Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the pre-event press conference in OZ, it became evident that the third driver rule may NOT be instituted but rather a rule with only two nominated points-scoring drivers. That would make Citroen a little mad, no? Freddy Loix worried?

Also it was suggested that Hyundai's WRC effort may be going under. In fact, Provera referred to "12 cars" or "18 cars" depending on 2 or 3 drivers per team. Hyundai out?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder if there is a rule that would prevent a manufacturer from running two teams, financial considerations aside. One being the official team, running for both manufacturer points and drivers. The other running strictly for drivers points. Most spectators will only be interested in which cars are winning, not necessarly which is getting the most manufacturer points. Citreon for example, could run Sainz on the manufacturer team as he almost is always in the points, and run Colin on the second team, as he would be running at the front of the pack.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The financial considerations are astronomical, however, which would prevent a manufacturer from running a second team. The manufacturers each pay some unbelievable entry fee (like $5 or 10 million) per year to be a recognized manufacturer in the championship.

I don't think even Peugeot could afford to pay a second fee like that each year.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, but the suggestion is that manufacturers enter a second team that wouldn't be going for manufacturer points and would therefore not be subject to that entry fee. Peugeot already enter cars under the Bozian Racing banner when they want to run a fourth car, and do not have to pay the manufacturers fee for them.

What's to stop a manufacturer entering 2 more cars, painting them the same colours as the primary team, getting some very fast (younger?) drivers and just accepting that those cars will not win manufacturer points? Seems like a smart idea to me. Only potential problem I see is that the staellite cars would not be in the "manufacturer" area of the service park, and would be stuck near the JWRC / PCWRC cars with the other A8 non-manufacturer cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts