Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting article I found over on Slashdot.org about a Toyota Prius which entered, and completed, the Midnight Sun to Red Sea Rally.

http://irishcar.com/toypriusrally.htm

There's a couple of good pictures. It almost looks like the car is going fast. :)

Ethan

[a href="http://www.saabworks.com/"]Team Saabworks[/a]
Boston, MA

·
Registered
436 Posts
The light weight and good torque of a hybrid or electric vehicle
could make for a good rally car. Would an electric vehicle make
it through a leg of Rim-of-the-World?

Patrick

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea except everything in Europe is faster than in USA - I mean that Prius is running on European electricity - Not American - No the USA model is much slower - just like the Focus.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Our electricity is faster than theirs since we run at 60 cycles per second while the run at only 50. Of course, our residential models run with lower voltage at 120 volts single phase while theirs is 220 volts. But our industrial electricity is 277V which explains why there are no European pickups.
Richard
:+

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know much about the prius, but I do know a little about electricity. The Prius runs on DC anyways so the type of electricity that goes into it doesn't matter. 0-60 times are the same here and in Europe, according to Automese vs Motortrend.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
"Andy, meet Facetiousness." "Facetiousness, this is Andy."

The boys above were just joking around. They were making an analogy to the fact that octane ratings in Europe are often higher than here. They don't actually think that the European Prius is faster, nor that it runs on AC.

BTW, European gasoline is usually no higher octane than here -- it's rather that they use the RON measurement, and we use (RON+MON)/2.

Cheers,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver
Timefactors.com Rally Team
Gingras Rally Sport (SCCA)
Musketeer Racing (CARS)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts