Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second sentence on the Sno*Drift website:

The first stage rally in America was the 1973 Sno*Drift Rally and ran in the snowy woodlands of central Michigan in midwinter

First Pro Rally? Yes. First stage rally? Hardly.

In America? Sorry Doug, you guys don't exist up north.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Eric:

What was the 1972 POR?

I think Gene Henderson would say that it was a stage rally.

Not to mention the FIA!

Doug Woods

·
Registered
50 Posts
>The second sentence on the Sno*Drift website:
>
>The first stage rally in America was the 1973 Sno*Drift
>Rally and ran in the snowy woodlands of central Michigan in
>midwinter

>
>

But the big $64US question, was it a pro or club rally? By what standards???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>The second sentence on the Sno*Drift website:
>>
>>The first stage rally in America was the 1973 Sno*Drift
>>Rally and ran in the snowy woodlands of central Michigan in
>>midwinter

>>
>>
>
>But the big $64US question, was it a pro or club rally? By
>what standards???

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're asking this out of ignorance. (Although it's a really nice sense of irony if that what was intended.)

There were no "club" rallies in 1973.

The 1972 POR was a World Championship Rally (although that's not what it was called then) and you're asking about a club rally?

Methinks FIA knows a lot more about stage rallies and making them successful than SCCA, but that's another topic.

Sno*Drift was the first Pro Rally only by fact that it was first on the calendar. There were a lot of other stage rallies long before there was a Pro Rally.

And our friends up north -- Canada is indeed a part of "America" -- had a rally or three.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also, 1970 POR had what were then called "M" stages. And as I remember the 1969 Canadian Winter Rally might as well have been one long special stage to a couple of naive kids in a 750GT SAAB running their first snow rally!

The Michigan-based club called Ralligators, and individuals like Gene Henderson, Scott Harvey, Walt Shepherd (Doug's dad), Bob Hourihan and many others in Michigan-Ohio-New York whom I've forgotten knew more about stage rallying even back then than some people do today...

In addition, the Champaign County Sports Car Club in central Illinois had an event called Nocturnal Diffusion, a fast, night TSD rally that had standing-start, flying-finish special stages in 1968. One stage just across the border in western Indiana had a creek crossing just like STPR did later.

GBtheGravelwhezzer

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow! Someone who knows about Nocturnal Diffusion!!!

I've heard many stories from our local "Old-Timers"(no offense intended)about those events....I just wish I'd been around for them...

Pete Gossett

·
Registered
265 Posts
>World Cup Rally, 1970, London to Mexico.
>
>Mexico is also in America, and there were obviously some
>stages.

The competition portion of the 1970 World Cup Rally had ended by the time the surviving rally teams reached the Mexican border.

And there weren't really any stages. The roads were not closed to other traffic. However, the speeds required to make a zero were ... um ... "excessive".

http://vintagerally.com/books/bk_bigdrive.jpg

http://vintagerally.com/books/bk_mexicoorbust.jpg

TW
www.VintageRally.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts