Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the tv ratings were in 2003 for either the WRC (world wide), Canadian championship or SCCA? anything would help... well, anything real, not made up numbers or rumors.

thank you

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts
i ran across a website somewhere that had numbers to that effect, who knows how concrete they are, but i cant remember where i saw them. sorry

·
Registered
527 Posts
Canadian audience numbers really aren't much use in a sponsor presentation this year because networks and program formats keep changing. For instance, the audience that watched half-hour Canadian rallies on TSN in 2002 was much greater than the audience that watched prime time hours on Sportsnet in 2003. The decline was due to both the longer format and the greater competition on weekday evenings compared to the "rally vs religion" or "rally vs cartoons" competition on weekends. I always prefer our chances against the Teletubbies rather than American Idol.

Jud and Keith haven't announced their TV deal yet and until they do, no one can really guess what audience numbers will be.

Here's another question. Since the CARS series became televised has any team (or event for that matter) ever landed a sponsor because of TV exposure? Maybe Makita and the Bighorn, certainly Targa Newfoundland. Anybody else? My point is that perhaps the actual details of the TV audience are less important than the fact that the event is televised therefore a certain level of bigtime professionalism is implied.

Any ad agency that tries to evaluate a racing sponsorship by putting a value on the number of seconds of logo exposure is going to conclude that buying commercials is a better return on investment. I don't think it's lack of audience data holding us back. It's salesmanship and marketing expertise. I will personally step forward as a prime offender. Look at the superb job the Targa NF promoters have done at sponsorship solicitation. Their two-year old event generates more sponsor dollars and international media coverage than the rest of our current series combined. The performatnce rally community could learn some lessons in St. John's.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, Sorry guys, I never intended to start something going about the lack of ratings information. I am not trying to get any sponsorship or coverage... if I was, I wouldn't be running a P3 car ;)

This is for a different matter that night have a good impact on rallying as a whole.

Jorge

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
>I never intended to start something
>going about the lack of ratings information.

Nor was it my intention... It would be nice to have these numbers to make our presentation and proposals look more professional/complete...but I agree with Lawrence that there are other factors that contribute more to 'sealing the deals'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts