Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this note from John Buffum this morning:

Hi all,

One day we knew it would happen - but somehow we hoped against hope that it was still some time in the future. Tom passed away quietly in the early hours of June 26.

We all knew him and had many good times listening to his wealth of information and especally his jokes. His "fire-side chats" at the Tyee were unforgettable. We'll all have our own stories and I'm sure we'll all now cherish them more.

Ralph Beckman, who knew him well even before I did, and I may put together a low key tribute to Tom at the MFR awards.

Since my e-mail address book is small, please pass this along to other friends of Tom - he certainly had many.

jb

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Grimmy

Tom, among many other things, taught me to never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Also, that rally is fun.

I'll bet he is weaving a tale right now after the big rally up there.

Godspeed.

press on,

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
RE: Grimmy

I will pass the word to his many friends here in the Dallas area where he lived for a while. In fact, Tom and John are the ones who got me involved in the sport a quarter of a century ago. And for that, I will always thank and blame him.
Richard

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts

I never laughed harder than when Grimmy did the monolog at the awards to the '98 Maine Summer Rally.
He truely always enjoyed himself.

Thank You Tom Grimshaw, and Godspeed.

Jeff Secor

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>I never laughed harder than when Grimmy did the monolog at
>the awards to the '98 Maine Summer Rally.

That is the same memory of him that I have (along with the authentic Grimmy cigarette burn on the dust cover of my copy of 'In Like a Lamb...")

One of the true characters of the sport - we'll miss him.

Adrian

·
Feeling like an "old timer."
581 Posts

>I'll bet he is weaving a tale right now after the big rally up
>there.

I can just imagine the conversation he's having with St. Peter right about now! :7

Rest, or maybe not, in Peace.

Matt Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts

On this forum, not many would know that Tom navigated many "Great Races" as well. My fondest memory is of Tom reposing in the shade alongside the road (smoking, of course)while his driver/owner sweats away on repairing some ancient classic car....quoth he "not in my contract!"

Then there's the Mexican 24 hour back in the 80's where he was "ordered" by his then significant other not to get in a car with Hendrik Blok again. Harry Ward and I drew straws as to who would co-drive for Hendrick. Harry lost. I ran service....along with Jon Nagle. So far, this year sucks.

I predict this thread will have 100 replies wihin 48 hours...all with tales of Tom....and that would be appropriate.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Grimmy tales ...

I thought I'd hold off until the tribute page the good folks at SS.COM have planned but in order to help Kim's 100 reply prognostication come true I think I'll add a few snippets:

- My first exposure to Thomas was being assigned marshal posts on a ranch near Denton, TX. at the first-ever Chisum Trail Rally. They split my first wife and I up to watch over two intersections but after just a few cars came by things got real quiet. Once Wanda and I were reunited I jumped into the Land Crusier and said, "I hear someone got a shotgun stuck in their face before the stage was cancelled" before noticing she'd been crying. x(

- When crewing for John Power and the Rallye Magazine Chevette at a later Chisum a toad strangler turned the clay roads near Broken Bow, Oklahoma into long quagmires so Grimo came and asked if I wanted to go pull some rally cars out of the ditches. On the way to find Bruno's Porsche Tom pointed at the Irish Setter snout resting on his shoulder and worriedly asked, "What's this?" I told him that was just Joshua and that he was sitting in the dog's traditional place in the FJ40, but I was sure it would be OK for him to stay there.

- It was always entertaining watching Tom snake his way in or out of the labrynth of tubing on his side of the Dick Turner Ford EXP - and then listen to his opinion of the required gyrations.

- His long conversation with a rather effeminate waiter (imagine a white guy with the same mannerisms as the part Damon Wayans played in Beverly Hills Cop) about "eating Kiwis" while half the San Francisco wharf establishment was filled with rally folk is probably the funniest I ever heard.

- He captioned a picture of himself in a 1976 Rallye Magazine article, "A SAAB Story" something like, 'Emerson Fittapalling grimaces while his twin pours Everclear into the crankcase.' (I'll tune up the quote when I get home and drag out my Rally Magazines.)

- "Suicide by Proxy" remains one of the great articles about codriving. "Take that, Macho man" was a truly wonderful column about lady rallyists. Anyone who hasn't read Tom's book about Buffum, "In Like A Lamb, Out Like A Lion" is missing THE best chronicle of America's early stage rally days.

These are just a few of the many Grimo stories I'm privileged to know. Tom was a great rallyist, codriver and friend.

Edit - Grammar

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
I remember one of the arkansas rallies that my co- driver (martin George) and Bruce Newey drove two of my cars in. I was glad I was servicing that weekend cause I stayed up all night listening to Grimshaw spin a few tails. I felt like I personally knew Hendrick Block after that night even though I have never met him.

Bon Voyage!
Chuck

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts
I only had one chance to meet Tom back in '98. He was one of my heroes, growing up and one of the reasons I started codriving. R.I.P. sir.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>I predict this thread will have 100 replies wihin 48
>hours...all with tales of Tom....and that would be
>appropriate.

Kim:

Appropriate indeed.

I only wish Tom had used his writing skills to pen an autobiography.

Do we have people like Tom and Gene Henderson in rallying today? Probably not. Which makes our sport all that much poorer.

Vicki. Nagel. Henderson. Grimshaw.

We are slowly loosing the best of our generation.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Dad

Hi All:

This is Caryn (Grimshaw) Gilliland, Tom's oldest daughter. I want to thank each of you for your warm, nice & funny comments. I enjoy reading them very much! They make me feel good.
My Dad is my hero & I sure am going to miss him. To steal someone's quote: "the world is going to be a lot less interesting without Tom Grimshaw in it".
Also, I have three of his scrapbooks covering all the rallies he's been on from 1960-1974. Lot's of his detailed writings on every rally in addition to articles, pictures, etc... If anyone knows if they would be of interest to a person or place let me know & I would consider loaning them out.

Thanks again,
Caryn

·
Registered
286 Posts
I remember the occasional conversation with Tom at LSP(O)R and Sunriser...the self-described rally wh*re was a master at holding an audience in the palm of his hand as he drew on his seemingly endless supply of rally stories.

The Brothers Grimshaw foray into journalism (Bogey Times) didn't last long, but its ensuing sale to Kerry Voll (and the transmogrification under her guidance into a 'respectable' slick magazine) got me started on a career of amateur journalism that lasted for well over ten years in both print and radio in several different disciplines. I remember asking Tom if he needed any correspondents...I wonder how different things would have been if I'd have had Tom for an editor...

I will never forget the posting on the wall off Dee Stadium, indicating the massive difference in mileage between a certain tube-framed Ford rally vehicle and its trailer...

There will be numerous cold ones hoisted in your memory, Tom...we shall not see your likes again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
>
>I will never forget the posting on the wall off Dee Stadium.

My crazy husband at the time, who loved my Dad very much, tried to sneak into Dee Stadium after hours via the roof to steal a rally flag & fell off! LOL! Emergency room & all. He was OK but could hardly walk or even smile for a week! Good times!!

Daughter Caryn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Tom for all your help in the early years. Some of your "sage wisdom" was probably tongue-in-cheek at my expense,but you always had a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face for this newcomer. Pat McMahon

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Dad

>
>press on...

...regardless!!! These are words I've heard all my life & live by to this day! "Press on Regardless" means more to me than ever right now.

Daughter Caryn
>

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
One of the truly great quotes I experienced in my life was at the awards ceremony to my first Pro Rally, the 1986 Ojibway (now spelled Ojibwe) Pro Rally. Buffum and Grimshaw had won the event in the Group B Sport Quattro. Tom got up to the mike and said, "I'd like to thank my mother for having me and my father for not pulling out." There was about five seconds of dead silence followed by absolute uproarious laughter.

Truly the sport has suffered yet another great loss. R.I.P., Tom.

Jerry

Edited for spelling

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
Spectating at the end of a stage on a Canadien rally (Lobster circa 1983?). "T" right into a sweeping left and down into the finish control.

Buffum and Grimshaw come into the "T" and just about come to a complete stop. It's not until the spectators start pointing that JB guns the Quattro and takes off.

So, later in the day I see JB and ask what the deal was. "Talk to Grimshaw" he grumbled. So I did.

Well, it turns out that JB had spotted a young lady flashing her goods in the middle of the stage and had commented "Titties" through the intercom.

Grimshaw immediately popped up and proclaimed "WHERE!"

"Back there on the log pile."

"Well go back, I want to see them too!"

"We're in the middle of a damned stage. I'm not going back."

"FINE!", throwing the route book on the floor, "I'm not giving you any more instructions until I see some titties."

They finished the stage with JB having to look to the spectators for directions.

Godspeed Tom - you will be greatly missed... And I hope the cat doesn't use your snacks as a litter box on the way this time.

Tim

1 - 20 of 51 Posts