Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you racers find more comfortable - a 3-2a/5 multilayer suit or a 3-2a/1 suit with nomex undies?
I am in the market for a entry level suit (Cheap!) and would appreciate input.
Bryan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sparco makes very good suits , I have a Bell 2 layer suit and I wear the nomex undies. You will end up wearing a t-shirt underneath the suit anyway so you might as well wear something flame proof.
Now for the lecture - DO NOT GO CHEAP ON SAFETY GEAR , this stuff is designed to save your life!!!! Skip an event , run used tires , skip the trick motor parts whatever it takes. You know the old Bell commercial - got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. When you are upside down is not a good time to be saying "maybe I should have spent more on safety"
Also don't buy the cheap underwear , get the sparco stuff it is much cooler.

Tom

·
Registered
410 Posts
> Now for the lecture - DO NOT GO CHEAP ON SAFETY GEAR , this
>stuff is designed to save your life!!!! Skip an event , run
>used tires , skip the trick motor parts whatever it takes.

This is an honest question that I keep meaning to ask. Shouldn't all helmets bult to the SA2000 standard be equally safe (aside from being open face vs. full face) and suits built to the same standard should also be equally safe? For suits specifically if built to the same standard isn't the difference in styling and comfort rather than safety? In other words is a Bell Mag5 safer than a Bell Mag4 or a Pyrotect Mag4 equivalent? Similar question for suits. Please anyone give an example of a less safe suit and a more safe suit.

Matt Smith
www.fireantracing.com
Viva NASA Rallysport

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>This is an honest question that I keep meaning to ask.
>Shouldn't all helmets bult to the SA2000 standard be equally
>safe (aside from being open face vs. full face) and suits

All SA approved helmets meet the spec, but some may exceed it more than another. Another thing to look at is weight. My Peltor is much lighter than my Bell. That translates to more comfort and less fatigue, which means I can perform better. All less momentum in an impact. So just because because they all pass the snell smash test doesn't mean they are all the same.

On suits look for the TPP rating, which is basically how many seconds you sit in the fire before getting a certain degree of burns. Higher TPP means more fire protection. Again, now look at the weight. A high end Sparco and cheapie G-Force my offer the same TPP, but the Sparco will probably be much lighter, which means more comfort, less fatigue, etc.....

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>This is an honest question that I keep meaning to ask.
>>Shouldn't all helmets bult to the SA2000 standard be equally
>>safe (aside from being open face vs. full face) and suits
>
>All SA approved helmets meet the spec, but some may exceed
>it more than another.

Exactly, all a spec does is ensure things meet the 'minimum acceptable' level of safety. Many manufacturers go beyond that.

Adrian

·
Registered
926 Posts
We opted for the 3 layer G-Force GF505 suits. It is a well made (FP cotton mainly) and safe suit with a high TPP and when we bought was a lot less expensive than similar TPP rated suits from Sparco and so on. Since we only plan run a couple events a year and they tend to be in cool weather, the warmth of these suits is not a negative for us. We wear cotton shorts and T's under. I also hillclimb, mainly in the summer and wear this suit. It does get warm but a hillclimb run is short and I can partially undress at either end to cool down. If we ran more events or more warm weather events I would switch to a much lighter suit made from the Euro style Nomex and use nomex underwear in cool weather and nomex long johns / cool-shirt in warm. Some of the newer 1 and 2 layer SFI-5 suits seem to approach the SFI-1 models in terms of weight with a higher TPP than the typical SFI-1. Also I am seeing more ready made 1 and 2 layer SFI-5 suits using nomex at G-Force neighorbood prices, like the SF5 1 layer from Bell and a new model GF545 2 layer from G-Force... I think Sparco has one as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked up a GF545 prior to Tall Pines this fall. This is a SFI-3.2A/5 double-layer nomex suit. It breathed pretty well, wasn't bulky, and had a nice, non-scratchy lining.

I also bought the G-forces undershirt, long-johns, and nomex socks, as I figured Ontario might be a tad chilly in mid-November. In the summer, I probably wouldn't wear this, and I don't have to, since it's a SFI-5 suit.

I wore all of the above, didn't overheat, didn't feel clammy, and, at the end of the event, certainly wasn't thinking "I can't wait to get out of this suit."

So, overall, a good experience. I don't know how much safer/lighter/comfier I'd be in a Sparco, but this had a high rating and suited my budget.

$370 at RacerWholesale.com. Underwear was about $100 for all.

-jeff

·
Registered
356 Posts
I read somewhere, though, that the FIA specification is less severe than the Snell specification...

While I haven't looked at peltor's in a while, I seem to remember them being only FIA approved. Comparing the construction of peltors with Bell, Biefe, etc... I have to say that I am not impressed. Lightweight is good, but at what point are you sacrificing impact protection?

:eek:

>All SA approved helmets meet the spec, but some may exceed
>it more than another. Another thing to look at is weight.
>My Peltor is much lighter than my Bell. That translates to
>more comfort and less fatigue, which means I can perform
>better. All less momentum in an impact. So just because
>because they all pass the snell smash test doesn't mean they
>are all the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts