Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two times Dakar winner Fabrizio Meoni died.

Eurosport and Dakar sites are reporting that he suffered a heart attack after a serious crash.

Meoni has started the day's stage 11 in second overall, 9 minutes behind Cyril Despres, They were both riding together early in the special. Shortly after refuelling, Meoni suffered a serious crash. David Frétigné who witnessed the accident, launched the Italians distress signal. A medical helicopter sent on site made it on the scene of the crash at 10h36 finding Meoni in a situation of heart failure. After 45minutes of treatment, the efforts appeared to be vain. The hour of death was pronounced at 11h11 GMT.

Meoni, a two times winner of Dakar has said that he was going to retire after Dakar 2005.

Tribute to Meoni:

[http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s239/playermultimedia_lng0_rub9_spo239_ven18993.shtml]

Select your player

M.Samli

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Deeply saddening. Very regrettably, the sport has lost two riders - Jose-Manuel Perez and Fabrizio Meoni in this year's Dakar, and also lost Richard Sainct fairly recently in September 2004 in the Pharoah's Rally.

It is extremely unfortunate that the things that make rally raid events such a great challenge and adventure also make them highly dangerous. This is especially so for bikers, and unfortunately with so many hours and miles logged on events like these, crashing is often not a matter of if, but when and how. Thankfully most competitors escape relatively unharmed. It is deeply unfortunate that occasionally the sport loses some truly great charismatic individuals.

Adieu et Bonne Chance.

=============================================================================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
>Meoni was a warrior.

I'll say, I followed that guy on TV a few years ago during the Dakar, simpley an awesome human being. As far as I'm concerned he's up there with the Lance Armstrong types.

RIP

Peter

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Sad indeed.

Question.

Was the accident a result of a heart attack or was the heart attack the result of the accident?

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete, I really don't know.
I had an opportunity to watch part of the post accident footage on Eurosport and listened to the comments of the witnesses, it seems like he hit a bunch of camelgrass at very high speed, the bike seemed to be kinda OK but unfortunately there was way too much blood all around him, it didn't look right. Seems like it was an accident, he was only 47 and was extremely fit. I know the pre race medical check of Dakar, if they had the slightest doubt about his health, they wouldn't have started him, therefore I am more inclined to think that it was the accident that caused the heart failure.

Very sad indeed, he was a true warrior, he tried to continue with a broken wrist once.

RIP

M.Samli

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>therefore I am more inclined to think that
>it was the accident that caused the heart failure.

As am I. The medical response time seems to have been about 21 minutes (from the timings given in the press releases), so I'd guess that the heart failure was a side effect blood loss or other trauma.

It is very sad. Unfortunately, this is a risk that all the rally raid competitors take.

Adrian

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could also have been pneumothorax/cardiac tamponnade. Chest cavity fills with blood and puts pressure on heart, heart can contract fine but when it relaxes the pressure keeps it from refilling with blood for next contraction.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Thank you Mustafa and Rob for your comments, observations and insight. Much appreciated.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts