Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been digging around for some pics of the iner works of a "Works" Triumph TR7 or TR7V8 or TR8 ... Cage pics and under workings ? And any info would be helpful... Just found out thay rallyed the cars:p ..All I seam to get on the web is out side pic's of the cars ?

Thanks

David

Hazardous Toys inc

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
The book "The Complete Guide To The Triumph TR7 and TR8" by William Kimberley (published in 1981) has a bunch of photos of the Works cars, including two interior shots and three good underhood shots. I think the book is long out of print, though. I can scan the photos, if you like.

I can't see the cages in either shot, though.

I was looking into building a TR7 (and still might if I can't get my Talbot Sunbeam Lotus project together) and got info from Safety Devices on their TR7 cage. Here are the photos:

See http://www.snowmoose.com/images/tr7Cage1.jpg

See http://www.snowmoose.com/images/tr7Cage2.jpg

This is a bolt-in cage and is FIA homologated.

My biggest concern with doing a TR7 is lack of availability of low-rust, coupe (without sunroof or sunroof coversion) shells.

alan

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
John Buffum had a works TR-7 with B-L support here in the 70s ... They moved him up to a TR-8 so he could carry on the tussle with Rodney's RX-7 and Hendrik Blok's various projects (13B powered GLC still sticks in my mind). If memory serves, John Smiskol had a TR-8 as did Jon Woodner. John Shirley ran a TR-8 as recently as a few years ago and had his Maine Forest off videotaped for posterity ...

Halley ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS, let's get it on in Group F!
http://www.realautosport.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Yeah, but don't try asking Buffum any questions about the cars. Not knocking him in any way. He just doesn't seem to remember much about them.

That TR7 book that I mentioned has a picture of Buffum helping push one of the Works cars out of the snow at an event in 1980.

alan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help ,, any more would be nice to

I just got a "no rust coupe no-sunroof" To play with.. May be "to nice" for a rally car..Not that I was going to rally it.. I have anuff toys :+ ... It was there , so I got the weed eater and cut it out of the guys back yard ;) ..

Wow,, It looks like the TR7 was rallyed alot.

Nothing like "driving nails with a sledge hammer";(

That V8 motor should get crashing into trees at a real good velocity.

Just a student of motor sports is all .. The tarmac cars look cool.

Now to see why the little car was parked?

Have Fun

David

Hazardous Toys inc

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
>John Buffum had a works TR-7 with B-L support here in the 70s
>... They moved him up to a TR-8 so he could carry on the
>tussle with Rodney's RX-7 and Hendrik Blok's various projects
>(13B powered GLC still sticks in my mind). If memory serves,
>John Smiskol had a TR-8 as did Jon Woodner. John Shirley ran
>a TR-8 as recently as a few years ago and had his Maine Forest
>off videotaped for posterity ...

From what I remember and have been told by several people, the only "factory" TR-7 V8 in North America was once owned by Jean Paul Prousse and is now the John Shirley machine. The Buffum and Woodner TR-7 V8s were TR-7s modified with the Buick 3500 V8. John Smiskol bought one of Buffum's TR-7 V8s to rally in the early 80's.

Don't believe there were any true TR-8s ever rallied in North America but, I stand to be corrected.

>
>Halley ...
>RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS, let's get it on in Group F!
>
>http://www.realautosport.com

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

·
3,979 Posts
>From what I remember and have been told by several people, the
>only "factory" TR-7 V8 in North America was once owned by Jean
>Paul Prousse and is now the John Shirley machine. The Buffum
>and Woodner TR-7 V8s were TR-7s modified with the Buick 3500
>V8. John Smiskol bought one of Buffum's TR-7 V8s to rally in
>the early 80's.
>
>Don't believe there were any true TR-8s ever rallied in North
>America but, I stand to be corrected.
>
>David Weiman
>rallydave at pobox dot com

Sounds plenty plausible, actually. But it's J-P "Perusse" ... He also piloted one of the ex-Safari Rally Peugeot 504 V6 Coupes brought stateside by Laurence Edwards and Peugeot Motors of North America back in 1981. There seems to be some connection between folks rallying TR-8s and Peugeots. John Buffum drove the 504 Coupe Safari at the '81 Big Bend Bash (winning handily) and then the 100 Acre Wood after his stint in Triumphs. J-P Perusse also followed his time in B-L machines with time in the French rally cars once he took over from Buffum and completed the balance of the '81 season driving for PMNA. Woodner also moved from a TR-8 to a Peugeot 504 Coupe after the Woolf/Whittaker tragedy in 1982. But so far as I know, Shirley never rallied a Peugeot and I am quite certain I never rallied anything from British-Leyland!

That PMNA activity worked to my advantage after a gaggle of French rally mechanics descended on my 504 sedan once it had completed the '81 Big Bend Bash and announced the car "thoroughly used up." Fortunately, they had a cherry, donor 504 sedan chassis and a Peugeot 604 V6 drivetrain back in NJ with which I was able to assemble the first 504 V6 sedan on the continent. Parts from that car, by the way, are finding their way under the 505 V6 sedan I hope to debut at the '05 100 Acre Wood ...

Halley ...

·
Registered
789 Posts
John Laitenberger in Canada had one of Buffum's TR8 (s) and sold it in the late 1980(S) or earl 19990(s) to Kevin O'Dea in WNY.

Kevin ran the car with some degree of success.

He then sold it to some speculator/ broker where it showed up in a Hemmings in Florida.

The cages in those cars were bolt-in Safety Devices.

Quite the monster of a car with lots of stories.

We rebuilt it once after a roll-over on a Canadian event, so I got a hands-on look at it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
- I believe Buffum had two, if not three, factory TRs!
- The first was very rare 16V 4-cylinder. (I dodn't think Leyland ever sold these to a public?) After blowing the engine and no spares he sold it to a Las Vegas doctor (don't remember the name) who tried to rebuild the car without success.
- The second was an ex Simo Lampinen car, if I can believe what I was told at Las Vegas Rally in '80. It sure looked like a factory car with cross ram 4x45DCOE Webers and other stuff I've seen in Europe.
- The third? I don't think they never rebuilt the wreck from Mendocino Forest Rally....so at least the new chassis came from somewhere.

- Whatever; TR8s were/are really cool cars! Now the same Buick / Rover alu engine has grown to 4.5 liters - exciting Historic Power?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a "real" TR8 coupe. It's a street car, spent most of it's life in Texas ( not rusted ) till I bought it in 1987 with only 50k miles. I had thoughts of building it into a rallycar.....but cooler heads prevailed and it remains one of only about 220 TR8 coupe's ever built. It's NOT one of the pre-production coupes that BL brought into the US before the real TR8's appeared.

Historic Rally Content: Back when I was serious about making the car into a rallycar, I had stripped the shell and ran the brake line etc inside etc. I bought "ex-Buffum" bilstein coilovers from Ted Shoemaker of T&S Imports in Ohio. These coilovers have the rates stamped into the side of the tubes and are stout. I put shorter springs on them and they remain on the car today. Handles great, thanks.

Cheers

Colin
Car # 555 Rally Sierra XR4
1965 Cortina GT future Historic rallycar

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A TR7 "looks" way short?! to rally ? Let alone rally on a V8 PSI !

How is it on wheelbase "as said per" the other rally cars of the time???

Topi ,, Is right ,,, Lots of Rover power about

What trans would one use?

Have Fun

Captain Gear Box

Hazardous Toys inc

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
In the early 80's there was a Road & Track comparison test of Buffum's TR8, Bob Tulius's Road Racing TR8 and a street car. The suspension and engine specifications were detailed in the usual thorough R&T manner along with a number of pictures. If I can find my copy, I guess I could scan it in. I also got a good look at the TR7 prepared by Colin Hines racing for British Leyland of Canada. I believe Walter Boyce rallied the car. On that car the stock A-pillars were cut open to accomodate the roll cage A-pillar tubes. This resulted in a very clean installation without the view obstruction from both the a-pillar and roll cage in the small cockpit of the TR7. I don't know if Buffum's cars had this type of cage. The R&T article might clear that up.

I also think at least one of Buffum's TR8's had to be the official version, because he competed in at least one RAC rally and several other FIA events which required homologated vehicles.

Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
3,979 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
3,979 Posts
>>http://media.car-videos.com/videos/rally/buffum1.mpeg
>
>Ya gotta love JB (while driving): "Hard left downhill, okay.
>Look at that view on the left if you get a chance."
>
>Kent Gardam

John's comment at Rim and that running oratory on vid #2 have stuck with me throughout my rally career.

I'm told that following Vicki's "Oh," response to John's "Look at that view ..." comment was a scatalogical reference beginning with "S" - I guess she looked up when all there was to see was air ...

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
>Links not working?
>
>Does one have to be a member? All this talk, I *gotta* see
>these!

They still work for me and I don't remember ever signing up for anything, but if they still don't wortk for you check here - http://www.realautosport.com/video_clips/ I just copied them to my website ...

Halley ...

·
No!... My left!
147 Posts
I have the '80 R-T article in my files. It is a comparison between Buffums and Tullius's Tr's. I also have pics of the car ... before and after he hit the tree on POR. I can E-mail them if you want them.
I tried to post a picture here before with no luck.

·
Trogdor
915 Posts
They worked... eventually. The site must have a pretty crappy bandwidth limitation.

The "millen" videos are both RX-7, not TR-7.

- Pete (They are now on eternal repeat on the spare computer)

·
3,979 Posts
>The "millen" videos are both RX-7, not TR-7.

Right, but there is a shot of Buffum's TR8 starting a stage and then some frames recording a piece of the Libra Racing service stop (complete with the license plate "TR 8") ...

Halley ...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts