Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seamus Burke did what is expected, ran away from the field.

The Group 2 Isuzu Impulse of Randy Bailey/Will Perry is flying too - fifth overall in a field that had eleven finishers in Open! And this may be the most economically prepared car there. Stock springs, cheap (not rally) shocks, motor never out of the car. I think this is 12 wins in 12 finishes for the Isuzu, Club and Pro.

I notice the top ten is all what some here call Jap Junk. And the British cars seem to be holding up better, on average, than the German cars!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Any news on the Arizona boys, Brian Scott and Roger Hull?

[hr]
CP
Desert Storm Rally
8V MkII GTI #305

[url]www.usrallynews.com[/url]
[/i]
[hr]

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just curious: What's in the name "Trespassers Wil" ? What's "Wil" ?

PS. Congrats to Joe Izusu. I remember people making fun of his car choice but he got the last laugh!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the "Trespassers Wil" is a reference to a sign along the route somewhere. The sign was broken only leaving this part of the message. Speculation about what the rest of the sign says could be "l be Shot" or something of the sort.

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
A reference to the Winnie the Pooh books, I believe. Somewhere in the story the characters come across an old weathered sign reading "Trespassers Wil". Evidently the sign originally read "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted (Shot? Eaten?) All in keeping with the 100 Acre Wood theme.

Jonathan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trespassers Wil = Piglet's address at the beech tree.

From the Pooh Guide:

P-P-Piglet
Description: A Very Small Animal. A timid pink pig, about 10 inches tall.
More Description: Likes to wear a long striped shirt.
Original Address: Trespassers Will, 100 Aker Wood S.W., In a Beech Tree, South of Pooh's House
Current Address: (Lives with Pooh) 100 Aker Wood West
Best Friend: Winnie-the-Pooh
Favorite Food: Haycorns
Favorite Things to Do: Adventures with Pooh
Other Favorite Things: Enjoys bright colors and balloons. Likes to blow dandelions.
Details About His Original Address: Next to Piglet's house is a piece of broken board which reads: "Trespassers W".
What "Trespassers W" Stands For: Piglet says this was his grandfather's name, and it was short for "Trespassers Will", which was short for "Trespassers William".
What the Sign Said, Before it Broke: "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted", or "Trespassers Will Be Invited For Dinner". I'm not sure which.
What He Does Every Tuesday: Spends the day at Christopher Robin's house.
What Happens When He Is Nervous: His ears twitch.
First Thing He Say's in the Morning: "I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?"
Quotes and Sayings: "Oh, dear! Oh, dear, oh, dearie, dearie, dear!"

·
Registered
274 Posts
RE: unfortunate accident

If anyone truly thinks its not attributable to the rally, they are either dreaming or a lawyer.

"What will the locals think?"
Thats the only question that is pertinent.

Ed

·
Registered
434 Posts

So if I take my rally car to the store and get in a wreck its rally related? If I put SCCA Rally stickers on my streetcar would it be rally related? The logic escapes me.

The fact is the rally was over and they were heading back to the hotel/home. Accidents happen...the details of the crash say the driver made a mistake and caused an accident. Unfortunate, but not related to the event anymore than a spectator on their way home.....

Any why would pics matter when there is a detailed account of the fact that a "rallycar" was in an accident after the event was over? Seems to me the whole account should be deleted based on the logic (or lack of!)

·
Registered
521 Posts

We were about the fourth or fifth car to arrive after the accident, steam etc were still pouring out of the wrecks.
Without going into allot of details about the condition of the cars or the people in them, one point that was brought up I think should be noted.
The Co-driver was not in the car, the pessanger was a crew member. The Co-driver was riding ahead in the tow vehicle, when they noted that the car was no longer behind them they turned around to discover the accident. The Co-driver was very mad and upset because he had tried to get the driver to allow them to trailer the car back to town because they were both tired. The belief on at the site of the accident is that the driver had fell asleep and drifted across into the path of the other car.
In all the event was a great one, we were one of those teams that didn't want to make the long transit back at the late hour and decided to load the car in the trailer and tow back. I strongly suggest others to make the same type of plans for towing back after a late finish when the transit back to town is long.

·
Registered
131 Posts
>Methinks my codriver has too much free time on his hands... (ha ha)
-Brian Flanagan

>Trespassers Wil = Piglet's address at the beech tree.
>
>From the Pooh Guide:
>
>P-P-Piglet
>Description: A Very Small Animal. A timid pink pig, about 10
>inches tall.
>More Description: Likes to wear a long striped shirt.
>Original Address: Trespassers Will, 100 Aker Wood S.W., In a
>Beech Tree, South of Pooh's House
>Current Address: (Lives with Pooh) 100 Aker Wood West
>Best Friend: Winnie-the-Pooh
>Favorite Food: Haycorns
>Favorite Things to Do: Adventures with Pooh
>Other Favorite Things: Enjoys bright colors and balloons.
>Likes to blow dandelions.
>Details About His Original Address: Next to Piglet's house
>is a piece of broken board which reads: "Trespassers W".
>What "Trespassers W" Stands For: Piglet says this was his
>grandfather's name, and it was short for "Trespassers Will",
>which was short for "Trespassers William".
>What the Sign Said, Before it Broke: "Trespassers Will Be
>Prosecuted", or "Trespassers Will Be Invited For Dinner".
>I'm not sure which.
>What He Does Every Tuesday: Spends the day at Christopher
>Robin's house.
>What Happens When He Is Nervous: His ears twitch.
>First Thing He Say's in the Morning: "I wonder what's going
>to happen exciting today?"
>Quotes and Sayings: "Oh, dear! Oh, dear, oh, dearie, dearie,
>dear!"

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts

Heard at local restaurant Sunday morning (paraphrased)

"Wasn't it too bad about that family of four that was killed out on Hwy 32 last night."

No before we get all upset (and our listener was about to) the conversation followed....

"These nice rally folk bring this wonderful event to town and something terrible like this happens."

So what we had was a stupid rumor floating around and a positive spin on the bad rumor. For the most part we rally is appreciated and respected and we only expect that to improve.

Our listener set the breakfast conversation right.

BTW I was at Barnes Hospital last night and visited Jared (Hanson) and Brad (Meyer). Both are banged up but will fully recover. Brad has purchased Larry Schmidt's old Colt and can't wait to finish it up and go play (he's an ex-BMX rider with worse injuries to his resume than these). The young lady in the station wagon is also expected to recover fully. Jared's and Brad's Mom's are here bivouaced at the local Holiday Inn.

And yes...next years' Supp Regs will specifically outlaw teams from Colorado with anyone under 25 associated with them. This is getting old.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
>Methinks my codriver has too much free time on his hands... (ha ha)
-Brian Flanagan<

Emma will be reading Pooh stories soon and you will need to know these things.:D

Mike

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

Ed said:
>If anyone truly thinks its not attributable to the rally,
>they are either dreaming or a lawyer.

Since I'm no lawyer I guess you can call me a dreamer, but I simply do not understand the logic in your staatement. We can get philisophical and contend the accident wouldn't have happened had the rally not been in the area, but since the rally was complete, the results official, the awards handed out and no one was instructed to do anything further that night I can't see how SCCA or any of us running in, officiating at or working the rally have anything to do with the accident. There was at least one team (maybe more) who stayed in Ellington Friday night, got up the next morning and drove (or towed) to Salem for the beginning of 100AW events. You're telling me that SCCA and/or event participants could be implicated if one of those teams suffered a similar accident early Saturday morning? That would make no sense either, but I have faith that at least half the lawyers and insurance agents involved will try to ascribe blame where it defies all logic.

>"What will the locals think?"
> Thats the only question that is pertinent.

Absolutely. From what I have heard the community is concerned but not alarmed. Accidents, after all, happen. Had that rally car been speeding, crossing double-yellow lines and/or passing a string of cars irresponsibly I believe the tone & timbre of the local response would be FAR different - and rightfully so.

You get the opportunity to comnmunicate with a lot of locals as stage captain at four ATCs and I'm happy to report that every interaction I had with civilians - armed or not - over two days was WAY cordial and I was frankly amazed at how in-depth their knowledge and understanding of the overall event was. So far as I'm concerned the extent to which Kim and his crew went to educate and inform paid off in spades. A few locals I chatted with Saturday mentioned knowledge of the Friday night accident, expressed concern for all three occupants but said nothing negative about the rally or its future. To date, I believe the answer to your question is that the locals remain happy with our rally community visiting their hometowns and leaving our money there.

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts