY THAT WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IS IN THE SLC AREA AND WOULD ADD ANOTHER 4-5 HOURS ON TOP OF THAT..9 HOURS TO DENVER, 9 HOURS TO LA, 12 HOURS TO AZ. 14 HOURS TO WA.

I don't have a good feel for the environmental activist climate there. Most of the people I know that live there are pragmatic and recognize that the Jeeps feed and clothe them. I can think of one particularly vocal hippy chick who was convinced the earth would be consumed by fire at the 9/11 attacks, but that could have been a bad shroom or something.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR THE MOAB AREA ASIDE FROM THE TREE HUGGERS WOULD BE THAT ALL OF THE LAND THAT IS NOT NAT. PARK PROTECTED IS BLM. THE BLM IN UTAH HAS HAD A ROUGH PAST WITH OFFROADERS AND IS NOT VERY SUSEPTIVE TO LOOKING AT THE POSS. OF A RALLY. ON THE OTHER HAND THE FOREST SERVICE HERE IN NORTHERN UTAH HAS SHOWN SOME INTEREST IN THE IDEA. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE CONSIDERED DOING THE RALLY UP NORTH.

I'm most familar with Moab / Canyonlands, so my bias is obviously down in that area. Maybe some stages in the LaSals.

This isn't something I can move on in the near term, but it's definitely worth kicking around.

ALL OF US WOULD BE MORE THA HAPPY TO HELP YOU OUT ON THIS ENDEVOR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts