Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scanning the Day 1 Tour de Corse results to see how Patrick was doing and something interesting popped out at me:

It may be an asphalt rally, BUT: Mercier sits in 12th O/A in Group N driving an N3 Clio, 3'4" behind the leader and ahead of a whole whack of N4 cars including such notables as Blomqvist and Richard - "oh yeah, let's amalgamate N3 & P3"... x(

In other news...

Richard sits in 17th after Day 1, 5'26" behind the leader.

Robin

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>It may be an asphalt rally, BUT: Mercier sits in 12th O/A in
>Group N driving an N3 Clio, 3'4" behind the leader
>and ahead of a whole whack of N4 cars including such
>notables as Blomqvist and Richard - "oh yeah, let's
>amalgamate N3 & P3"... x(

Probably local knowledge, a good driver and a nimble car. I'm sure a well-prepared P3 car (if it was allowed) in the same hands would have a similar placing.

Adrian

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ok, I've been wondering this for a while...What exactly are N3 cars allowed that P3 cars are not? What is the spec of the cars like?

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Ok, I've been wondering this for a while...What exactly are
>N3 cars allowed that P3 cars are not? What is the spec of
>the cars like?

It really depends on what is homologated. I have the papers for the A3 Golf, Polo, Golf TDI, Golf TDI GT, and the Focus -

For the A3 Golf, you start with the euro-spec engine (blame VW for not importing it...), and you can add the following (as of March 2001):

VO #1 Dual cooling fan
VO #2 1 different set of gear ratios, 2 different final drive ratios, LSD, different driveshaft, hydraulic handbrake, dual master cylinder, brake pressure regulator, brake pressure limiter.

Note that you are limited to a 57mm diameter exhaust (manifold to first silencer). Volkswagen seems to homologate similar stuff for all their N cars, since the Polo, TDI, and TDI GT also have similar gear ratio and brake options.

For the Focus, as of the beginning of 2001 they hadn't homologated any extras for the N car. The exhaust is defined as a 62x46mm oval (after the cat)

Group N cars do have some freedom in the ECU, but probably not a lot more than people are doing with chips in P3. If you really wanted to, you could build a dogbox for the car (maintaining the homologated gear ratios and the stock case).

Adrian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts