Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I don't know how many Canadians read that forum, so I'll ask here, and as a relatively ignorant American: why was the recent Québec election even called?

I'm not interested in the politics, or provoking a debate on federalism v. separatism; I'm just curious about the mechanics of the dissolution which presumably preceded this election. Had PQ recently lost its majority in the (Québec) legislature? Was there a no-confidence vote, or similar leadership challenge?

Isaac Taylor
Cambridge, Massachusetts

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>
>...but I don't know how many Canadians read that forum, so
>I'll ask here, and as a relatively ignorant American: why
>was the recent Québec election even called?
>
>I'm not interested in the politics, or provoking a debate on
>federalism v. separatism; I'm just curious about the
>mechanics of the dissolution which presumably preceded this
>election. Had PQ recently lost its majority in the (Québec)
>legislature? Was there a no-confidence vote, or similar
>leadership challenge?

There is a time limit to how long a (provincial or federal) government can stay in power without calling an election to renew their mandate. Typically governments will call an election near the end of that period, but at a time they think they will be relatively secure in being re-elected. There are other mechanisms for forcing an election, but they typically don't apply to majority governments.

Adrian

·
Registered
315 Posts
To add to what Adrian said, there is no fixed election date like in the USA. Governments can call an election whenever they choose, by asking the Governor-General (for a federal election) or the Lieutenant-Governor (in a provincial election) to dissolve parliament, and call for new elections.

I think governments can go a maximum of 5 years between elections, and in Quebec, the Parti Québecois was nearing the end of its five-year mandate, so it had to call an election at some point this year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
NoooOOOOOOOOooooo
dont mix rally and politic....specialy bad political choise....it was painfull enough last nigth :( :( :( :( :( :(

i guess the wind change after the debate...i still dont undertsand...but hey?...thats democratie...will see in 4 years how thing are...i hope they do...make a good job. its not becose i did not vote for them that i hope they screw up ....just so i can say " i told you....."

aaarrrgg...seee...see.... what youv done...you did it ! i started to talk politic on a rally forum...what a shame...:( x(

its soo....not worthed ..to argu and figth about our political choise....there is much more importent things to talk about in rally....;)

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Alain! du calme!
Issac wrote "maybe this should be in off topic, but he doesn't know how many of you canajians read that forum.

Most Americans are not clear on the details of Parlementary systems.

And you know, many down here are baffled how we got this President who got less than half the votes in a election which had just around 50per cent of the elegible voters participating.
50% of 50% is only 25% who voted for the guy.

And the only connection I can see to rally is seen over on the question about if you will have a Group5, then you can see if the idea of democracy works better up in Canadian motorsport than it does in the US.
And if the idea of calling votes of confidence could be initiated for our SCCA Pro Rally Department employees.

OK, pas plus de politiques ici!

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
213 Posts
Considering that Bush didn't even get as many votes as Gore did in the last election, you can say that Bush didn't even get 50% of those people who DID vote!!

One of the late night hosts (Letterman?? I'm not sure) was joking a few weeks ago that, to Bush, it didn't matter to him that he got the approval of the UN to destroy Iraq because, after all, he didn't even get the approval of the USA to destroy the USA!!!!

I would like to say that the Canadian Parliamentary system is so much better, but the Prime Minister can also be elected by less than 50% of the voters here, too. It's just as screwed up as your system of Electoral Votes.

About the only difference is that you have separate elections for President and Congress. Here, our Parliament (rough equivalent of Congress, where members are elected by geographic regions) Election determines our Prime Minister. The Prime Minister is a regular Member of Parliament, who gets elected in the regular election. They are also roughly equivalent to Party House Leader. So, if their party gets more Members of Parliament elected than any other party, then the "Party House Leader" becomes our Prime Minister. The Leader of the second most popular party becomes the Leader of the Official Opposition.

I hope that makes it clear as mud for you.............:9

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the answer I was looking for -- that PQ was nearing the end of a maximum term. Thanks.

-Isaac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts