Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The supplementary regulations for the 2004 Galway Cavendish Forest Rally are now posted at http://gcfr.pmsc.on.ca

Of particular interest to American competitors will be the prize fund and tow fund for US Group 5 teams. The first three US Group 5 teams to submit their entries will receive a rebate on their entry fee. If three or more US-based Group 5 teams enter, there will also be a $500 prize for first in class. See the supp regs for details.

The rally HQ is in Catchacoma, Ontario (north of Buckhorn). Approximate driving times to the rally:

- from Toronto, ON, 2.5 hours
- from Buffalo, NY, 4 hours
- from Watertown, NY, 4 hours

Entry fees are quite reasonable compared to similar events south of the border.

I hope to see lots of you out for what should be a fun event.

Jeff
gcfr /at/ pmsc.on.ca

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just curious, are you suspending the normal Candian max displacent limit, or will only cars up to 3.0 litres (or whatever the number is) be accepted?

Jim Cox

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Just curious, are you suspending the normal Candian max
>displacent limit, or will only cars up to 3.0 litres (or
>whatever the number is) be accepted?

The displacement limit does not apply to SCCA-licensed competitors running a US-registered car, provided the car meets SCCA rules (see below).

Any other cars logbooked after Jan. 1, 2001 are still subject to the maximum displacement limits given in the CARS National Rally Regulations:

- 3000 cc, normally aspirated engines, 2 valves per cylinder
- 2500 cc, normally aspirated engines, >2 valves per cylinder
- 2500 cc, turbocharged/supercharged

Jeff

From the CARS National Rally Regulations:
-----------------------------------------
8. U.S. vehicles.

Vehicles registered in any of the United States of America and running on SCCA licences shall be acceptable provided that they meet the requirements of the current SCCA Rally Rules. Entrants whose cars are entered under this provision must be able to produce, upon request by the officials of the event, a copy of the SCCA Pro Rally Rules. Failure to produce these rules may result in the vehicle being judged according to CARS rules. However, turbocharged 4WD vehicles must still meet the CARS turbocharger restrictor rules. (See NRR II D 5)

----------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
so a 4wd, n/a 350 c.i. v-8 powered, open class, scca legal vehicle would be eligable to run in CARS?

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
>so a 4wd, n/a 350 c.i. v-8 powered, open class, scca legal
>vehicle would be eligable to run in CARS?

The car would be eligible to enter and run, however the competitors would not qualify for points in any of the Canadian series. They may however be able to score "out of region" points in the US based series. (NRR 1 A 9)

So - do we have any group 5 competitors that are willing to enter an inexpensive event with the chance of a $300 payout?
pw

·
Registered
935 Posts
Give me 1 year and there might be some Canadian competition...good lord. In reading the supps, does this mean that a Canadian competitor with a Grp5 car could win the prize fund if the minimum # of US entries was reached? I take back wanting CARS to adopt Grp5, there's actual money to be made in these exhibition rounds!

...bump for a good, CHEAP event.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>So - do we have any group 5 competitors that are willing to
>enter an inexpensive event with the chance of a $300 payout?

Don't know if A. Havas will be back in the states by then. Maybe.

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>So is G5 going to be a viable canadian class? It would be
>nice and easy if I could just leave my new car up there...

Personally, I hope so. Some rule changes would have to happen first, though.

There have been some proposals at the National levels to change the rules to introduce Group 5. So far, it hasn't happened. Whether it happens this year is up to the CARS rule committee and the CARS members.

Some people have suggested that Group 5 be implemented at the regional level if things aren't successful at the national level, but any regional classes have to be developed within the framework of the CARS rules, and any newly-logbooked cars would have to meet the displacement limits.

This wouldn't allow a "true" Group 5, but it would give a number of popular cars (SRT-4, Cooper S, VW/Audi 1.8T-engined cars, etc.) a place to play while still being competitive.

Like I said, personally, I want to see Group 5 in Canada. What happens is still up in the air, though.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
You should definitly come ...It's not a long road but its a bloody amzing one...excellent surface (it leads to a limestone quarry so it's covered with nice hard smooth limestone gravel)

A well driven G5 car could take the win quite easily...and I'm assuming your's will be well driven :7 :7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts