Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of running Baie. But I see the web site has no real information yet. Can anyone give me information on 2 issues;
#1. Hotels/motels
#2. Appromixate schedule (last years might be a good starting point if this years not yet tentative).

Traveling from Pennsylvania and not having many vacation days this planning is critical. Thanks.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>I'm seriously thinking of running Baie. But I see the web
>site has no real information yet. Can anyone give me
>information on 2 issues;
>#1. Hotels/motels
>#2. Appromixate schedule (last years might be a good
>starting point if this years not yet tentative).

#1 Hotel/motel space is generally not an issue but if you start looking late, you may be a several kilometers away in Maria but still fairly close.

#2 Tech and registration Friday AM and afternoon, first leg Friday night, rally pretty much all day Saturday, awards breakfast Sunday AM.

Its a haul from PA but well worth it. I've driven there several times from VA. If you'll be towing thru Nova Scotia and the Gaspie Pennisula late night, carry extra gas as the open gas station are far and few in-between in the wee hours.

The rally is worth the haul. Great stage roads with both twisty and flat out sections, spectators galore, several great yumps you'll get to repeat, compact geography with no long transits, nice scenery, well organized, ......

I may be looking for a ride should you go. Or maybe we could carpool from PA.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Hi Don--

LDR ran at Baie 2 years ago. Event is based in New Richmond Quebec--search for that name and you should get a local CofC type site with lodging listed. It's a tourist destination type of place with lots of motels along the main coastal highway. We signed up late, ended up staying about 25 minutes away in Maria...PITA. Made for very early mornings and late nites.

This is Francophone country, it really helps if you or someone on crew can speak French at least a little. The whole experience feels very Euro.

Not sure about schedule this year, whether recce is part of the deal or not. Baie 02 was set up with nice compact format, with single central service area and modest transit mileage. Still, it was one of those day-and-a-half, start on Friday afternoon, run late Friday nite, finish on Saturday kind of deals.

The Baie stage roads are AWESOME. Freakin fast, flowing, many crests, whoa baby, whoooopeee! There' s something about the gravel there--lots of sharp stones, we had more flats than any rally before or since. Carry 2 spares on board.

See ya at STPR,

Dave G
Co-Pilote (and Occasional Hydraulic Handbrake Tester)
Last Ditch Racing, Maine

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
http://web.archive.org/web/20040428070842/http://rallyebdc.com/images/plan_nr.gif
a little hard to read but some listed are:
hotel new richmond
motel francis
le cachet
motel de ville
and au fin , but that is usually booked.
I stayed over about an hour out and arrived in the AM to wait for the land rush parc opening. Helps if you know some french or someone that knows the ropes. It is my favorite tough rally event. Sideways jumps, moguls, fast jumps and grandstands built into the terrain, with lights! More off the ground than on. More jumps in one stage than the whole US series combined. Only bad part is the awards party was very late in the night, many hours after the event. A long way to go but worth the trip.
rz
edit add:

http://www.villenewrichmond.com/ahtm/aecoactcom.htm#hebergement

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
4th of July

One nice thing regarding Baie for US competitors is that it falls on Independance Day holiday so we get a vacation freebie day for travel.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
RE: 4th of July

Best spectators anywhere in North America now that there's no Charlevoix.

Couple of long straights and two tricky corners that happen to be at the end of the long straights!

Big double jumps at the end of Camp Brulee stage that has the classice spectator point and hairpin. The jump's pretty big:

http://www.musketeerracing.com/photos/2003/baie/baie1.jpg
Photo by Tom Hayston - Performance Rally Images

One of my favourites.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, how bad do I really want to go to Baie? I appreciate the replies below, but no one had any specifics such as "we stayed here and it was lousy", or "heres is a specific good place that we stayed". Plus I've now tried several places and the only one with a human being that I could talk to didn't have any rooms available (Motel Francis) and the numbver for Hotel New Richmond is no good. How bad do you want me there? HELP? TIA.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>So, how bad do I really want to go to Baie? I appreciate the
>replies below, but no one had any specifics such as "we
>stayed here and it was lousy", or "heres is a specific good
>place that we stayed". Plus I've now tried several places
>and the only one with a human being that I could talk to
>didn't have any rooms available (Motel Francis) and the
>numbver for Hotel New Richmond is no good. How bad do you
>want me there? HELP? TIA.

We found rooms in Caplan - there is nothing to be had in New Richmond or Maria AFAIK. I haven't been to Baie in a few years, so I don't know what's good - but my driver didn't want to stay in the B&B they were in last year.

Schedule is
1 July 0600-0900 Recce registration
1 July 0900-1300 Recce Leg A
1 July 1300-1800 Recce Leg B
1 July 2100 Reception

2 July 0930 Registration and scrutineering opens
2 July 1600 Registration closes
2 July 1630 Scrutineering closes - all cars in PARC FERME
2 July 1800 Parade start
2 July 1830-2230 Leg A

3 July 0900-1230 Leg B
3 July 1400-1700 Leg C
3 July 1900 Awards/Banquet

Adrian

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Don,
I realize that you want specifics, but they may never come. Like most events, even those in the US, you find lodging and food where you can. You haven't had one response(have you?) that is negative about the event?

Trying to make reservations with someone who knows little to no English can be a challenge, but patience and persistance will pay off in the end.

Keep calling around and find a room and tow up there. You won't regret it!

Cheers! John

·
Registered
240 Posts
The shic shok? is not very good the showers were variable some times warm some times cold, but it usually has rooms. No english though took me a half hour to get extra towels but some how they managed to take reservations over the phone. Take 95 all the way into canada and then take route 2 most online places will tell you to take route 1 it's shorter but not time wise especially with a trailer. It is going to be 1 day recce that shoulden't be to bad with such a compact route. The event is totally worth it as far as I have seen its the best event. One service park that has lots of space it's in the parking lot of the ice areana registration, tech, all the meetings and the banquet which is now on saturday night are all in the ice arena. The people are so supportive it's ubelivable. the roads are challenging but not to rough you can run your car medium not to low but definitly not high like MFR. I think the reason that you are all wound up is tha you are use to other events run here run their format, it is so well organized and their is enough time for everything and it's just not a big deal when you find the ice arena (which is easy becase they have lots of signs and it isn't really that hard anyway) you are done . I think it is the one event that can reasonably do a one day recce because it is so compact. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I got rooms in Caplan. Now I just have to concentrate on keeping the car in one piece at STPR x(

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
The main drawback to Rally BDC for a US competitor is that it's in an area of Quebec where many locals don't speak any English, including the hotel owners (go figure.) All the town suggestions above are good, I think we stayed in Caplan last year, about 9 miles west.

As far as the rally goes it's a premiere event. You will rarely find a better organized and operated rally. When we added up all the ideal vs actual start times, we ended up finishing the rally some 3 minutes late. Unheard of for an American rally. Round the first turn of the rally, and you're confronted with 5,000+ screaming spectators. Transits are tight but generally short with usually only a couple minutes to spare - if you stop to change a tire you'll be late. Dave G is right, we had two flats on the rally ourselves.

The roads are a little too "roller-coaster" for a co-driver's liking (has a reputation for making even the hardiest co-drivers sick) but the drivers love it. Goal for Friday night is to survive, the best stages are on Saturday. Remind your co-driver that transit times are calculated differently than SCCA.

Many of the US competitors caravan up together, though this year may be a little different since Tim and I are going up on Wed for the recce and others may not be going up till Thurs (full recce, no Jemba notes available.) The more the merrier!

If you can't make it (it's, what, a 20+ hour tow for you?), you have no excuse for Defi or Tall Pines. Personally, I like those 2 rallies better.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, Wazoo Racing Subaru Impreza WRX, Production GT Class
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

1 - 15 of 15 Posts