Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with the removal of the Canadian Grand Prix because of the tobacco sponsorship ban, I'm betting that it also kills any lingering thought of Canada getting a WRC event, as well (if even there was any thought left). It's stupid because nobody in Canada (outside of rallyists) knows what a "555" is, anyway.

The problem could be easily resolved, if the TV broadcasters got involved. Ever watch NFL football games? They put advertising on the field, through the magic of the TV broadcast, that isn't actually on the field. It's the same "blue screen" technology that TV weathercasters use to show maps and forecasts.

Anyway, if it's illegal in Canada, then put blue rectangles on the cars and on the signs on the side of the road. Then, the broadcasters can "fill them in" for the broadcasts going to more liberal countries, and leave them blank in the other constipated countries.

Hey, Jean Chretien! Not "all Canadians" want your tobacco sponsorship ban. You're not my Prime Minister; you don't speak for me, never have.

Just my venting, random, rambling, grumbling thoughts on the topic.......

Dave
An otherwise proud Canadian

·
Registered
50 Posts
As an ex-smoker I've always found it silly that they aren't allowed to advertise a brand name. Seeing Players or Rothmans or Marlboro never made me want to light up again. Seeing old Clint Eastwood movies did for the first while but seeing someone smoking and seeing a brand name are VERY different things.

I'm all for keeping kids away from it and keeping truly public areas free of it but the ad crackdown has gone too far for a legal product, IMO.

Harry

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've written a bit on this subject, or rather Formula One and tobacco, in some of my political science undergrad courses, and also in my entertainment law class in law school. Relatively recent. If anyone is interested in reading them, email me directly and I can send you a copy in WordPerfect. They're kind of bland, academic papers, of course, but what better way, I thought, to get through said bland course than to write about motor racing? :)

Dave - I think I sent you a private message, but not sure if you got it? Not too familiar with the workings of some of these newer forum programs. Can you email me? I'm starting the build up of my Saab 99 and could use some informal tech inspection, if you can spare the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts