Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for a while I decided to join the group. I am building a car, a Mini. Has any one sucessfully campained one in the US? I have heard that the courses are too rough for them (rougher than the Welsh Rallies?).

I hope to have it ready for the '04 season (it's a pile of bits now). That is, if I can get off my butt and bolt it all together... Hope to see some of you at the 100aw in '03.

Cheers,
John

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Hi,
I have driven hundreds of miles in the depths of deepest darkest Surrey SW of London on safaris searching for "real ale pubs" and since I'm not a complete alky lout I wa susually the designated driver on they return trips. All these trips were in a variety of Minis usually with 1275 motors.
I have also beat to death several Austin 1100, essentially Austin Americas with a smaller motor and less carbs, and they are just bigger bodyshells.
I know the cars very well and have been a fwd fan all the years I have rallied, in the car which was hot both before and after the Minis kinda short competitive career, the Saab 96.
'
I think that the thing that made the Mini good in those years on very narrow, very twisty roads is thing same thing that would make it very unsuitable for the HUGE STRAIGHTISH FAST roads here in North America, and that is it's overall teeeeeniness. not the roughness, our roads are not rough. But they are fast, and the Mini is short, especially for gravel.
But hey do what you want, does it really matter if the car is competitive in Historic? As it seems now it is an exhibition class and nobody gives a flip.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168
1969 SAAB 96 V4
Last 96 in the WRC

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've only seen one Mini at a US rally - a Pennsylvania event back in '89 or '90. The driver had 2 complaints - low ground clearance and narrow track compared with everyone else. The roads were smooth and fast with a thin layer of loose gravel that had been swept by the fast cars so there was a double groove 2 feet wide with good traction; except the Mini couldn't keep 4 wheels in the groove and with the short wheelbase was a bit twitchy.

I'd say running a Mini is highly road-dependent; I wouldn't even consider it for CRS events. The roads here can get so chewed up that a Mini could easily get high-centered just going along the stage.

They are very cool cars though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hhmmm, Good points. I had hoped to run in events in the southeast and central regions. I had not thought about the speed of US events. I grew up in southeast Missouri driving the dirt roads but never in a Mini, but in a MGB. I remember "surfing" the car on many occasions, and had a great time.

Gosh I was hoping I could use the old Group 2 Cooper S for rallying as road racing has gotten really competitve ($$$). Seems to have lost the laid back atmosphere that was present 10 years ago.

John

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>After lurking for a while I decided to join the group.

Welcome!

>I am building a car, a Mini. Has any one sucessfully campained
>one in the US? I have heard that the courses are too rough
>for them (rougher than the Welsh Rallies?).

I can't recall seeing a Mini at a stateside stage rally. Road races mostly.

>I hope to have it ready for the '04 season (it's a pile of
>bits now). That is, if I can get off my butt and bolt it
>all together... Hope to see some of you at the 100aw in
>'03.

Justin Pritchard, the guy who rented the frumpy Son of RallyeTruck to do 100AW earlier this year,

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/100AW-02/P2230122.jpg

has purchased a Mini from the motherland and hopes to debut it at Rallye du Paris in December. I'm sure you'll see it at 100AW '03 as well.

http://www.realautosport.com/Harvey/PritMini.jpg

>Cheers,
>John

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
That event was in Williamsport in 89, Took some photos of that car. Can't remember which stage I was working
Brian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I can't recall seeing a Mini at a stateside stage rally.
>Road races mostly.

There was one running in Ontario for the last few years. It seemed to have more than its fair share of mechanical problems though (some of which were road-induced).

Adrian

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rallies in the Midwest and Southeast are not as rough as those out West, so the Mini should do pretty well. The only problem I see is events like Headwaters and Ojibwe where the roads are soft and it might get high-centered.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First, a bucket of encouragement is sent your way to join the H Class. Questions, call or email me (or Bill Rhodes etc.)

Second, regarding the Mini, Eric Jones rallied a Mini before moving to 510s, you might want to call him. He's been there, done that. 740-363-2203.

When will we see the car on the stages?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The one in Ontario was a Clubman with a number of mech woes - Paulo Nunes?

There is one running regionals (and winning them) in Quebec, but it is a mini in name only: RWD with a Toyota 4G (or whatever) engine. Don't ask me how that works with the rules.

A.

Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope to have it running this time next year. I have to go through the shell and weld the seams and put a proper cage in it. It seems that the SCCA allows a more comprehensive cage than HSR (this is a good thing in my mind), is this so? It should have a top speed of 100 to 110 mph (but this might be too spookie on the gravel, we'll see).

Thanks for the references. I have been reading through Peter Browning's book on how the works teams in the '60 put together their cars. So any further help will be welcome. My wife is excited as well as she is a big fan of Rallying. I'm guessing that we will trade places to find who works best behind the wheel and who is best at looking down, reading, and ignoring the din going on around them.

Our main goal is to go out and have fun and not be a moving shacane for the rest of the field.

Cheers,
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts