Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L.Hansen's Forwarding and CP Rail have confirmed the renewal of the rally-train for 2006, and have extended it to include pick-up and drop-off in Montreal, as well as Toronto and Calgary.

Because of the rail sechedules, if you want to make use of this for Perce Neige, you MUST call Terry at the CARS office immediately (905 640 6444), to make the arrangements, and the rigs should be loading in Calgary this Thursday (January 19). I realize this is extremely short notice, so please pass this on to anyone in the west who is considering going to Perce Neige.

Full details for the rest of 2006 will be out soon.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
excellent, cant wait for the full details, specifically info re: to and from toronto...

definately a good incentive for those interested in running the full CRC

open question...

how do you guys solve the problem of getting yer rally car from the train station to the event, without driving yer tow vehicle across the country to pick it up?

clearly the easiest answer is to ship the entire rig as a unit... but thats 4 spaces (600), plus the cost of driving yerself and crew as well in another car...

surely theres another way?

if not, it seems like this may only save the hassle of the actual towing across the country itself, not $$$

please reply

A
W

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>excellent, cant wait for the full details, specifically info
>re: to and from toronto...
>
>definately a good incentive for those interested in running
>the full CRC
>
>open question...
>
>how do you guys solve the problem of getting yer rally car
>from the train station to the event, without driving yer tow
>vehicle across the country to pick it up?
>
>clearly the easiest answer is to ship the entire rig as a
>unit... but thats 4 spaces (600), plus the cost of driving
>yerself and crew as well in another car...
>
>surely theres another way?
>
>if not, it seems like this may only save the hassle of the
>actual towing across the country itself, not $$$
>
>please reply
>
>A
>W
>

Ship the entire rig (if it meets the size limits) - $600 up front, $200 back = net $400. Fly out to meet it. Rent a car for extra transport if necessary.

We did Rocky this way 2 years ago. The three of us flew out to meet the car (at the time Jetsgo had a promotion on, so it was under $250 each for the round trip). It saved 2 days of towing each way, plus the gas and food. Note that the admin fee was a bit cheaper then (possibly a lot cheaper - IIRC a spot was a round trip).

Calgary is around 7000km round trip from Toronto. In a tow rig you are probably looking at $1400 in gas (assuming 5 km/l and $1.00/l), 2 days each way of additional vacation, and two border crossings in each direction*. Thats $1000 above the cost of shipping it by train, which may come close to paying for the flights for 2 competitors and one crew. If there is enough space in the tow rig for all three, the economics are pretty good. The only reason we got a rental car is that we didn't have room in the tow rig for all of us.

Adrian

*You can leave out the border crossings, but it will probably take longer.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Rallying on a budget

Rumor was Zimmer stows himself away in the trunk of his rallycar for the train rides to save airfare.
I didn't believe it until I saw a week's worth of potatochip crumbs in there. It would explain why he can't stand up straight at western events and the trunk-hair.

http://www.morgansegal.com/zimmer.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
RE: Rallying on a budget

> It would explain why he can't stand up
>straight at western events and the trunk-hair.

>http://www.morgansegal.com/zimmer.jpg

True enough..

Except that I don't think you can blame Randy's hair there on the west.

That looks a lot like 'Ocean' in the background, and not the foothils of Alberta.

More specifially, it looks like the Baie de Chaleur!

Frank de Kat

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>Except that I don't think you can blame Randy's hair there on
>the west.
>
>That looks a lot like 'Ocean' in the background, and not the
>foothils of Alberta.

He rides the train in the trunk on the return trip too.

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts

>That picutre is a classic in North American Rallying! My
>sources say that Randy was the inspiration for one of the
>characters in the children's book, "Where the Wild Things
>Are!" ;-)
>
>Cheers! John

Where the wild things are...
or
Inspiration to Nick Nolte for his mugshot :)

http://rightwingstuff.net/noltemug.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts