Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I suspect that they're gone in 2005.
>
>A sad, sad turn of events.

Autosport is reporting that (not officially confirmed) Marko Martin has signed with Peugeot and that Ford will pull out. This is from the free portion of the story on their website.

Adrian

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
WRC.com reports Duval rumored to Cit and Sub. They also report that Martin is likely to Pug and or Cit (think Cit might be dominating now, Seb and Martin with Cit support, sickness).

There is still Mitsu and Skoda to be decided, but it looks like Ford is doomed.

Ford guy: "Yay, lets go spend more money in a type of racing where we have little to no chance of success!"

Edit to add: Ford is also number 2 in the manufacturer standings, almost no way they'll be number 2 in F1....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Man, that sucks! The Ford's were my favorite cars to watch at the Mexico WRC event! They look incredible in real life. What a shame.

Aaron McConnell

·
Registered
96 Posts
the real thing is, who many of you actually own a focus? if im wrong and you do, then ford perhaps made the wrong choice, but it seems for the money they were putting in the sales numbers just weren't perportional

·
Registered
239 Posts
Correct. I think the proper question would be "how did Ford WRC affect sales of Ford product in Europe, and the rest of the world?" where smaller cars such as the Focus are more predominant, and where their marketing campaigns are aimed. My guess is that not funding the WRC is one of the many signs that Ford is still suffering somewhat from larger commercial and financial issues.

Remember, though, that this is not the first time that Ford has walked away from the WRC. There was a recent editorial in Racecar Engineering about the fist time Ford pulled out - mid '80s, I think? At any rate, my guess would be that M-Sport (Malcolm Wilson) is trying to work out a deal to still develop the new Focus for 2005, but run a limited campaign (Europe events), and not necessarily as the "Ford World Rally Team". I guess we'll see what happens in a couple of months!!

Mike Moyer
Eclipse GSX #302 (being rebuilt)
CRS GT
SCCA PGT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts