Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering running the 2003 or '04 Thunderbird rally in my 1988 Celica Alltrac. I haven't made any plans yet, so I guess it's probably too late for this year's race, but I'd like to see if I can get my act together nonetheless.

For those of you who have run it, I'm looking for some help...
How long did it take you to prepare?
What'd you do with your car / tyres / spares?
How much did it cost you?

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Never say it's too late. This is one of the best winter TSD events you'll come across. Great challanging roads and beautiful scenery.

Preparation in priorities:
1- Mail your entry form with payment. If your plans fall through your check will not be cashed (check with registrar first).
2- Reserve your rooms.
3- Set of studded snow tires or studless ice tires and a full size spare.
4- Interior navigator light.
5- Auxiliary lights (recommended but not essential).
6- Skid plate (recommended but not essential).
7- Navigator who doesn't get car sick.
8- Read the BC TSD regulations at www.rallybc.com. Your car will be "teched" (inspected).
9- Warm clothes.
10- Wear a smile and have fun

R. Lima

·
Registered
34 Posts
>Preparation in priorities:
>...
>7- Navigator who doesn't get car sick.

Now, Roy, that hasn't stopped you in the past!

As for entering, I would highly recommend getting all of the entry/hotel stuff booked ASAP - I suspect that T-Bird will be over-subscribed (limit of 75 entrants). Phones were ringing off the hook at the hotels one week ago!

As for the car - I've navvied a stage-prepped All-trac and only remember to be concious of making sure we checked the oil at every gas stop (max distance = 250 km - hopefully a tank's worth!) and having shovels (2 or more) and a tow-rope. All-tracs are REALLY heavy cars!

Hope to see you there!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> Auxiliary lights (recommended but not essential).

I would say they are almost essential, it is pretty damned dark in Canada!

And I'd add another item: shovels or (like me) a hoe for digging out of snow banks; I've had years of practice now.

"The navigator will have to do more than push."

Glenn

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help so far.

This might be a somewhat ridiculous question, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with snow. With the Alltrac (or any other car) is it a good idea to disconnect the ABS for a TSD rally? If so, do you have any idea how to do so?

Thanks again,
Andy

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It depends on the ABS system and the tires you use.

I tend to run with it connected (WRX+studded Hakka 1's). It serves as a good "early warning system" of impending traction issues.

Very seldom does it kick in on snow.

Glenn

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
With that, have you found (is this normal) that once the ABS has started you have to come off the brakes to get 'off' the ABS?
My WRX is my first car with ABS and I'm still learning about it.

Keith Morison

·
Registered
116 Posts
Andy,

The ABS on my car doesn't come on that often.
I left-foot-brake a lot in TSD stage sections, especially winter events. For my style of driving it works very well with great predictability. Of course this is something you will have to practice somewhat with. An empty snow covered lot is the best.

The All-Trac is a very heavy car. In lieu of a shovel I would request to be placed towards the back of the field, that way you won't have to wait as long for the sweep truck. ;)

I don't know where or if you can temporarily disable your ABS, but I'd recommend you leave it on, especially if you're not used to snow conditions. In your case the ABS system will react better than your foot alone.

Don't let the possibility of getting stuck in a snow bank prevent you from enjoying yourself. Most, if not all of us have been there.
Call it a "Winter TSD Baptism".

R. Lima
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo AWD

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> In lieu of a shovel I would request to be placed towards the back of the field, that way you won't have to wait as long for the sweep truck.

Yes, thanks Roy, errm watching 60 cars go by and then needing 3 different sweep trucks to try and pull you out is no fun....

> With that, have you found (is this normal) that once the ABS has started you have to come off the brakes to get 'off' the ABS?
My WRX is my first car with ABS and I'm still learning about it.

In deep snow that can certainly be a reaction that might feel like a good move (though there may be no difference with ABS off!) but the WRX has a longitudonal G sensor that should prevent it getting confused with all four wheels locked but still sliding forward.

That said, the less suited your tires are for the conditions the more trouble ABS has doing the "right thing".

If you have VERY good snow tires (e.g. Hakka 1 or 10 mit studs) then I'd leave it connected.

In practice being able to stop is usually a little less of a concern than staying heading the right direction. The soft snow at the edge of the road will suck you in and no amount of power*, steering and braking will help, unless you are fortunate (?) enough to hit a solid object which bounces you out onto the road....

Glenn

PS well alright sometimes you can row down through the gears a bit and pull out but it is certainly not something you want to do every few miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts