Special Stage Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The only advantages I can see for open are readier access to torque, and perhaps just the engine would not be stressed as much as the 2.0 (less boost) - but with the restrictor required it would be a toss up.
The engine does have AVCS too.

The 6speed gearbox casing is stronger, but of course you can just buy that, as you can the block/crank etc.

And even the brakes are the "17 inch" brakes and won't fit under the usual 15" wheels, so they would be dumped anyway.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Unless you are building a Tarmac car, there is not much advantage to starting with the STI, You would have to take off all the STI bits to bring it to gravel spec and why start with something that cost $30k when you can start with the standard WRX for $10k less and end up with the same results.

·
400 flat to crest
6,117 Posts
Phil,
Don't take it badly but the name of this Discussion forum is SpecialStage, and as such I really don't see what discussing a car which fits nowhere in the current class structure and posting essentially a big long advertisement in your post has to do with Special Stage Rallying in the US or Canada. But then again I guess that's part of your job working for Subaru.

You mentioned that all sorts of companies have sprung up with experience and tricks, and there I would say they have sprung up to fill a need for concrete information and from what I have seen IF they actually manage to make something work it is only after extensive rebuilds and modifications to the original parts, with major substitution of the parts I mentioned: Rods, pistons.

Unfortunately, it seems most are groping around half blindly to supply info which in the end is and has been available for years in various iterations of the 2 liter Sti.
In other word they are charging often outrageous and outlandish prices for things which in the end, if they work at all, only just match what has been out there for years on the STis, and which a smart and progressive company would have recogized and assited with parts and information: Looms and ECUs and cohereant wiring diagrams would be a nice start.

As would be expected, in your note there was no reference to( to the PERTINANT to this forum) issue of the pitiful cast, slotted oil return pistons and the truly bizzare square dishes in the piston crown, and weak rods on the US models of the 2 liter WRX, AND since there are and have been better parts on the shelf for years, any chance Subaru might relent and sell some essentailly stripper models, as most manufacturers have tradionally done, with decent components?

Oh, and maybe shove the R180 diff in the WRX and offer a set of decent ratios, again which have been available from you guys for years, elsewhere?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well John I can't speak for competitor support from Subarau as an evil roadracer I haven't had a chance to drive at a rally but I will tell you they do a hell of a lot for local organizers such as myself.
There is an annual Subaru meet in Vegas every year which coincides with one of our Rallycrosses , Phil and company provide us with prizes for all our drivers regardless of what they drive. (beyond what they provide for the Subaru meet) I can also tell you that by bringing Pettor to Rim they provided alot of enthusiasm for the sport. We now have one new 3 or 4 new rallycrossers as wel as one Sube owner shoping for a car. Plus a couple of the guys worked Rim and will be doing it again this year in additon to working our sprint.
They have also done a lot for CRS as a club.

Tom Grossmann Las Vegas Region SCCA Rallymaster.

·
Registered
192 Posts
>Unfortunately, it seems most are groping around half blindly
>to supply info which in the end is and has been available
>for years in various iterations of the 2 liter Sti.
>In other word they are charging often outrageous and
>outlandish prices for things which in the end, if they work
>at all, only just match what has been out there for years on
>the STis, and which a smart and progressive company would
>have recogized and assited with parts and information: Looms
>and ECUs and cohereant wiring diagrams would be a nice
>start.

I guess that makes us one of the smart and progressive companies as we've been doing just that for the past 4 years. Besides squeezing various iterations of the STi motor/drivetrains into US cars for a half dozen customers, we've been offering factory parts and homologated rally parts at what we consider to be decent prices. But you have to understand the costs of importing small quantities of parts and the investigation work that has gone into determining Japan to US model parts interchangeability....its not like selling Ford Motorsport parts cranked out in the millions and where the information is in English to begin with!

And as for the weaknesses of the 2.0L turbo motor...I think you are off the mark on a few things. The advantages of the flat-4 design far outweigh the disadvantages...no 2nd order harmonic imbalance to deal with...a crank that's as short and light as you could possibly have...low center of gravity...etc. The crank is definitely not crap (forged high carbon steel w/ deep rolled fillets). Yes, the rods are a weak point but no more so then most other modern motors. The pistons are no longer using the oil slots you mention and the STi's are using forged pistons. Actually the aftermarket has had a hard time with the Subaru's short skirt piston design. We've seen JE pistons last only a few thousand miles in a low-stressed road application (which could perhaps have been the problem to begin with).

As for the new 2.5L STi being a poor platform to build a group N rally car...the more I think about it the more I disagree. The US will be the only market getting this engine and the numbers will be limited. There should be no problem selling these engines for a premium and using the money to purchase the correct motor and assorted bits. Same goes for the brakes, suspension, and interior...sell the bling-bling parts and use the cash to buy what you need.

-Dave Anton
[link:www.rallispec.com|www.rallispec.com]

·
Registered
43 Posts
ROTFLMAO....

My god. In my opinion, the STi will be a great street car, which is what 95% of those car owners want. If you want to build a rally car, start with with base wrx, save yourself the money, and stop complaining.

Is the STi a street legal rally car? Sure!!! Ever hear of TSD or gimmick rally?

I for one, applaud Subaru for stealing the Evo's thunder, I only hope Mitsu responses appropriately.

Steve Baumbach

>Here's a deal for anyone upset with the STi having a 2.5:
>
>I'll trade you the 2.0l engine in my daily driver WRX
>straight up for the 2.5l in the STi.
>
>Of course, you'd have to supply the labor and warranty the
>work.
>
>Really, I'd be doing YOU a favor ;-)
>
>-Mark Holden
:p :p

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.