1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Problem Child
23 Posts
Got a question about the finish timing. Im sure it can wait till we meet up, but im trying to get the wife up to speed since shes never done this before (moral support at service). Ive used the timewise set up with the laser trip. With the nook, if we are doing flying finish, are we going to be sitting at the line clocking when they cross (marker volunteer?) or is the nook just for entering times and FF still uses the laser trip/handheld setup?

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The protocol certainly varies from rally to rally, but what we'll be doing is:

The person at the flying finish sign has a FRS radio. So does the person at the STOP sign. The Nook is at the stop sign.

As the car approaches, flying finish keys up the mic and says "....ready... set... MARK" at which point the person at the STOP taps the button.

And that's it.

Secondarily, we generally issue two Nooks to the finish crew so there's a backup. The backup is usually used by the person at the flying finish as a secondary, emergency record. :)

We don't use lasers... for rally in the US, the precision isn't needed. Tenths have never determined who's won a rally in the country. So less equipment to haul around with sharks with lasers on their heads. ;)

Anders

·
Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!!
1,818 Posts
... for rally in the US, the precision isn't needed. Tenths have never determined who's won a rally in the country.
Generally yes, tenths are normally not a deciding factor. But never say never. Tenths have decided rallies before. COG 2005 Pat Richard won by 0.4 seconds over Stig. Super cool event to be at.

Also I remember one year being at Maine where Dedo lost the rally due to being late at MTC In on Saturday. He dropped from 1st to 5th with I think a 10 second penalty. It was a super close rally. I remember ACP loosing 3rd place to Iorio by 0.1 seconds and I think Travis got 2nd by 2 seconds or something. Another exciting event.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll stick with never. :)

Take the tenths off all the stage scores, redo the math, and tell me if the winner changed.

We sure did use to have some awesomely close racing though, didn't we? :D

Anders

·
Problem Child
23 Posts
The person at the flying finish sign has a FRS radio. So does the person at the STOP sign. The Nook is at the stop sign.

As the car approaches, flying finish keys up the mic and says "....ready... set... MARK" at which point the person at the STOP taps the button.

And that's it.
ok, cool. too bad cant sync the two nooks, so when FF hits it, time will show up on Stop's.

as for the laser, last OTR i worked, the laser wouldnt. so we had to sit right at the FF sign and hit the button on the clock. if we hauled around the sharks, i dont think we'd have to worry about whats for lunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts