Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have not been up there since the photos were taken but I am sure there is no snow. The temps have been above freezing during the day. Unfortunately right now it looks like another snow free tall pines! :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
North Bay and Bancroft get very similar weather. Right now the forecast is for rain and warm temps mid-week. Rally weekend they are calling for only a high of 2 degrees C. I am guessing we are going to see frozen roads with icy patches. Little chance of snow.

I will keep an eye on the forecast for you.

Dave C
2004 TallPines Crowd Control Officer

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave, it's appreciated.

My folks live in Belleville, but it's entirely different down by the lake than up in the mountains.

Pics are always welcome!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Heading up on Monday. Expect an update with new pics by Tuesday morning.

The forecast is looking like a brown Pines. However, don't get caught out. Things can change very, very quickly up there.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>My folks live in Belleville, but it's entirely different
>down by the lake than up in the mountains.

Eric:

Mountains?

The people out west must be laughing. ;)

Perhaps highlands.

Doug Woods

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Any word on if there are "fords" -bone crushing, rock filled "road repairs" like we saw two years ago? (Did not run last year, so I don't know if there were there)

Thanks
Jeff (I'm a flatlander and know it) Secor

·
Registered
268 Posts
Jeff, there's a couple of the ones from two years ago in the route, but they've been improved a lot from then (smaller gravel put on top of the boulders).

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Ryan - thank you, weather permitting (yeah, right) it could make a difference w/what tires we might run.
- I assume they are marked in the route book (?)

I recall two years ago they came in three flavors - !ouch, !!holy ^%$%%^# , and !!! I killed my car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll be in the book. Should be in the notes too, but I haven't seen them.

BTW, unless the forcasts change or something strange happens, I'll be on soft gravels for the day.

·
Registered
532 Posts
>Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll be in the book. Should be in the
>notes too, but I haven't seen them.
>
>BTW, unless the forcasts change or something strange
>happens, I'll be on soft gravels for the day.

It looks like Ryan has got it right here. Forecast if for 100% chance of RAIN on Saturday :( . High 6 degrees C, Low of -1.

This is a long-term forecast, so take it with a grain of salt. Mount the gravels, but bring the ice and snows, just in case.

Dave C

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Note that the conditions that you describe do not necessarily mean that you should run gravels. You can get ice with an ambient temp. above 0. It's all about what happens overnight in the shady corners.

Ah, Tall Pines. The motto should be "how many rims do you have?"

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Rims?

Don,
That's rims with tires mounted.
ACP is famous for his "tires for conditions" arsenal.
crunchy ice tires.
soft ice tires.
ice with a little granular snow on top tires (but melting).
ice with a little granular snow on top tires (at night).
and so on and so on and so on.
rz

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
RE: Rims?

>Don,
>That's rims with tires mounted.
>ACP is famous for his "tires for conditions" arsenal.
>crunchy ice tires.
>soft ice tires.
>ice with a little granular snow on top tires (but melting).
>ice with a little granular snow on top tires (at night).
>and so on and so on and so on.
>rz

Ha ha.

Note that Randy Zimmer has the "welllllll, they're round and black and hold air" arsenal of tires. Didn't you go out with ice tires on the front and gravels on the rear in 2002? That swapped ends on one of the first corners if I recall. Or was that someone else and I'm hallucinating again? Damn hallucinogens.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts