Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Apparently didn't injure his ankle TOO badly when it got run over at the Indy supercross, huh? Best of luck, guys.

·
Registered
907 Posts
from a personal experience the road at Pikes Peak is nothing compare to what he will see at places like RIM.

-george

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
west coast drivel

I wasn't allowed to see all of what RIM had, but up to the 3/4 mark, it sure didn't live up to the hype.
"OOOOH, our waterbars are so intimidating!"
"OOOOH, we have such shear dropoffs!"
BS, a road is a road and in truth, I'm a chicken.
Thinking someone who's specialty is flight is going to be affected by some particular road is at best, wishful thinking.
rz

·
Registered
907 Posts
I am not saying that RIM is extremly intimidating, but compared to Pikes Peak, I would be more concerned there. My personal feeling is that Pikes Peak is not realy a tru rally stage, it is a pretty safe road, very wide and most of the exposores are in safe places, you would really have to do something pretty bad to go off there. Before I ever went up there, I was pretty intimitated by all the stories I have heard from other people. When I finaly got to run there, I can say that I have definitely seem much worse at other rally events.

I think people make it into a much bigger deal then it is. It is more of a chalenge on the equipment and making sure it last all the way up the hill and if you want to set a good time up the hill you do have to know what you are doing and run very clean lines. But it is definitely not scary, this could all change ofcourse if we ran it downhill :D

-george

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How come he's listed as GrpN for Rim? Typo, or did he move up?

Jay
92 Eclipse G5

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Yeha Mark Lovell hanging the front off of the car two years ago, not dangerous at all.....

If you watch from 16 mile you'll see how close the guys get to hanging the right wheels off the mountain on every run, thats a 4,000+ foot almost sheer drop off there.

I don't think as a driver you realize how close you come to hanging it off the mountain, certainly not in the area I am talking about.

I've seen multiple year veterans mis take a line a little bit and and almost go off, two years ago a guy lost his brakes coming into a hair pin, actually ended up hanging a wheel off the mountain and almost not making the turn and hitting a wall.

Last year the outside of the road was falling away in one spot from cars running with part of their right tires off of the mountain.

You are right most of the scary drop offs are outside on hair pins, fairly wide hair pins at that, but that doesn't mean in those sections with small turns the top guys aren't almost falling off the mountain in an effort to go faster.

And no matter how good you are or how much experience you have just ask Clint Vasholtz, he might as well have grown up on the road, still managed to roll his car one year, after many years of winning on the hill he did this........

A clean driver has nothign to be affraid of but thats not to say Travis won't be pushing hard enough that he should be a little concerned, especially since its going to have more tarmac this year making car set up even harder..........

edit for spelling

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>Yeha Mark Lovell hanging the front off of the car two years
>ago, not dangerous at all.....

Actually, it was Ramana, not Mark. I'm guessing if you ask Ramana, he would tell you what he did wrong to end up where he did.

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sure like every road on Pikes Peak you can have incidents. But since you said that Travis might be a bit intimidated by the road, all I am saying that he will have seen bit worse before he runs Pikes.

To people that run dirt tracks, or just plain drive on freeways will definitely get the crap scared out of them when they 1st come to the hill. But an experienced rallyist will be unphased for the most part.

-george

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Apparently, you have not been to the Mount Washington hillclimb. Pikes Peak is a 6 lane superhighway in comparison. Mount Washington may not have the altitude but the roads are so narrow you have to pull over to let opposite direction traffic pass. It is frightening just to take a leasurely drive. Additionally there are some serious straight down negative G drops, which I don't recall seeing anything like that at PP.

I highly doubt Travis will even bat an eye at Pikes Peak. Given what he does for a living, it is quite obvious he has a very high tolerance for fear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts