Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- I'm not complaining, or saying it's wrong or anything...just wondering why fast, top 6 National guys Dennis Martin and Mike Hurst are running for the Club honors?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dennis did not compete in the CRNC, but probably should.

Mike has not ever run the National Series (has he?)

And you did not identify Steve Gingras who has run the national series.

What it comes down to is that it is going to be a a very long time before the top US talent is all well sponsored and can afford to run the national series. When this happens it may leave the club rallies and the CRNC to either independent/smaller budget teams or the next set of national competitors.

I guess the publicity machine is working: if your among the top finishers in a ProRally, you must be a Pro, and therefore should not compete at a club level.

Reality is and has been, most of our best competitors have the talent but not the funding to compete at a national level. For these competitors the best place for them to demonstrate their art is at a club level where they can afford in time and dollars to travel reasonable distances and win regional championships.

When you beat these top club guys your are ready for the national championship.

Hope this answers the question,
Mike

·
Registered
868 Posts
You don't have to be slow to be a club rally guy. Being a club rally guy is all about the right attitude and Mike Hurst has it!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
These are Seed 3 drivers; exactly the people the CRNC was created for. I'd like to see more drivers at this level competing for the Club Rally crown.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
I used to think the same way, why are pro's running club, until someone (Bill from TAD) enlightened me.
Pro or Club, they (we) are all rally driver's (co-driver's).
CRNC (or any other) is a rally. Why shouldn't they?

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
120 stage miles on incredible roads within 12 hours of Wisconsin for under $500 entry fee (which incidentally was covered by the codriver, thanks Alan). Nuff said.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Topi ?

Other than 1) the decal package on the car, and 2) which SCCA competition license we buy, would you please explain the difference between a National and a Club guy?

press on,

·
Registered
724 Posts
RE: Read the Rulebook

Personally I feel that there should not be a club and pro designation just pro and clud rallys. At rim we run the same roads thus hsould be a pro rally and thus everyone i a pro, at Gorman it is a club rally and thus everyone thre is driving club. Just a thought maybe somethign for an event like rim where they have run a dual with them changine that? Just a thought.

·
Registered
397 Posts
RE: Topi ?

>Other than 1) the decal package on the car, and 2) which
>SCCA competition license we buy, would you please explain
>the difference between a National and a Club guy?
>
>press on,

Well them "Pro" fellers have to spend a lot more dough to impress uh....Yeah---All those sponsers who are lining up just a clamoring to hand all them "Pro" fellers large wads of hundred dollar bills. Yes, that is it. Quite certain.
Maybe them "Pro" types get a prettier trophy girl then us club guys get. Now that I think of it, that is very likely the case as John Forespring (he often hands out awards here in the Northwest) just isn't getting a lot prettier as the years roll on. No offense to you John. :p

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

- Dennis Martin still seed 3 ??? Wow, that's something...

1. The fastest American at Snow Drift (behing a Canadian and two Irishmen)
2. Went nect-to-neck with the winner (Pat Richard), never more than few secs slower and even had one tied stage time

- And Mike Hurst had finished his T-bone before the second place car arrived... he's as good as Doug Shephard.

PS. Are fibreclass cars legal again? I hope so.... That second place car's An American Icon - Corvette!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

That's how he's listed following LSPR(the most recent I could find without getting anal about it). There's no doubt that Dennis has progressed quickly and has a pretty good ride these days(he also won CFR, quite easily). Could be a Pro Rally Championship contender in another year, if he chooses to contend the series(may already be doing so).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- Mr Martin didn't compete?
SCCA think he was:
--------------------------------------------------------
Martin Leads Opening Day of SCCA ClubRally Championship
Written by: Curtis Kitchen
Ellington, Mo. ? 2/21/2004
With only six stages scheduled to make up the 2004 edition of the Trespassers Wil rally, competitors serious about winning the first day of the 2004 SCCA ClubRally Championship had to get out fast early.

Dennis Martin, of Green Bay, Wis., and co-driver Alan Perry, of Bainbridge Island, Wash., started first on the road Friday and then did one better than that as Martin earned his first event win of his career.

Turning in top stage times on four out of five stages and overcoming a long delay which resulted in a dropped Special Stage Four, the duo leaped to the front of the 32-car field in Martin?s 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV to earn the Trespassers Wil victory.

Steve Gingras, of Elk River, Minn., and co-driver Bill Westrick, of Royal Oak, Mich., in a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX, wound up runners-up 21 seconds behind, while Piotr Wiktorczyk, of Chicago, Ill. (who posted the other fast stage time of the day), and co-driver Mark McAllister, of Woodside, N.Y., in a 2000 Subaru Impreza WRX, finished third.

Trespassers Wil was delayed at the start of SS4 for about two hours as medical crews were summoned to a car off at the back of the field about six-tenths of a mile into SS2. Both competitors in car no. 372 (driver Sean Otto and co-driver Daniel Nichols, both from California) suffered injuries and were taken by helicopter first to a local hospital in Ellington and then on to St. Louis for observation. At last report, both were expected to be OK.

After the rally was cleared to continue, rally officials decided to throw out SS4, turning the 10.95-mile stage into a transit so teams could get back to service.

The Trespassers Wil victory means Martin and Perry (who have never rallied together before) are halfway to claiming the overall 2004 SCCA ClubRally Championship with only Saturday?s 100 Acre Wood rally left in their path.
---------------------------------------------------------
- Looks like the Club Run-Offs were a bigger mess I thought..... if SCCA's own press guy doesn't know what's going on how can sponsors, spectators and so on?

1. Shouldn't ONLY qualified drivers compete there? Insn't it by "Invitation Only"?
2. It's so unfair for those, like real champion Gingras, to be stolen "The Glory and Fame" by some super fast Pro guys. The Club Run-Offs should be the high light for club rallyist. Period.

- To have some fast Pro to drive "0" car/cars would be good. People like Dennis Martin should get free entry, motel and meals, and drive course opening car without being scored.

- Maybe those who get paid to mend the store should do their job and not play.....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Oops! Sorry. You know how it is. I certainly don't mean to take anything away from your performance. The memory is the second thing to go. I forgot what the first is. At any rate, he was leading when he fell out of the rally.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I believe that only 19 or so "invited" people ran the Trespassers Wil/100 AW event as the CRNC.

So if you have to be invited, I doubt the event would even occur due to lack of entries.

You are allowed to run the Tres. Pass and 100AW events, scored separately as 2 club rallies.

The CRNC is a combination of the two.

Not defending it, just saying how it is.

Brian

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The press release is in error. Dennis entered and competed in two separate Club Rallies held in conjunction with the CRNC. Sort of like a combined Pro/Club Rally. Don't blame Mr. Martin for playing by the rules.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts