Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a very good source I was told that an anouncement of a $18000 ready made Rally car would be anounced soon, anyone have more news about this? Rumor is a Neon or Focus.

David

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Of a lot more intrest to me than the $18,000 price is will there be financing options, can we buy this car though the manufactures normal financing arm at low intrest rates.

The total package if done right in these ways could be very atractive. Basicaly it could be like spending $2000 to get into the game and $500 per event in the car ie $500 a month for pament and insurance (race car insurance).

If done like that it would be a killer package.

If asking everyone to go spend $18,000 right out of the box, well it may take some time to become a large class.

Derek

·
Registered
397 Posts
>From a very good source I was told that an anouncement of a
>$18000 ready made Rally car would be anounced soon, anyone
>have more news about this? Rumor is a Neon or Focus.
>
>David

What you have heard is mostly true. I seriously doubt that said car would arrive from the factory with Rollcage, belts, saftey equipment, suspension, proper brake pads, ect. But if a certain car company were to make available a car that has proper power, a good gearbox, and a real contingency program. Hmmmm........This is EXACTLY what is rumored to be in the works, and VERY CLOSE to happening. But we must still be 'quiet' about it, so no particulars. :9
Happy New Year all.
John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A Turn Key Rally Car and a Car available from Manufacturer for $18,000 with contingency program are vastly different.

I would very likely buy a brand new, from the factory, turn-key rally car for $18,000 to compete in any class or a new spec class. This would be too good of a bargin to pass up. (Even if there was some assembley required - but not a lot of additional costs.)

You will be able to buy the new Dodge Neon S-whatever for about $18,000, I just read this in auto-week or grassroots.

Adding Cage, reinforcing the body, adding Seats, changing Suspension, adding underbody protection, re-routing fuel and brake lines, stripping interior, etc. might make me shop Mazda vs. Dodge -- but as I already have a car I would have little incentive to switch this year.

If it is not a complete package I am sure it will still have a few enthusiastic supporters, so either way a new contingency sponsor is a welcome addition to the sport I am just hoping for the bargin rally program.

Mike

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Unlike VW, which provides a spec Polo, with cage, proper suspension and body protection, LSD, the whole bit, for under $20,000.00 new, and which can be picked up used for $12-14K. Unfortunately, this is only in Europe.

Wilson

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
>
>Play Station 2 - $324.99
($199.99, for people with nothing better to do)
>Colin R.3 - $69.99
($ 49.99, no substitute for reality)
>Plasma TV - $12000
(Flatpanel $499.00, to turn blind)
>Audio set - $50000
($399.99, so you can become deaf)
>
>I would say pretty close ;)
I would say,.. not even. :+

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
www.rallyanarchy.com
143 Posts
Wow, I didn't think 22" rims would be P class legal. }>

--Andrew

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: Where do we sign up?

Oh yea, the other thing I was told waiting final signing was a toy company coming on board as a sponsor.....hint, see above post.

As far as the 'turn key' car goes I wish I knew for sure and who it was etc. In our case, our team is switching brands and class for next year with the building of a brand new car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The talk I was told is that they "HW" were a probable sponsor for ProRALLY itself. Don't believe anything until the ink is dry. I also understand that Kurt will not make the NorPac Convention because he is on his way to Europe so who knows when and if this all comes true.

I was interested in finding out about the so called 'Turn-key' car because we are building one of the mentioned brands for next year.

One thing that I do know for sure is that there are some great areas for April's Reno Rally and a meeting on it will happen sometime during the NorPac Convention with a major land owner in attendance who is very interested in helping to put on a great show. If all works out he may even fire up some of his equipment and make a special stage for some side by side action. His land is about a 35 minute transit from Reno and he wants to make it worth it and is even willing to talk with the BLM about some ajoining roads to his property. IT REALLY IS GOING TO HAPPEN !!! Details should be ironed out very soon.

David Hackett
Reno, NV

·
Registered
436 Posts

Is this April event in Reno going to pay CRS championship
points? Teams need to know now so they can rearrange their
schedules/budgets.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Don't hold your breath for 03. Maybe 04. Ford was interested and had some negotiations in the works with some builders, etc. Then it got scratched in favor of spending the money elsewhere.

Since then, I have been approached by some folks at SVT...since I am apparently one of the resident rally guys there now. Expect to see some real rally parts (and perhaps some rally-look parts) to go into the SVT catalog. I am giving them some advice on this. "Turn key" car from Ford is not probable, though.

I think the Dodge boys across town are striving for something closer to that now...but I will let one of them tell about it. I doubt a full on spec car as was first discussed through Blue Oval, but rather making all the parts available for a doityerself job. Time will tell.

Also helping Mazda develop rally parts for their catalog as well. They already are the envy of the industry with regards to supporting grassroots racers with competition as well as stock parts.

While I think things have died down a bit regarding "turn key" or "spec class" cars, it is definitely a good time to be in the sport. It reminds me of the days when you would go to a rally and see throngs of supported 2.2 Chargers and Omnis. When was the last time we saw this kind of parts support?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts