Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone describe to me the stipulations of toyotas exclusion from the wrc. i understand it had something to do with the intake restrictor.
I was wondering if they were kicked out for a set period of time or what, i havent been able to figure that out.
If anyone knows what the story is, let 'er rip.

t.i.a.
-colin street
http://www.colinstreet.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
They had a movable restrictor. When at rest the restrictor looked to be in the right place, but when on stage would allow more air into the engine. They went from having a car that didn't have as much power as the Scoobies and Misterbitchies to have a ton more power and speed. Then their lovely restrictors were date stamped with a date that was after the rule change which is what resulted in the exclusions. They lost all their points for the 95 season and were excluded from the 96 season. In 97 they were allowed back in WRC with the Corolla WRCar.
Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Here is my breif shot at it...

Toyota was excluded for using a restrictor that would ratchet open under throttle, allowing increased airflow.. It was not detected by inspectors because when not under throttle it would ratchet closed..

I belive they were caught after people became suspicous, as they had extreme straight line speed.

Im pretty sure they were only kicked out for 99

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
From what I heard, it was a pretty trick part. The restrictor was mechanical, and when the hose clamp was tightened over it, extra ports would open up and allow more air in. Remove the clamp (for inpsection), and the ports would close. If you look in the FIA rules, they now specify a inner and OUTER diameter. Apparently the Toyota restricter had a relatively large OD to hide all the trickery. I'm not sure if technically the part was illegal. Afterall, when measured according the rules, it was on spec. It was certainly against the spirit though, and the team knew it. Rumor has it they never even told the drivers. The drivers got in and the car was immediately quite a few seconds per stage faster. They asked the crew and were told to not ask, just drive. When the Celica went from dog on tarmac to a stage winner in only one race, the FIA knew something was up.

I think one of the guys from TAD Motorsports worked for TTE either during the fiasco, or shortly afterward.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Ben Bradley (who's always on top of everything) raised that question to Nicky Grist in his interview in the Features section of Special Stage:

BB: You were part of Toyota Team Europe when the squad was excluded from the World Championship in the 1995 season. Did that catch you by surprise? What was your reaction to that?

NG: It did a little. On the event itself... People never believe me, but this is the absolute truth. All of a sudden we were very competitive on tarmac. I'd sat with Juha for quite some time, and on tarmac he always lacked a little bit of confidence. I had to get him to change his driving style just a little bit, and he started to pick up on times, and it started to get better. Then we turned up at Catalunya, and we set off on this rally, and things seemed to go well, very well. We ended up actually leading the rally, which everyone was surprised at, even ourselves. Of course we could feel a difference in the engine, and we asked the engine guys, "What's new with the engine? It is fantastic!" They said, "Oh, it's a new evolution." It really did feel good. But you would never actually know what was going on in the engine department, it was out of bounds to the majority of the team. The chief engineer at that time was Dieter Bulling. At the end of the first leg, they serviced the car on the sea front at Lloret-de-Mar, where they changed a lot of parts, including the turbo. What I didn't know was that the FIA scrutineers had actually taken the turbo away to inspect it again; they had already been inspected before the start of the rally to check the size of the restrictor and so on. The next morning Dieter Bulling looked extremely worried. Talk about chain smoking, I think the next cigarette was lit before the other was finished. I said, "Are you OK?" He said, "Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine." But later that day we crashed out, and at the end of that leg, Didier Auriol was excluded, and then of course everything came out. It was a bit of a shock, I have to say. At that time it was a major issue for the FIA, and Toyota Team Europe paid the price as well, losing all their Manufacturer points (as well as our own), and were also banned from competing the following year.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any TTE revival or replacement in the works for the WRC?
Just curious about toyotas future.
And what are the prospects for other manufacturers who are currently not competing, i hear MG is getting things lined up.
Would it be unreasonable to think that Daimler-Chrysler or GM have the capacity to compete?

-colin street
http://www.colinstreet.com

·
Registered
789 Posts
Toyota is committed to Formula 1--which is why they dropped out of the WRC.

I think GM should get involved (either an Opel or Vaxhaul), but I hear no rumours.

With Audi toning down its LeMans presence, you would think they might have thoughts of WRC-- those TT's would look good in rally trim.

Forget MG. F-1 also has BMW wrapped-up.
Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
>Is there any TTE revival or replacement in the works for the
>WRC?
>Just curious about toyotas future.

>-colin street
>http://www.colinstreet.com

It's funny you should ask that because I was wondering the same thing myself just a few weeks ago. And in my searches I came across this interesting article. It isn't a factory effort, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

Click the link---> http://www.wrc-online.net/default.asp?sid=0&pid=2&stid=1541

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts