Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's awesome that Leon got his car back!
I'll be very interested in the story of how he actually reclaimed the whole kit-n'-kaboodle. (minus some body panels....)
Amazing that some of the really high-dollar items were still on the car. (engine, suspension, turbo, FMIC, etc)

So, what are the do's and dont's of keeping your car & trailer as safe as reasonably possible?
(enough security to persuade a would-be thief to look elsewhere)

I've seen a Master Lock set that includes receiver and coupler locks:
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/class_search.pl?class_id=CA_TS_07

Leaving the car/trailer attached to the tow vehicle adds the risk that the tow vehicle will be stolen as well.
(I've heard multiple recounts of tow-vehicles with attached trailer containing multiple custom Harleys stolen from Fla bike weeks)

If you've had a car/trailer stolen, how? What would you do differently next-time?
Anyone have experience with these or other items?

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Having been in the auto security business for 15 years and currently working for the engineering company that designed the LoJack system there are a few things I could suggest.

1- If they want it bad enough they'll take it. If you have an alarm they can just use a long drill bit and drain the battery, presto - no alarm. Then they just tow it away. If you can park other vehicles in front/behind to block it will delay them and make things harder. Harder is good, it slows them down and increases the risk of being seen.
2- Systems like LoJack are great if you are in an area that supports the system. Eventually though, the vehicle could pass through an area with LoJack support & the system will be triggered. (BTW, LoJacks have a backup battery.)
3- Sometimes simple things can be useful, like removing the wheels from the trailer or putting several HEAVY chains between the wheels. Keep in mind that chains and locks can be cut.
4- Tow hitch locks are better than nothing but what keeps them from just removing the nut on the bottom of the ball? I know the nut is tight but still, how tough is that?
5- Don't advertise what is in your trailer! I know the sponsors like it but why tempt someone? Same for your tow vehicle, I know that we're proud of our racing stickers but they have a temptation factor as well. (Ever see a liquor or cigarette delivery truck; blank sides.)
The above just scratches the surface. Use your common sense; think about how you could get around your precautions.
Jim Blumenfeld

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Clearly, if you're going to have an alarm, it needs its own battery and charging system...on the trailer would be a good bet, since it's harder for the thieves to know where the battery is located.

My other thought is to locate something truly loud and obnoxious for the alarm...not like the wimpy car alarms that everybody largely ignores. Something that will wake people up and make them look. Of course, you ARE going to set it off yourself occasionally...

Bruce

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Nice Kitty.

Bruce wrote:
"something truly loud and obnoxious for the alarm...not like the wimpy car alarms that everybody largely ignores. Something that will wake people up and make them look. Of course, you ARE going to set it off yourself occasionally..."

You mean one of these?
http://www.udap.com/images/dog mean 2.jpg

Its not on what is on the outside of your trailer, its what you keep inside or chained to it that bites.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>
>So, what are the do's and dont's of keeping your car & trailer
>as safe as reasonably possible?
>(enough security to persuade a would-be thief to look
>elsewhere)
>

Leave the sides of the truck and trailer blank, instead of advertising the contents....or use "Bill's Septic Service" and "Caution, E-coli bacteria, keep back".

I always chained or cabled the wheels together on one side when parked un-attended, not impossible to defeat, but may make it look less attractive to a thief.

·
Registered
434 Posts
>>
>>So, what are the do's and dont's of keeping your car &
>trailer
>>as safe as reasonably possible?
>>(enough security to persuade a would-be thief to look
>>elsewhere)
>>
>
>Leave the sides of the truck and trailer blank, instead of
>advertising the contents....or use "Bill's Septic Service" and
>"Caution, E-coli bacteria, keep back".
>
>I always chained or cabled the wheels together on one side
>when parked un-attended, not impossible to defeat, but may
>make it look less attractive to a thief.

The chain is a decent deterrant at least. A couple of guys attempted to steal my trailer while I was in NC, the noise from them moving it around prompted by brother and I to say hello ;-)
Never saw two greasebags vacate a parking lot quicker than that. If it wasn't for the chain and possibly the lock on the hitch I would have been shopping for a new trailer.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Nice Kitty.

>I think my mom has one of those, they're palmaranians,
>right?

Yikes! Actually, I think those are called mother-in-laws.}(

For tow vehicles and race cars, no one has mentioned disabling them by simple remote hidden fuel or electrical cut-off switches or removing the ignition coil wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts