Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we were to attend a CARS rally, would we need to be CARS license holders to rcv tow funds? If so, I assume I would need to do the med class & take an addtl physical, or does my Seed 5 SCCA license qual me for a CARS license for the season? How does that all work?
What about contigencies? Are we ineligable?

How about the car? Does IT need to be CARS logbboked to rcv tow funds?

Is there a minimum entry limit? (in other words, could I simply enter 1 CARS event and rcv tow funds for it, or would I need to enter 2-3 for the year?)

THe more I hear about Canadian events, the more intrigued I am...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>If we were to attend a CARS rally, would we need to be CARS
>license holders to rcv tow funds?

Yes, see www.carsrally.ca under News - RDG Travel Fund. If the event also offers tow money, the event supps would indicate eligibility.

The contition of being eligible to score points in the CRC means that you need to be CARS licensed. That in turn means that the car must meet CARS rules (even though it has an SCCA logbook). Note that the cage tubing minimum sizes are different from SCCA rules for a non-FIA cage.

To get a CARS license you would need a first aid certificate, although a first-time CARS license-holder has a 30-day grace period to get the certification after which the license will lapse until it is completed.

The medical examination is treated the same way as above (at least according to the rulebook)

For licensing questions and rules questions contact CARS at 905-640-6444.

>If so, I assume I would
>need to do the med class & take an addtl physical, or does
>my Seed 5 SCCA license qual me for a CARS license for the
>season? How does that all work?
>What about contigencies? Are we ineligable?
>
>How about the car? Does IT need to be CARS logbboked to rcv
>tow funds?

See above.

>Is there a minimum entry limit? (in other words, could I
>simply enter 1 CARS event and rcv tow funds for it, or would
>I need to enter 2-3 for the year?)

This I'm not sure about - your best bet would be to contact RDG (who administer the tow fund) - see www.crc-rally.com for contact info.

>
>THe more I hear about Canadian events, the more intrigued I
>am...

If you arent't worried about the tow fund, you can enter CARS events on your SCCA license with your SCCA-legal car (with the proviso that an open-class car needs to have a 34mm restrictor), but you won't score championship points.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
>The contition of being eligible to score points in the CRC
>means that you need to be CARS licensed. That in turn means
>that the car must meet CARS rules (even though it has an
>SCCA logbook). Note that the cage tubing minimum sizes are
>different from SCCA rules for a non-FIA cage.

Could you elaborate on this? I cant find any mention of the vehicle regarding in the CARS rulebook (regarding liscense). All I can find is, the first aid certificate, complete 2 Canadian or SCCA regional events etc.. No mention of the car...?

My cage doesnt meet the CARS rules, but up until now I didnt think that would be a problem, as it is SCCA logbooked.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>The contition of being eligible to score points in the CRC
>>means that you need to be CARS licensed. That in turn means
>>that the car must meet CARS rules (even though it has an
>>SCCA logbook). Note that the cage tubing minimum sizes are
>>different from SCCA rules for a non-FIA cage.
>
>Could you elaborate on this? I cant find any mention of the
>vehicle regarding in the CARS rulebook (regarding liscense).
>All I can find is, the first aid certificate, complete 2
>Canadian or SCCA regional events etc.. No mention of the
>car...?
>
>My cage doesnt meet the CARS rules, but up until now I didnt
>think that would be a problem, as it is SCCA logbooked.

NRR II D 8 U.S. Vehicles

Vehicles registered in any of the United States of America and running on SCCA licenses shall be acceptable provided that they meet the requirements of the current SCCA Rally Rules. Entrants whose cars are entered under this provision must be able to produce, upon request by the officials of the event, a copy of the SCCA Pro Rally Rules. Failure to produce these rules may result in the vehicle being judged according to CARS rules. However, turbocharged 4WD vehicles must still meet the CARS turbocharger restrictor rules. (See NRR II D 5)

The statement "...running on SCCA licenses..." is the important one. This means that, if you want to run an event or two, you can run on your SCCA license with your SCCA legal car (in the nominally equivalent class) but if you want to score championship points your car must conform to CARS class rules (which is fair considering certain nominally equivalent classes have distinct performance differences - e.g. CARS P3 does not allow a LSD while SCCA P does).

Adrian

·
Registered
339 Posts
Essentially, there is a question to ask yourself:

- Do you want to score National Points?

If no, then you can run on your SCCA license with your SCCA-rules built car with appropriate CARS restrictor.

If yes, then you need to get a copy of the CARS rulebook and comply in every aspect of it. The only reference you will have to the SCCA is that your Vehicle Logbook will be SCCA. EVERYTHING else will be CARS. License, rules, points, etc. etc.

However, there will still be confusion regarding this. Some tech. inspectors will insist that your are judged on SCCA rules. Some inspectors won't care. Some will want to see your SCCA rulebook, even if you insist that it's built to CARS rules and has nothing to do with the SCCA rulebook.

I ran the CARS series exclusively.

CARS license
CARS rulebook
CARS legal
CARS points.

The only thing I had SCCA was the original logbook. I looked into getting a CARS logbook just to make things easier but it was decided not to issue another logbook to the car.

There are always little rules (if you can call them this) that are just different in the SCCA and CARS. When I ran PGT, CARS went to catalytic converters first. So for CARS you had to have one and for SCCA you didn't.

CARS then implemented restrictors first.

Then there was a discrepency about having a back seat installed for a while.

The rules are similar, but can be different.

As for a cage, I believe that you are grandfathered into the cage rules depending on year of the logbook etc......THIS WOULD BE SOMETHING TO ASK CARS ABOUT!!!!

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts