Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh yeah. I've been around rallying most my life, and I've always had an intrest in it. Just not everyone's noticed. Okay, here's the soul question: What is the 'best' car to start with for a beginer?:7

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Being one of the old codgers, I like the older vehicles out there. They are cheap, they are strong and plenty of spare parts. I like old Toyotas, Datsun 510's, etc. You can start in Stock class for a year or two and have a load of fun for next to nothing and then later, move up and play with the more powerful machinery. Go to Open class and spend a few dollars more, but have even more fun. Newer machinery is nice but EXPENSIVE! Last,but not least, try and find a car already built and proven. Lot less hassle and you'll be out there playing in the dirt a lot quicker. Just my penny's worth.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Your best bet is to find a built car that you can afford to maintain.

Ben's Page is the best place to shop, realistically VW Golf/GTIs are the most popular front wheel drive in the US.

If you want rear wheel drive an RX-7 would be the way to go.

And if you must have AWD an Audi 4000, or if you need the turbo a talon/eclipse. If you want a little newer and have a bigger budget a Subaru 2.5 RS or the WRX works very well.

Everyone has an opinion, some based on what they are selling:)

Mike

·
Registered
527 Posts
VWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWV
WVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVW

Not selling...

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll second Mr. Bodnars comments. Something you can maintain,
but also something that you can, in the immortal words of Bob Neilson: "Afford to wad up". If you can't afford to crash it
into little tiny bits and tow it home, you're in the wrong car.

Especially at first!

Look for Safety and Reliability in your first car. You can
ALWAYS add power later to any car. But anything with a
history of DNFs will kill you trying to get it "right".

!Have someone that knows their stuff check out the cage!

I'd recommend a VW Golf. Cheaper parts for the 85-92 model years, could POSSIBLY run national if you are so inclined
and find a newer than 20yr old car. Built like
a tank typically. Lots of them for sale already prepped.
Tons of competition at every event in G2.

Subaru Impreza 2.5RS is another tough car. AWD, plenty of power to get into trouble (and out) Can sit upside down at the bottom of the
80ft ravine on the mountain and be driven out. (just ask
Pierre Bazinet and myself) Little pricier than a Talon/Eclipse
but you can learn AWD without the turbo boost issues.

Ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
>
>
> why not older honda civic si, verry plentyfull! Cheap
>power, and easy to work on and fix.

Not many rally-prepped ones available...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is it time to create a FAQ for this site? The "first car"
question comes up every few weeks.

As for the Civic Si, see my comments from last month on
the car. (Basically; no torque, structurally weak, do a
GTI instead).

Patrick

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i agree this should be a conference of its own or at least faqed or archived cuz it does pop alot w/the same answers but i will say we are getting pretty good at answereing it!
i am personally opposed to vw cuz they are a pain to work on compared to a subaru. dont get me wrong i still like them (VW's)and would rally one given the chance if the right one came along at the right price but i would much rather compete w/a subaru. and it doesnt help that i have an unhealthy relationship/obsession w/them. the tranny and clutch are on the back of the engine where they belong and the cv axles can be changed in about 10 min a side and they are both the same on left and right the fuel tank is in a good spot on the new ones they are adjustable and tough.
but yes they are more expensive than vw and dsm. you could get a awd eclipse ad put a na motor in it i bet. that would be a good way to do it or get a galant gsx that is awd NA.
and yes vw are all over at events and they are good reliable cars and i have crewed for two vw driving teams and i will admit that the G2 guys are a blast they are like a little cult! and all the vw guys are ready to help each other at the drop of a hat.
just my.02
greg donovan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys thanks for all your replys. I really appreciate all the input. I'm really into VW's but I wasn't thinking when I was planning. I know (know of)some people that race VW's. And I really love that new bug ('98) that Dave races. Well I think I'm going to look into a good '91-'92 GTI, I....uh..... just can't really work on it cuz I know nothing about cars (what makes 'em go) well sorta but... not really. Well thanks a lot you guys!

:DRRC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.