Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, there was plenty of discussion about tires at SnoDrift. Most teams chose Nokian Hakkapelliita or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Some ran them as they were, some had their tires tractionized.

What worked? What didn't?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That, my friend, is a closely guarded secret! Hence, no replies!
;)
All kidding aside every tire you mention had it's moment in the rally when it was the right tire. The conditions changed dramatically from moment to moment.

Clint

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>All kidding aside every tire you mention had it's moment in
>the rally when it was the right tire. The conditions changed
>dramatically from moment to moment.

Conversely, whatever tire you had on was wrong someplace :). I had Hakkas on my Cherokee running 000...I was not attempting to go fast, but was still caught out occasionally when the surface changed. I think the Hakkas were a good compromise...not optimal on gravel, but would save your butt in a suddenly icy corner. Sometimes the race is not to the swift...

Bruce

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
I was on blizzak ws-50's. I borrowed them from a friend for the event. They seemed good, even though I was slow. I think I would have still been slow if I had spikes :*

·
Registered
26 Posts
We ran the same ws-50's we had on last year and never changed a tire. I was hoping to try out the new Revo's from the same company, but it was never cold enough in my opinion. The ws-50's seemed to be a good compromise tire with the icy shadowed corners leading into 4 inches of slush in the sun; aaand it was our only other option. The guys who chose ice specific, or tractionized tires, were hurting in the soft stuff and the really gapped (yokahama's?) snow tires were probably pretty frustrating in the shadows and slippery breaking zones. Fortunately, we didn't have either of those to choose from.

Solid decision making through lack of option...;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts