Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re Schumachers crash, what the hell took the Safety crew so long to get to his car? I completely concur with Derek Daly on this one. Somebody wants to take a very close look at this debacle.

·
Registered
374 Posts
FIA regulations prevent teams from leaving the pit wall and entering the track while a race is on. The same regulations that state the any vehicle can not drive counter race traffic. It would have been quicker for the medical car to turn around and exit the pit in... but FIA regulations forbid it. Frell the FIA

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
One medical team covering a 2.6 mile circuit?

NASCAR, Indy, et.al. have one every couple of corners on a road course.

Bernie

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Obvious on the oval portion with the walls they can't have them stationed too frequently. But . . . . .

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
While formula1.com may be saying that the medical response was quick, Autosport is reporting that David Coulthard has been critical of the response time.

Unfortunately, you now need to subscribe to Autosport to view articles on their web page, so no details.

alan

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
RE: US Grand Prix. WHO CARES??? No Gravel, no rally

What is this blather about some roundy round boring crap doinng here, I think this forum is about RALLY, eh? You know sideways gravel action relevant to US.
Get this to fantasy/deification/wanky-wank forum.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've worked corners at the USGP. There are corner workers stationed along the front straight BUT holes that they can enter the track through are few and far between. Further, they are under instructions NOT to go on a hot track - especially on the main straight, with cars going 200+ mph - unless the cars are under control of the safety car. There are more than two medical teams (WAY more...minimum one on every station, plus pits, paddock, etc.) but there are only a couple of medical CARS to respond to incidents where workers are not allowed on foot. In a bad crash, Dr. Sid is always the one who responds.

Bear in mind, all the corner workers and the vast majority of medical folks there are volunteers. They do as they're told, whatever they might WANT to do. That crash was in a particularly bad spot for any kind of response.

Bruce

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
JVL - expand your horizons?

JVL-

If you have never been to an F1 race, you NEED to go!

No, they are not on gravel (at least most of the time), but the pure visceral experience is incredible.

It does involve cars, and speed, and I went with other rallyists (and did I mention the pit girls).

Besides, braking from over 200mph to a R3 at the 150 meter board is something that we don't do. Also, we don't bounce off the rev limiter at 19k rpm.

press on,

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Huh? was there a race here this weekend?

>
>Besides, braking from over 200mph to a R3 at the 150 meter
>board is something that we don't do.

The braking is damned impressive....like a dog hitting the end of his chain.

They turn a bunch of rpm, therefore have a lot of torque multiplication, but I've heard their peak torque is less than 300ft/lbs?

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
...and one more thing was said during the commentary. The announcers stated that the driver could be plucked from the car tub and all. Why was Ralf removed on a back board and then put on a stretcher? Would it not be safer to get him out with the form fitting tub and have that done under supervision @ a medical facility?

The fire question is scary given the time frame. I'm sure his brother or another competitor would have ran to try to pull him out.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: Huh? was there a race here this weekend?

>They turn a bunch of rpm, therefore have a lot of torque
>multiplication, but I've heard their peak torque is less
>than 300ft/lbs?

Wouldn't surprise me - it doesn't take a lot of torque to move a car that weighs about 1300 lbs. with driver. One person can push one when it's on pavement and has all its wheels...easier than your Mustang.

I once heard a F1 car could do 0-100-0 in four seconds...and that was 15 years ago.

Bruce

·
Registered
630 Posts
Anybody who has seen the film from Zandvoort 1973 when Roger Williamson burned to death on live television as David Purley alone tried to rescue him, and the marshals stood by and watched should be outraged at the way they handled Ralf's incident.

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Was eerily similar to the response after Senna's crash. At least Ralf was moving.

Ralf may have communicated over the radio that he was (relatively) ok...and I'm sure the medical team is privy to that info.

Still...no excuse. If CART/Indy can get response to cars within seconds, there's no reason F1 can't.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Still...no excuse. If CART/Indy can get response to cars
>within seconds, there's no reason F1 can't.

One difference is that the CART/Indy medical folks - at least on ovals - are paid professionals, while the F1 people are largely volunteers. CART does not hesitate to send its employees onto a hot track, but the F1 powers-that-be won't send volunteers into a similar situation.

Another issue is that the area of Ralf's crash is more accessible during the 500 (both of them) than during F1, due to different safety regulations.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.