Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am working on some sponsorship related things for the CRC for 2008 and need to get the actually spectator numbers for the CHCA events.

These figures are not at this time being made available to me as a non-member (and I am not buying a membership just to get them).

It occures to me that the gate figure is provided in everybody's payout documentation and that I could extract the attendance numbers from those.

If someone that has those documents could PLEASE get those figures to me ASAP that would be awesome. This is important to making impressive things happen for 2009.

Have Gold Camp II, still need the others!

·
stay less flat...
777 Posts
I am working on some sponsorship related things for the CRC for 2008 and need to get the actually spectator numbers for the CHCA events.

These figures are not at this time being made available to me as a non-member (and I am not buying a membership just to get them).

It occures to me that the gate figure is provided in everybody's payout documentation and that I could extract the attendance numbers from those.

If someone that has those documents could PLEASE get those figures to me ASAP that would be awesome. This is important to making impressive things happen for 2009.

Have Gold Camp II, still need the others!

tc: gate - 2,776.00, pre-sales - 610.00, registration/sweep - 1,132.00
gc 1: gate - 1,353.00, pre-sales - 150.00, registration/sweep - 928.00

there was no payout for Land's End. probably because of the timing person's vehicle getting hit...

I'd guess spectator turnout at Land's End was a little less than TC, but definitely more than either GC.

hmm... seems like the rally-stagesque courses get more spectators...
any numbers for BV '07? that had the biggest rally field ever right? or was TC '08 more?

thanks
Scott

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
there was no payout for Land's End. probably because of the timing person's vehicle getting hit...
They mentioned that Lands End was going to be held up until they squared away with the city for road damage. I'd expect we'll still be getting checks at some point.

Dave

·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They mentioned that Lands End was going to be held up until they squared away with the city for road damage. I'd expect we'll still be getting checks at some point.

Dave
Forest Service for the road.

And there will be the small matter of the deductible for the insurance for the timing workers vehicle as well...

I wouldn't get my hopes up, its possible the event will be a loss from my view point...

·
Rapidly filling your mirrors
315 Posts
The situation on the timing vehicle damage is a touchy one. The Club's paying out any amount of money on it is leaving the door open to claims by any worker or spectator who encounters damage. Be it from a rocked windshield or a damaged oil pan in the pits. In both cases (and the actual) the fan, competitor, worker, was aware of the potential for damage by way of warnings, waiver and ticket purchase. If the vehicle was insured (I was told not) then they could fight with the insurance company so long as they avoid the mentioning of any 'speed contests' which are exclusions. (even not competing it could be a sticking point with some companies)

Personally if we were asked to "pass the hat" for a few bucks I'd be willing to put in a few. Directly paying out of the operating fund however I'd be opposed to that. Paying (even part) of the damages to one vehicle would also rightly apply to the other damaged truck- Nanks. It's my understanding that the Safety net has some funds not tied directly to the Club which they can manage as they wish so hopefully something good can come of that as well.

* I'm assuming Kevin you plan to convert that amount to spectator numbers? You plan to average the one day vs two day ticket costs or something? Don't overlook the common marketing spin of "spectators over the weekend" where they count 100 on Sat and 200 on Sunday for a total of 300 despite 100 of the Sunday ones being the same person who came on Sat.....gate manipulation.

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
tc: gate - 2,776.00, pre-sales - 610.00, registration/sweep - 1,132.00
gc 1: gate - 1,353.00, pre-sales - 150.00, registration/sweep - 928.00

hmm... seems like the rally-stagesque courses get more spectators...
any numbers for BV '07? that had the biggest rally field ever right? or was TC '08 more?

thanks
Scott

Scott - for GC II, there was another number for tix purchased by teams (for their crews?). IIRC, it was on the order of $100-200. I'd assume that without knowing how many tickets were purchased ($10 vs. $12), that we'd have to just use the $12 fee divided by the total dollars collected.

I think we get more spectators at events where there's an actual population living nearby. I'd assume Buena Vista, Monarch, and Gold Camp have the lowest spectator turnouts simply b/c they're in the middle of nowhere.

Dave

·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless that person had a $5,000 deductible, I'm sure we'll be getting something back...however the rally class might not due to the jacket expense. :(

Depends on how the insurance is handled and how the policy is written.

In some instances in the past (not CHCA specific) race officials vehicles that are damaged can be covered under the event insurance if there is a provision for damage to infrastructure. In other racing series, incidents that have damaged course facilities or equipment have been paid out by either the event or the facilities insurance. In the case of an event such as a hill climb or a rally the only way these types of things would be covered other than straight out of pocket costs would be if the policy was written to include provisions like this. Seeing as this is not a likely occurence it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that there is a coverage clause in the policy.

Even if the event policy wasn't applicable, and it is hard to say whether it is or isn't, at the very least the non-operable vehicle was replaced at least temporarily with a rental vehicle and I would expect those costs to come out of the events operating capital.

I am not meaning to assume that the CHCA has a policy structured this way but I am also not meaning to assume that the CHCA does not have coverage.

And an argument could be made that the risk is assumed. However, if the operations of the event dictated that a vehicle be placed somewhere of questionable safety then I for one would refuse to allow my vehicle to be placed there unless there was a provision of coverage should my vehicle be damaged.

·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as what I intend to do with the numbers...

There is no way to get the exact figures unless the event organizer keeps track of them. Even if that did happen its not necessarily of more benefit to have the numbers in that format or not.

I simply plan to report the total ticket sale based revenues. That number alone provides some sort of scale and scope as to what amount of people (and their value) were present at the event. That is the most objective and reliable measure of the amount of attendees (especially since not all events regularly run a well managed gate (I have been to events where ticket purchase was not required for instance, so no numbers would be available)).

·
Rapidly filling your mirrors
315 Posts
However, if the operations of the event dictated that a vehicle be placed somewhere of questionable safety then I for one would refuse to allow my vehicle to be placed there unless there was a provision of coverage should my vehicle be damaged.
And there in lies the slippery slope.

"I was told I had to pit here. I ran over the big rock (GJ pit) and punched a hole in my oil pan. You forced me to pit here. Pay for it."

"You require me to get radar speeds here, my windshield and grill got trashed. Here's the repair bill."

I could go on but you can see how this opens the door for a host of potential arguments. Most ones that I'd much rather the Club not have to deal with. What you do for one....and trust me people remember such things.

Before someone goes off that I don't give a crap, that's not the case. It's not a point of no compassion for the incident, it's what's in the best interest of the Club as a policy. If there's a fund please let me know and I'll fire off a few bucks. If the event insurance will cover it all the better.

For the future perhaps a requirement for any worker to hold station is that they are "required to show proof of comp coverage" for just such a purpose. Much simpler.

Back to the figures, sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts