Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
United Staes Rally Championship? US Rally Championship? Is one trademarked?? Is this a bit silly to have one sanctioning body essentially copy-cat another body's series name??

I'm referring to the RA announcement here on SS about "U.S. Rally Championship" versus NASA's recent article on SS about their "United States Rally Championship".

Comments? Chicken or the egg?

Mark B.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mark and All

Actually this one is my fault...

I published their release yesterday as soon as I got home, and before I was heading out. Long story short, I didn't read it close, and it turns out that Al K set up those data form fields that replace words on website. I run a pretty mean firewall. So the replacements didn't get put in, and the press release sounded funny.

I got the completed release late last night, I just put up their proper release, with supporting logos etc... Sorry for the start of a potentially confusing issue.

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
http://www.SpecialStage.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm not sure what I would do if I had to name a series for a country. This is the United States, so it's hard to name something for the country without using the letters U and S at a miminum. It is incorrect to use the term "America" as a country name. That is good slang though.
How would we name a rally championship in France? It's hard to do properly without using the word "France" as part of it.
I like the word "National" becuase it clearly differentiates the big championship from regionals. Somehow "national" ought to be used in the name.
I think the RA site still has "US rally championship" in the headline. Are a bunch of people going to be bent out of shape? I hope not.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah-

It's funny how bend out of shape some people (myself included) can get over a name or a label... But that is the type of society we live in these days. If I'm not mistaken, I think someone even holds the copy rights to the word "Super Special" in the States. But then again, we hold the rights to "SpecialStage" so who am I to talk.

I hope I didn't start a problem that doesn't really exist. But if I did... :) don't call me, call my lawyers like everyone esle does.

http://www.special-stage.com
http://www.specialstages.com

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
http://www.SpecialStage.com

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Names...

People who know me know how little I care about semantics, but we need to care more than just a little about our intellectual property and we need to respect NASA's intellectual property as well!

We have decided on a very generic name for our national championship, we have named it the "Rally America Championship". At one time you may have seen the word "Series" at the end, but we decided that was redundant with Championship, so we dropped it.

We're respectfully not using "U.S." so as to not cause confusion between ourselves and NASA. We're not using "National" as that doesn't identify our country.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
RE: Names...

>We have decided on a very generic name for our national
>championship, we have named it the "Rally America
>Championship".

Cool, being an old fart but stuck on the wrong side of the pond, I always wanted to run in the R.A.C.! Now I'll have a chance.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

>Cool, being an old fart but stuck on the wrong side of the
>pond, I always wanted to run in the R.A.C.! Now I'll have a
>chance.
>
>Kent Gardam

The only way you can run the RAC any more.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

>...we have named it the "Rally America Championship".

Ooooh... the Cannucks are going to have a field day with that one.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I've been flamed many times by Canadians for referring to the U.S. as America. Now it's your turn to feel the heat ;-)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

>>...we have named it the "Rally America Championship".
>
>Ooooh... the Cannucks are going to have a field day with that
>one.
>
>You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
>
>I've been flamed many times by Canadians for referring to the
>U.S. as America. Now it's your turn to feel the heat ;-)

Who says the Rally America Championship may not someday include a couple Canadian avents? At least I think it would be a good idea.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

No joke. Speed World Challenge runs in Mosport...

BTW...Why "World" Challenge? Cuz the cars are from all over the world? Probably a question for another forum.

sorry for the threadjack

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>Who says the Rally America Championship may not someday
>include a couple Canadian avents? At least I think it would
>be a good idea.

Dennis:

An idea which I also endorse.

Due to the shortage of winter rallies in both championships, last year I proposed that the Sno*Drift and Perce-Neige count in both championships.

They would still be organized within the individual championships, but would count in both.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Good thinking, JB. Your name is exactly the one I would have thought of. Respecting IP rights is important in a biz sense; not doing it can get one in largish troubles. One local VA wireless/landline company renamed their whole telecommunications offering 'Intelos'. Wanna guess what Intel thought of that?! A lot of dough was spent to reprint forms, brochures, billing forms, resignage of stores and trucks, etc. ad nauseum. Better safe than sorry.

Mark B.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts