Special Stage Forums banner

Umbrella Girls, Yes or NO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm intrigued by this umbrella girl post that Chris started. Some poeple think they are par for the course, some think they are necessary for success, and some poeple feel they are a pathetic promotional scam. Let's quantify it here, so that our illustrious leaders have something to work with.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>In Atlanta, MI, in January. Girlie girls need not apply.

Yah but can you picture them babes all dressed up in flashy orange and green Snomachine racin' snowmobile suits. Holy Waaaaaaa.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
What about a why bother category?

I just don't see rally as being able to even utilize such a promotional tool right now.

There is a lot that can be done that won't be nearly as controversial and probably cost less too.

A score of umbrella girls will likely cost over $5,000.00 per event, or more, and no, using interested college girls wouldn't be a real option. If you're going to have young women prancing around in seductive clothing you want someone that can really sell your product, not be a distraction...

Using that $5,000.00 for expanding print media (how about guided media tours for local media to provide more insightful and hands on looks into stage rallying to build a better understanding) coverage, paying more to the PR firms for more aggressive solicitation of print coverage, or how about pumping 5k more into the TV budget per event. That would be more camera men or perhaps a helicopter (most helicopter companies charge 300-500 per hour, 5k could easily cover a day of helicopter coverage, and I don't think anyone would argue against good aerial coverage of a rally car being one of the most exciting and specactular things in motorsport).

Umbrella girls have a place in motorsports marketing but North American rallying isn't really in a position to exploit the benefits. This assuming that umbrella girls have soemthing tangible to offer stage rallying to begin with, which could be argued convincingly from either view point without one emerging a clear answer.

·
3,740 Posts
I'm not saying thats what Rally needs either.

But you'll reach a larger audience and create more interest and excitement with more print media or an even better TV program (and I think anyone that has seen what TV2GO did for CARS last year would be very excited for next year like I know I am).

Like I said, there are better ways to spend the money that Umbrella girls would absorb that will provide higher gains.

This is for the sport in general, talking about uses by individual teams changes the argument noticably.....

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
My new codriver is a part time model kinda. Basically if someone walks up and asks her she'll do it if they pay her. Anyhow, she was a model for Fox Racing at the Mtn. Dew Extreme Sports thing in Denver a few weeks back. $100 a day. Not too horribly expensive.

Screw umbrella girls. I've met alot of rally guys and you'd all just drool all over your expensive rally seats and suits and drive like a wuss. Kevin brings up a good point. More money spent on promotion would probably have bigger benefits. The umbrella girls would come with the bigger crowds and sponsors. So I voted no. I'll just have to go to WRC events for my umbrella girls I suppose.

Edit to add: Actually. There isn't a definitive no. I think rally and skin do mix and can and should mix. So I'll vote for more helicopters too. Can I film from one? That'd be fun.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>What about a why bother category?
>

Why bother would probably fit under the "Rally and skin don't mix" category.

That would be
>more camera men or perhaps a helicopter (most helicopter
>companies charge 300-500 per hour, 5k could easily cover a day
>of helicopter coverage, and I don't think anyone would argue
>against good aerial coverage of a rally car being one of the
>most exciting and specactular things in motorsport).

I think Doug Havir's sister is a helo pilot. I might get rated as well. Perhaps it's time for a RA helicopter? Buy JB a bunch a beer at Cog and see if you can talk him into it.

Speaking of JB, it looks as if he has voted, since we have one under the "Umbrella Guys" category. }(

Dennis (Am I on probation again?) Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
3,740 Posts
>I think Doug Havir's sister is a helo pilot. I might get
>rated as well. Perhaps it's time for a RA helicopter? Buy JB
>a bunch a beer at Cog and see if you can talk him into it.

only if you provide the ID.

Or I could do something worse, I could sick the Pueblo people on him....

Of course, I mention something cool like helicopters and SEVERELY derail part of this thread.

I still think the poll is flawed, someone could think rally and skin could mix but there isn't any point to it.

But helicopters are cool, and helicopter shots are really awesome. Although I agree with what appears to be TV2GO's approach. Forget the flash and pinache of a helicopter and provide solid, high quality ground based camera coverage and put the money into having a large quantity of quality shots and great editing, instead of a few great shots and a lot of substandard filler.

Number one thing that bugs me about the WRC coverage is the editing!

Now Dennis get some balls and come hill climbin'.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Umbrella girls? Who cares? Just another fluff distraction that will end up costing rallyists in the long run.

Rally sluts would be nice, but you don't have a category for them.

Back in the 70's Fiat used to fly hookers down to the East African Safari for their teams. Now that is something worthwhile!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts