Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the unit of measure for fuel economy in Canada? Is it liters per 100km or km per liter or something else?

alan

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
The'standard' system is l/100km but most people still think intermsof miles/gallon ... however that is an imperial gallon ;-) not a US gallon.

Keith

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Yes, I Beleive it is L/100km

It is L/100km, which is a totally useless measure that was imposed by the government during the switch to metric. 20 years down the road, most of the people I know still think in miles per (imperial) gallon or kilometres per litre.

Adrian

·
Registered
61 Posts
Then thars us metric kids...

You tell me L/100km and I understand...it's that darn miles per gallon that has me converting!!

-Dave

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
True, you poor kids who never got the joy of learing Imperial measure have been indocrinated with these units (how big is a hectare anyway? :p). I use a lot of metric units interchangeably with Imperial ones, but I use km/l because I find it a much more meaningful unit than L/100km.

Adrian

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here's the deal. For those of you who don't know, I write and distribute as shareware (and someday hope to sell, if I can think of something to write that someone will pay) rally applications for PalmOS and Pocket PC (Windows CE). Right now, I am working on a fuel economy calculator and range estimator.

You give it a distance and quantity of fuel consumed and it will calculate the rate of consumption as well as average it in with previously entered values. Also, based on the calculated rate of consumption, it will tell you (either with a graph or a table of values) an estimate of how far you can go on a given amount of fuel.

The calculations for doing all of this are very simple, but designing a user interface that can deal with different units and measuring systems (mpg vs. L/100km) and look nice in a 160x160 display and be easy to use is not as simple.
So, what units do Canadian co-drivers work with when doing these calculations?

(We seem to do much better in Canadian rallies than we do at home, so Canada often seems more like my rallying home, so I have to make applications that work for Canadians!)
Thanks for your help,

alan perry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts